PTO: [NJD] Jimmy Vesey, Tyler Wotherspoon, Mark Jankowski, Frederik Gauthier sign PTO with the Devils

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly there should be no reason any of these guys make the team. The only one that has a actual shot is Jankowski. That's because he is a center and we are missing a bottom 6 center. We got McCleod to hold down one of the lines but the only other center option we have is Boqvist & he's a massive question mark. If Boqvist works out great but if he doesn't we need someone on that 4th line that knows how to play center.

Or it's a way for kids to play players other than... kids. If none of them show anything worth while, oh well thanks for the free practice bodies.

Its not always the case of "nobody wants them at min salary".... sometimes a guy might have a low money offer or a two way offer, but take a PTO to "improve their stock" and gamble on themselves with a good training camp (or if another team has an injury in camp and needs a guy, they might get a better deal)

I mean ok, most of the time its the example you gave lol..... but sometimes no
These guys are here to fill specific gaps. This is going to get pretty detailed about the Devils forward defensive needs so jump ship if you understandably don’t care but people aren’t being realistic about what motivates moves like this.

The team isn’t expecting these guys to suddenly start producing a lot more offensively. It’s not based on hope of future improvement, it’s based on them performing exactly as expected in a reliable manner right now. That’s what you want from vet depth.

The Devils lost two centers (Zajac, Maltsev) and three other forwards (Palmieri, Bastian, Merkley).
They signed one forward to a one-way deal this off-season (Tatar).

The forwards that they lost were 1st (Zajac 2:22), 5th (Bastian 1:14) and 6th (Palmieri) in PK TOI.

So the only remaining guys who played a really role on the PK from last year are:
Sharangovich: 1:46 (who was a rookie)
Nico 1:35 (this was his first season playing big minutes on the PK & he only played 21 games due to injury)
McLeod 1:33 (his first year PKing in the NHL)
Zacha 1:20 (less minutes & less success without a stable partner)

Oh yeah, our PK was the worst in the league.

It was a Lovecraftian horror show with a 71% “success” rate (73% Net PK%) that managed to give up 45 PP goals Against in 148 Power Play Opportunities in 56 games.

The Devils gave up a total of 189 GA, with 45 being PP GA. Our PK murdered us and the only reason our bodies weren’t mutilated in a more horrific manner was because we were the 28th most penalized team in the NHL.

To step back a bit, Ruff made some changes to the PK that seem dicey and the team had zero full practice days to fix issues but it was mainly personnel losses that fueled the decline of what was formally a team strength.

The Devils’ PK had always been reliable because the always reliable Zajac and Greene were the backbone of it. The pairing of Zajac/Coleman and Zacha/Rooney were very strong. And I’m going to going to give a shout out to Lovejoy, who was our best PK guy for three years. Pour one out for Ben.

D5315D3B-DA51-4C0E-BBF9-880A831CC4E7.png

Well, all these guys except for Zacha are gone and Zacha’s strengths at PK are more from his physiology, agility and reach than brain power. (Just saying, not a ton of hockey sense.)

And back to the PTOs. What is the one thing Vesey has historically been good at in the NHL? The PK. And he does not take penalties. It’s not sexy, it’s not particularly valuable to everyone but I’m guessing Ruff would like a guy who can, without doubt, play the PK well as a depth forward.
1A93BADA-64FF-4A72-A110-7D05DF074F1A.png

And Jankowski is a terrifying offensive blackhole but he’s also helpful in the exact same area.

28F30C56-DB2D-412C-B0C2-0D939116433E.png

He also fills another huge hole at bottom six center depth that was created by the loss of Zajac and Maltsev.

The Devils don’t actually have much in terms spare random forwards for the press box. We only have one Tweener with NHL potential who is not waiver exempt, Studenic, the rest of the prospects can come and go from Utica. As I said, we lost five forwards and added one.

The only competition for the spare forward spots these guys have is perhaps the waiver wire, our flexibility from having prospects who all come and go means we can always poach an interesting dude. I still think think these two are basically locks assuming they perform well.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Devil's should have signed Riley Sheahan intead, unless you wanted your 4 line center making NHL minimum.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Devil's should have signed Riley Sheahan intead, unless you wanted your 4 line center making NHL minimum.

Devils might just be keeping their options open. Seems like they want to have a spot for Dawson Mercer to potentially earn. If Mercer needs AHL time, they can sign Jankowski or claim a Sheahan type guy on waivers.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
These guys are here to fill specific gaps. This is going to get pretty detailed about the Devils forward defensive needs so jump ship if you understandably don’t care but people aren’t being realistic about what motivates moves like this.

The team isn’t expecting these guys to suddenly start producing a lot more offensively. It’s not based on hope of future improvement, it’s based on them performing exactly as expected in a reliable manner right now. That’s what you want from vet depth.

The Devils lost two centers (Zajac, Maltsev) and three other forwards (Palmieri, Bastian, Merkley).
They signed one forward to a one-way deal this off-season (Tatar).

The forwards that they lost were 1st (Zajac 2:22), 5th (Bastian 1:14) and 6th (Palmieri) in PK TOI.

So the only remaining guys who played a really role on the PK from last year are:
Sharangovich: 1:46 (who was a rookie)
Nico 1:35 (this was his first season playing big minutes on the PK & he only played 21 games due to injury)
McLeod 1:33 (his first year PKing in the NHL)
Zacha 1:20 (less minutes & less success without a stable partner)

Oh yeah, our PK was the worst in the league.

It was a Lovecraftian horror show with a 71% “success” rate (73% Net PK%) that managed to give up 45 PP goals Against in 148 Power Play Opportunities in 56 games.

The Devils gave up a total of 189 GA, with 45 being PP GA. Our PK murdered us and the only reason our bodies weren’t mutilated in a more horrific manner was because we were the 28th most penalized team in the NHL.

To step back a bit, Ruff made some changes to the PK that seem dicey and the team had zero full practice days to fix issues but it was mainly personnel losses that fueled the decline of what was formally a team strength.

The Devils’ PK had always been reliable because the always reliable Zajac and Greene were the backbone of it. The pairing of Zajac/Coleman and Zacha/Rooney were very strong. And I’m going to going to give a shout out to Lovejoy, who was our best PK guy for three years. Pour one out for Ben.

View attachment 464932
Well, all these guys except for Zacha are gone and Zacha’s strengths at PK are more from his physiology, agility and reach than brain power. (Just saying, not a ton of hockey sense.)

And back to the PTOs. What is the one thing Vesey has historically been good at in the NHL? The PK. And he does not take penalties. It’s not sexy, it’s not particularly valuable to everyone but I’m guessing Ruff would like a guy who can, without doubt, play the PK well as a depth forward.
View attachment 464933

And Jankowski is a terrifying offensive blackhole but he’s also helpful in the exact same area.

View attachment 464944
He also fills another huge hole at bottom six center depth that was created by the loss of Zajac and Maltsev.

The Devils don’t actually have much in terms spare random forwards for the press box. We only have one Tweener with NHL potential who is not waiver exempt, Studenic, the rest of the prospects can come and go from Utica. As I said, we lost five forwards and added one.

The only competition for the spare forward spots these guys have is perhaps the waiver wire, our flexibility from having prospects who all come and go means we can always poach an interesting dude. I still think think these two are basically locks assuming they perform well.

Just so you know, the use of the term "Lovecraftian horror" in any post that also includes a reference to the one and only Ben "Hattrick" Lovejoy is not only a blasphemy from beyond the stars but you also run the risk of shapeless bat-things flopping and fluttering In idiot vortices that ray-streams fan.

To be fair, that last part is a very accurate description of the PK from last season.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Devils might just be keeping their options open. Seems like they want to have a spot for Dawson Mercer to potentially earn. If Mercer needs AHL time, they can sign Jankowski or claim a Sheahan type guy on waivers.
The thing about some Sheahan types, such as Riley Sheahan himself, is that some kind of suck at everything and are a complete waste of space.
ABE2003E-DCDE-4737-A3A8-1C1914F090E3.png

Vesey is legitimately good at PKing, articles discussing the remaining UFAs have mentioned this and the stats back it up. That’s not a skill every team will be most coveting in their depth pick-ups but the Devils have to be for obvious reasons. That and a bottom six center. It is what is.

You never know what will pop up on a waiver wire but most fourth liners aren’t particularly good at 5v5 defense and not as good at PK as Vesey.

The Devils could have addressed this by signing Andrew Cogliano but he might just have wanted to play for the Sharks or go back to CA. (Yes, when he signed back in July I was thinking about how we needed a vet PK guy. Because we need one.)

809C2348-9BE0-4825-AA1C-97F6F8D80105.png

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I still remember half the NHL lining up to sign him as a college free agent.

I remember one of them being Poile and feeling that he was embarrassing himself. Even after Vesey had become a free agent, he still thought that there was a chance of signing him. That wasn't one of Poile's finest moments, IMO, right up there with trying to convince Vegas to trade James Neal back after they took him in the expansion draft. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
With this, the New Jersey Devils become the second team in NHL history to have had both the original and the next Joe Nieuwendyk under contract.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hey, remember it was said "in 10 years Jankowski will be the best player from the draft"

So he's got this season to do it. Jankowski for art Ross 2022
Had one good game in Pittsburgh before falling off the map. Wasn't used particularly well by Sullivan but didn't help his own cause either

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Vesey has really fallen. From not signing with the Preds so he could sign with the Rangers with all this fanfare and now 5-6 short years later he is on a PTO and has played on 4 different teams already with little production.

Definitely - crazy how fast he went from being a sweepstakes prize to a castoff

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Vesey has really fallen. From not signing with the Preds so he could sign with the Rangers with all this fanfare and now 5-6 short years later he is on a PTO and has played on 4 different teams already with little production.
Somehow he's still made around 8 million in the NHL.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I still remember half the NHL lining up to sign him as a college free agent.
Free is free. He still managed 16-17 goals per season his first 3 years. Any team getting that for free should consider it a great signing considering there was no long term contract in place.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
$7.3M Gross sure, those 2 first contracts from the Rangers sure helped and cover most of that total.
The first season on that contract was pretty good value on the cap. 17 goals and 35 points for 2.35 million is probably a cap most GM's would be completely fine with. I don't know how he was used in Buffalo but that second year was a clear drop.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
A year later and Wotherspoon could potentially make his debut for the Devils - after being a stable force for AHL Utica and representing Canada in the World Championship last spring.

Not bad use of a PTO.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am shocked that he is already 29, but good for him. Really put in the AHL time to earn his way back to the nhl

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Free is free. He still managed 16-17 goals per season his first 3 years. Any team getting that for free should consider it a great signing considering there was no long term contract in place.

Finishing a few chances set up by better linemates is literally all he’s ever done though. His defense is atrocious, he’s allergic to contact, he has awful vision and hockey iq, but if you spring him for a breakaway he might score.

Sorry, I just have absolute disdain for the guy. He’s somehow still coasting by on his college accolades and hasn’t looked an nhl talent since his rookie year, yet he keeps playing. There is no spot for him on a long term winning lineup, imo. He’s a good AHLer without the skills for top 6 and completely lacking in the stones for a bottom 6 role.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Finishing a few chances set up by better linemates is literally all he’s ever done though. His defense is atrocious, he’s allergic to contact, he has awful vision and hockey iq, but if you spring him for a breakaway he might score.

Sorry, I just have absolute disdain for the guy. He’s somehow still coasting by on his college accolades and hasn’t looked an nhl talent since his rookie year, yet he keeps playing. There is no spot for him on a long term winning lineup, imo. He’s a good AHLer without the skills for top 6 and completely lacking in the stones for a bottom 6 role.
I disagree. He's not the most talented player but he skates his ass off. He forechecks and doesn't shy away from contract. There's not 1 player in the NYR top 6 with more hits /60 than him. I agree that if you're thinking cup contenders you most likely don't have vesey in your top 9, let alone top 6, but we have a RW problem and he was free. He's not going to toss out hits like Reaves, Carpenter or Blias, but he's not shying away from contact.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I disagree. He's not the most talented player but he skates his ass off. He forechecks and doesn't shy away from contract. There's not 1 player in the NYR top 6 with more hits /60 than him. I agree that if you're thinking cup contenders you most likely don't have vesey in your top 9, let alone top 6, but we have a RW problem and he was free. He's not going to toss out hits like Reaves, Carpenter or Blias, but he's not shying away from contact.

He’s finally figured out his role and has realized this is his last shot in the nhl, then.

He was a miserable waste of a roster spot on the Sabres, and in the devils games I saw he wasn’t much better.

Seriously, congrats if you got a guy who has finally figured it out, but my guess is he regresses to his usual lazy, below replacement player self. Knowing you’re on the edge lights a fire under ya, or maybe he’s finally working with a coach he trusts, but from everything I’ve seen anything positive from him simply isn’t sustained. Honestly can’t believe he’d lead a team in hits/60- dude couldn’t be more perimeter had he sat in the stands during his time in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad