Claimed off Waivers: [NJD] Eric Comrie claimed off waivers by the Devils

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Question is why him?

he has horrible numbers. Kinkaid would have been a much better option. Even Tokarski would have been

I don't know how you can say Kinkaid would be a "much better" option - last season he put up good number in 4 games in Charlotte to go along with absolutely horrible numbers in 13 games at Laval (3.44 GAA & .876 SV%) and 6 games in Montreal (4.24 / .875). His previous season in NJ also wasn't good - 3.36 / .891 in 41 games. Tokarski has some decent AHL numbers, but he's 31 and there's a reason he's only appeared in 1 NHL game the past 4 seasons.

I don't think NJ is getting much in Comrie, but he's 25 so perhaps there's still a little more upside and he's had some decent numbers in Manitoba the past few seasons.

Either way, there wasn't much out there for NJ to choose from. Kinkaid and Tokarski are also both on 2-year deals, whereas Comrie is an RFA after this season which may have played a role in the decision. I don't think they were looking to bring in anyone beyond this season. The Devils sign another vet in the offseason to backup Blackwood next year and they have a few younger guys in the mix that they want to get playing time in the minors (that also meet the expansion exposure criteria), so I doubt they wanted to be on the hook for Kinkaid or Tokarski's contract next season when they won't have a spot for them.

These 3 and Wedgewood are all probably about the same. I think Wedgewood and Comrie will both stay on the roster once Comrie's available and will battle it out to see who's the backup. Adding Comrie just fills the needed 3rd goalie slot that's required this season.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Comrie was an excellent junior goaltender whose flaws made him a worse AHL goaltender and so far have proved easily exploitable by NHL talent. I'm not sure he will ever take the step to be more than an okay AHL goalie, so this isn't a massive loss, but I'm sure losing him is an inconvenience for Cheveldayoff.

Reactions: hn777

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Certainly upgrading to a warmer climate lol
Except he actually liked Winnipeg. Here is a quote after he was reacquired by the Jets last season.

“I always had an idea that it was a possibility they’d bring me back if Arizona or Detroit put me on waivers or tried to trade me,” Comrie said. “You’re never 100% certain but I was extremely happy when it happened. It felt like I was going back home to a place I knew and loved.

Maybe dont take shots at other cities just for fun.

Reactions: jetsforever

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Devils lose more games for a better pick and my over hits every night he plays. Win win in my book

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Yeah, you are likey right.

There are likely 100 better goalies than him in training camps right now. He's ECHL material most probable this season.

In a related story, a Sherman tank was spotted in NJ.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I don't know how you can say Kinkaid would be a "much better" option - last season he put up good number in 4 games in Charlotte to go along with absolutely horrible numbers in 13 games at Laval (3.44 GAA & .876 SV%) and 6 games in Montreal (4.24 / .875). His previous season in NJ also wasn't good - 3.36 / .891 in 41 games. Tokarski has some decent AHL numbers, but he's 31 and there's a reason he's only appeared in 1 NHL game the past 4 seasons.

I don't think NJ is getting much in Comrie, but he's 25 so perhaps there's still a little more upside and he's had some decent numbers in Manitoba the past few seasons.

Either way, there wasn't much out there for NJ to choose from. Kinkaid and Tokarski are also both on 2-year deals, whereas Comrie is an RFA after this season which may have played a role in the decision. I don't think they were looking to bring in anyone beyond this season. The Devils sign another vet in the offseason to backup Blackwood next year and they have a few younger guys in the mix that they want to get playing time in the minors (that also meet the expansion exposure criteria), so I doubt they wanted to be on the hook for Kinkaid or Tokarski's contract next season when they won't have a spot for them.

These 3 and Wedgewood are all probably about the same. I think Wedgewood and Comrie will both stay on the roster once Comrie's available and will battle it out to see who's the backup. Adding Comrie just fills the needed 3rd goalie slot that's required this season.

Tokarski is 31?!

Damn, time flies.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Except he actually liked Winnipeg. Here is a quote after he was reacquired by the Jets last season.

“I always had an idea that it was a possibility they’d bring me back if Arizona or Detroit put me on waivers or tried to trade me,” Comrie said. “You’re never 100% certain but I was extremely happy when it happened. It felt like I was going back home to a place I knew and loved.

Maybe dont take shots at other cities just for fun.

Alright it was unfair of me to say “upgraded” but I meant it more like “moving to a warmer climate” and didn’t meant it as an attack on Winnipeg. I get it, a lot of people around here take shots at the Jets and that wasn’t my intent. I know some people who prefer colder climates to warmer.

It’s a fact that NJ is “warmer” during the hockey season compared to Winnipeg. This has also been stated many times over the years by Winnipeg native Travis Zajac. I also experienced it first hand a few years ago when I visited Winnipeg to see a Devils game in November. It was a high temp that day of 4°F, and NJ only gets that cold about once every 3 years or so.

So again, apologies for coming across like I was taking a shot at your city. I really enjoyed my stay there. I only laughed in my post because many people think NJ is still too cold in the winter, and relative to Winnipeg, it certainly is not.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
New Jersey isn't winning anything this year so even if it's highly improbable, there is still a chance that Comrie can establish himself as a decent backup goalie. If that happens, New Jersey got a free 25-yr old backup. Both Kinkaid and Tokarski are a literal bandaid and don't fit the Devil's timeline, and they aren't the difference between winning or losing a game.

Unfortunately Comrie is the difference between winning and losing but on the losing side of the spectrum. He’ll give up 3 quick goals in succession to bury his own team in a hurry.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unfortunately Comrie is the difference between winning and losing but on the losing side of the spectrum. He’ll give up 3 quick goals in succession to bury his own team in a hurry.

I know Comrie has not had a good showing in Winnipeg and has lost games, but both Kinkaid and Tokarski are equally bad. Might as well take the younger option on the off-chance he improves.

Reactions: HBK27

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm guessing perhaps knowing the likelihood he would otherwise clear and that the Jets would eventually happily re-claim him (and then subsequently send him to the TS or the Moose since he won't need waived a 3rd time in that case) if he goes back on waivers, the Devils are borrowing him for some insurance until they can find a suitable fit to replace Crawford.

It also gives them some flexibility to meet the 3 goalies on the main roster, or 2 on the roster and 1 on the taxi squad if they decide they would rather have Senn and Cormier both playing games in the AHL instead of just practicing with the NHL team on the TS, which would make more sense for Wedgewood or Comrie.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I know Comrie has not had a good showing in Winnipeg and has lost games, but both Kinkaid and Tokarski are equally bad. Might as well take the younger option on the off-chance he improves.

A lot of those options in the Tokarski and Kinkaid realm also have additional years on their contracts that perhaps the Devils weren't interested in adding to the books beyond this season.

That said, considering some of the other short term options that were available, and the Jets lack of goalie depth, it does kind of seem like the Devils are just borrowing him until they figure out if/how they can best replace Crawford.

This move also seems to leave the Jets in an odd spot. It appears they now only have 3 goalies under contract and available to play in NA. I would assume they're going to need a 4th to meet the "carry 3 goalies or 1 on the taxi squad" requirement in the likelihood that one of Hellebuyck, Brossoit or Berdin aren't available at some point.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Does it really matter at this point which goalie the Devils took ? It is not like of the ones available , one might be a potential Vezina candidate.
They are all career backup or AHL goalies. Id go with a young kid and hope he still has potential or room to improve.
That and selecting THE best 3rd goalie is not going to be make or break if the Devils make the playoffs. Whatever very very very slim margin to be a bubble playoff ( LOL) team , died when Crawford retired and Nico being injured to start the season and Bratt and Vatanen under going self isolation procedures until they can joint the lineup.

I can see a problem if they took Comrie over a Dell / Raanta / Hill but none were available.
May as well go the cheap , young(ish) option with a goalie with only 1 year remaining on his contract.

Reactions: My3Sons

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Doesn't he kinda really suck a lot?

He's a early 90s goalie in the 2020's. Always searching for the puck and always recovering, scrambling. Really athletic, but has to work really hard.

Think he's pretty compliant and a great teammate though. That might be part of it.

Reactions: hn777

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Good guy to have on the Moose so I hope he gets some games in (and ideally plays well) and then we bring him back when he's inevitably waived

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->