Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dmitry Kulikov signs with the Devils (1 year, $1.15M)

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Looks like he is 30. Definitely surprised me, thought he was around 27 right now.
I would definitely be open to re-signing him, definitely as long as the ask isn't outrageous. Maybe something like 2 x 2.5 or some contract along similar lines. Cap shouldn't be an issue for NJ any time soon.
We do have a couple of young lhd that have looked solid for us in our training camp in Bahl and Okhotiuk that are playing in the AHL this year. Frankly, I don't think they would take the spot away from Kulikov though for the time frame that the Devils want him on the team.

Ya that seems fair if he continues to supply solid defense even if on the 3rd pair. As you said, cap isn't an issue so slight overpay is fine.
Watched a bit of both NJ-BUF games as I had some bets on those games and others.
Was on the TV in the background as I was reading articles on laptop but saw Ty's goal the other night and was impressed with the NJ wins today.
Back and forth affair but you guys feasted on Hutton.

Bahl came over in the Hall deal iirc?
Have definitely heard some good things about him, so RD is an area of focus for upcoming draft?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Ya that seems fair if he continues to supply solid defense even if on the 3rd pair. As you said, cap isn't an issue so slight overpay is fine.
Watched a bit of both NJ-BUF games as I had some bets on those games and others.
Was on the TV in the background as I was reading articles on laptop but saw Ty's goal the other night and was impressed with the NJ wins today.
Back and forth affair but you guys feasted on Hutton.

Bahl came over in the Hall deal iirc?
Have definitely heard some good things about him, so RD is an area of focus for upcoming draft?
No doubt about it. Our rhd pool is so weak right now. We have Severson, Subban probably until his contract expires next year, and that's about it. We will need to sign someone + focus on drafting a rhd. AKA Brandt Clarke would be the perfect fit for us this draft, as I believe he is the highest ranked rhd right about now. I haven't followed 2021 too closely yet, so I don't really know who the others are.

Bahl did come over on the Hall deal. He was a great prospect to nab, has the size that our prospect pool was severely lacking in. Looks real solid for his size and is a surprisingly good skater at 6'7"

cam7aylor

Jan 26, 2016
Sounds like he's playing for another payday, Liked him on the Jets as a bottom pairing, too bad he was always injured.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No doubt about it. Our rhd pool is so weak right now. We have Severson, Subban probably until his contract expires next year, and that's about it. We will need to sign someone + focus on drafting a rhd. AKA Brandt Clarke would be the perfect fit for us this draft, as I believe he is the highest ranked rhd right about now. I haven't followed 2021 too closely yet, so I don't really know who the others are.

Bahl did come over on the Hall deal. He was a great prospect to nab, has the size that our prospect pool was severely lacking in. Looks real solid for his size and is a surprisingly good skater at 6'7"
a lot depends on smith, who played mostly on the right side in juniors. currently he is deployed on the left side and he looks fine. if smith can play on either side, the urgency to add rhds gets a little softer.
among bahl, okhotyuk, misyul and shak, there is a good chance the devils have a pipeline, who can fill in at one or two spots on the left side of their d-pairs mid to long term. severson still has a few years of contract. vatanen and subban are most likely just gap filler on the short term. murray and kulikov might be a little more on the left.
mccarthy and walsh are the only notable rhd prospects and both probably are just bottom pairing d's of different ilks. walsh is pmd, who needs sheltering on defense. mccarthy is a defensive oriented d, who won't help much the offensive production.
draft is only one avenue the devils have to pursue to build the organizational depth for the right side. they should also look to acquire younger veterans or prospects, who are further along with their development, like the did with the addition of bahl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->