Confirmed Trade: [NJD/BUF] Wayne Simmonds (50% retained) for cond. 2021 5th round pick

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Someone has to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.

Sabres last 10, 6-3-1, 20 games remaining at that pace 12-6-2 for 92 points.

Toronto's last 10 pace 4-5-1. 19 games remaining at 4-5-1 pace is 8-10-1, finishing with 89 points.

Florida Panthers are also in free fall. L10 of 3-7-0, less realistic to expect them to continue to pace that horribly, so lets give them Leafs pace, 20 games remaining 8-10-2 finish with 88 points.

It's not likely that the Leafs or Panthers continue to be this bad, and it's not likely that Buffalo keeps up their good pace either. It's not like the Sabres need to go 20-0-0 to and the Leafs/Panthers to go 0-20-0 to sneak in.

Edit: I don't see how acquiring Simmonds helps the Sabres pull this off though.
2011, the Buffalo Sabres go 16-4-4 to streak in to the playoffs. Is possible, it's very possible. And as for Toronto, having defense helps, they don't have it and didn't address it. Florida, they are the question mark, we'll see.
As for Simmonds, it's a solid add and actually addresses a Sabres need, net front presence, and Simmonds brings it.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He is better then Frolik and Vesey that is all that matters. We finally have a player with jam and I am happy. A f***ing 5th rounder oh no!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Watch him play. He is bad now. Doesn't matter if he gets points. He is a net negative

he is also painfully allergic to actual goal scoring. He can’t play defense.

I legit couldn’t watch him fail at scoring at sure thing goals anymore. I couldn’t do it. I am glad he is gone.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This makes no sense, unless Boterill is trying to tank.

The Kings were bad with Simmonds, but got much, much better after they moved him
The Flyers were good before Simmonds, and were really bad with him. (those two might have had something to do with who went the other way)
Nashville was good before Simmonds, bad when he got there
NJ was always bad, but they at least thought they'd get better, but didn't
When the Sabres drop, then we'll know why
Correlation is not equal causation.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
He is better then Frolik and Vesey that is all that matters. We finally have a player with jam and I am happy. A f*cking 5th rounder oh no!
Just the fact that we finally have a player that will make the other team accountable when players take liberties with Jack and Dahlin makes it worth it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t think the “we will feel better that someone had to fight after injuring our star player” is really the thrust of this trade.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Seriously WTF is he doing?

He's buying! Next round's on JB!

fathead.jpg

In any event, even Current Year's version of Simmonds is something that Sabres really don't have in the lineup besides Lazar, someone who will drag semi-interested teammates into the game.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds net front presence on the PP...was the one thing that declined that I never expected. I thought he would always have that similar to like Mike Knuble who only lost his his last 100 games at the age of 38ish. Simmonds is 31.

Simmonds last 140 games, he has 10 PP goals

His worst season in Philly he had 11 PP goals ....lockout year paced for 11 too.

Now look at points...last 140 games 17 PP points. His worst season in Philly he had 16 points.

So now his PP goals and points are roughly HALF of what his WORST season's were in Philly. That's a big decline.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I could've done without Simmonds, but Botterill moved out two NHL players, and brought two back.

Simmonds' game has fallen off a cliff and I don't expect playing in Buffalo is going to bring it back. My best case scenario is that Krueger doesn't give Simmonds the Bogosian treatment and play him in important situations over more comptent players, but he's already been penciled in on the second line for the next game, so SMDH.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
We are expecting little to no offense from him, which I think is a bit different than expectations in Nashville and NJ. He brings an element of toughness that we simply do not have up front and this is a chance for him to audition up close for 20 games to see if he fits. The hope is that he can be a decent role player and an emotional leader of sorts who drags his teammates into the fight, because this team tends to get sleepy at times and could use more energy and emotion. Even in a bad year on a bad team he was having a better offensive year than the guys we shipped out so I don’t really see any downsides to this.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Man, what a weird trade. Still don't get it.

Guy plays 11 mins/game on a team destined to a bottom 10 finish.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Simmonds net front presence on the PP...was the one thing that declined that I never expected. I thought he would always have that similar to like Mike Knuble who only lost his his last 100 games at the age of 38ish. Simmonds is 31.

Simmonds last 140 games, he has 10 PP goals

His worst season in Philly he had 11 PP goals ....lockout year paced for 11 too.

Now look at points...last 140 games 17 PP points. His worst season in Philly he had 16 points.

So now his PP goals and points are roughly HALF of what his WORST season's were in Philly. That's a big decline.

I don't think NJ used him much in that spot on their PP. Maybe that was because he'd lost his touch, or maybe it's still there and just not being tapped into.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think NJ used him much in that spot on their PP. Maybe that was because he'd lost his touch, or maybe it's still there and just not being tapped into.
It's not there. It declined in Philly...now here we are with Nashville, NJ and Buffalo as a sample size and Simmonds decline has been been obvious:

30(pace)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad