Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dmitry Kulikov signs with the Devils (1 year, $1.15M)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg has no defense and they let him go ?
They are in the process of trying to improve their defense. Saying that $1.15 M is good value for Kuli, and if he can stay healthy will be a sloid bottom pairing addition.

Jwads

May 24, 2010
Detroit
I haven't really watched him play that much. Does he hit or play agressive at all ? Does he have any sort of "mean" in him ? Devils have no one like that besides maybe Subban who throws an odd hit or two.
Good enough for PK1 or more of a PK2 player?
I'm guessing he slides in on the left side on bottom pairing with Smith ?

I really hope that Fitz is not done adding D. I like the signing as he is an upgrade to what we had last year in the bottom 5/6 , but still need a legit top paring D or even a 2/3/4 guy....
Dunn Sergachev Cernak type.

He loves to throw hip checks. Search youtube. There are some good ones.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I doubt Vatanen's price has gotten this low yet, also Devils needed someone left handed.
I hope Sami can get more than 1.15m , I’m rooting for him (unless he signs with the Devils too).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
One year, he is clearly a placeholder. NJ's depth chart falls off very quickly. They need insurance given Murray's injury history and the fact that most of our D prospects have no pro experience.

If all goes well he;ll get bumped by a prospect by the end of the year and become a healthy scratch/traded.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Good deal, bad player. I don't know who he can be described as solid defensively when his MO has been to play himself out of position. Like forever.

Reactions: hn777

Inno

Jan 14, 2007
Calgary
Solid defensively depth LHD for 1 year, can't really complain. I guess it means that neither Greene nor Vatanen come back.

I think Greene, Martin, Schneider all have handshake deals with Islanders that will be announced after Barzal, Pulock.

Reactions: hidek91

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Man I somehow forgot he was on the team and was a UFA
I'll miss him on the Jets although his loss shouldn't have much effect.
Hope he does well in NJ

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good luck, he is awful lol

Have you seen the rest of the Devils?

It's still a rebuilding year, so expectations aren't too high in NJ. Devils had a hole on the bottom pairing/7th D spot and adding a one-year stopgap while several D prospects gain pro experience is the way to go.

The top 4 is Severson, Subban, Murray & Butcher. Ty Smith may also work his way into the top 4 depending on his play and the inevitable injuries. That leaves Carrick and now Kulikov for the 6/7 spots.

Looks like Kulikov was probably overused last season as his ATOI jumped from 15:40 in 2018-2019 to 20:01 last season. Without injuries they should hopefully be able to keep him at 3rd pairing minutes.

The Devils don't have a lot of NHL-ready depth on defense at the moment. Jacobs and White are the top call-up options that played in the AHL last season, but they've combined for just 12 NHL games and don't appear to have much of an NHL future. Prospects such as Bahl, Walsh and Okhotyuk may be able to carve out NHL futures but don't have any pro experience and will likely start the year in Binghamton.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad