Confirmed Trade: [NJD/BUF] Wayne Simmonds (50% retained) for cond. 2021 5th round pick

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I was confused at first, but it basically looks like Buffalo wants to take Simmonds for a test drive to see if he’s worth signing. Could be a good fit as they need right wingers and grit.
Someone gets it.
Simmonds plays with the type of jamb that most of the Sabres forwards lack. They have almost nobody signed for next year. Good move for Simmonds if he wants to be close to home as he can lock down a roster spot and the Sabres get a mentor type that can patrol the 3rd line

Reactions: paulmm3

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Because they're 6 points out of a playoff spot, teams ahead of them are slipping, the Sabres have been winning lately, and everyone in Buffalo is f*cking sick of losing? If all it costs is a conditional late pick in next year's draft, why wouldn't the Sabres add to a position of weakness to try and make a late push for a WC spot?
Don’t you mean position of strength? If there’s one thing this team is loaded on it’s washed up and/or sub-replacement level forwards.

This move is akin to adding yet another right shot defenseman

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Anyone talking about the Sabres making a push for the playoffs, do some math would you?

Like, just take a look at the standings and consider what it would take for the Sabres to make it....

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Why are the Sabres adding rentals? Even though the Panthers and Leafs have played like garbage, they are still much better than the Sabres.
Buffalo's Defense says otherwise. In case you haven't noticed, they are pushing, 6 points out now, and closing the gap, rapidly.
I'll put Buffalo's D against either of the Toronto's or Florida's, with the way they've been playing of late. It is net minding they should have addressed, while Ullmarks out Johansson hasn't looked bad as a back up, but Hutton...………….yikes...……..roll the dice on any given night.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Buffalo's D is better than Toronto's and Florida's, so ya, they will "have at it", and successfully I might add. It pays to have defense.

Should Buffalo be making trades to rise in the standings? I just don't see how they should feel like that's the way to go.

But I don't really care either. Just saying it's a weird move and good luck with that.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
a conditional 5th for a 50% retention seems like a low risk move to me i'm fine with it for a group that really needs middle 6 forwards. A 5th is hardly every going to turn out to be a good player anyway.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Should Buffalo be making trades to rise in the standings? I just don't see how they should feel like that's the way to go.

But I don't really care either. Just saying it's a weird move and good luck with that.
Team needs to stay relevant a little longer this year. Some kind of progress. Frolik was a terrible trade, maybe they hope to get some veteran play from Simmonds instead? Okposo is the team dad right now, hardly anyone on the team in their thirties.
Team has been soft all year as well.

not saying I think it's a good trade but there are at least thinkable reasons for this one which is a lot better than past ones.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
whats the problem? Sabres could use a tougher player, he also most likely just replaces a UFA F out the door (Sheary, Frolik etc) without having to replace from Rochester (for Amerks playoff run)

Think guys, bring in Wayne to hopefully replace Frolik or Sheary (move them out). They dont want to mess with Rochester who is on a playoff push to fill in. Gives the illusion to the lockerroom that they're still 'in it'..gutting them now with no replacements after playing well of late would wreck what they're at least attempting to build, could use some of Waynes toughness since theyre charmin soft too.
This wasn't rocket surgery

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Simmonds brings 4 things Buffalo was lacking -

-grit
-net front presence
-veteran leadership
-right shot forwards

And they gave up a 5th round pick 2 years from now w/50% retention. What are the chances that pick ever turns into an NHL player?

I think most buffalo fans know that we aren’t making the playoffs. But just staying in the race till the end of the year would be a win in my book. Our core guys haven’t ever played meaningful games in March and April. Just doing that would be a step forward.

Buffalo is digging out of a big hole they’ve been in for years. Baby steps.
They can’t collapse to end another season. They need some positive growth.

I see this as a no-risk move for Buffalo. If Simmonds works out, then great. Sign him for cheap. If not, he leaves in free agency.

Reactions: qqaz and Kyndig

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Anyone talking about the Sabres making a push for the playoffs, do some math would you?

Like, just take a look at the standings and consider what it would take for the Sabres to make it....
Someone has to finish 3rd in the Atlantic.

Sabres last 10, 6-3-1, 20 games remaining at that pace 12-6-2 for 92 points.

Toronto's last 10 pace 4-5-1. 19 games remaining at 4-5-1 pace is 8-10-1, finishing with 89 points.

Florida Panthers are also in free fall. L10 of 3-7-0, less realistic to expect them to continue to pace that horribly, so lets give them Leafs pace, 20 games remaining 8-10-2 finish with 88 points.

It's not likely that the Leafs or Panthers continue to be this bad, and it's not likely that Buffalo keeps up their good pace either. It's not like the Sabres need to go 20-0-0 to and the Leafs/Panthers to go 0-20-0 to sneak in.

Edit: I don't see how acquiring Simmonds helps the Sabres pull this off though.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

It's more of a message to the team that management believes that they're capable of making the playoffs. After nine years of missing the playoffs, very few guys on the Sabres have played meaningful games post-February. This will hopefully have a positive impact on the locker room and players. Even if the Sabres miss the playoffs, which they're most likely going to do, not giving up towards the end will have a positive effect on the players who are returning next year. Progress and the atmosphere in the room are important, especially for younger guys like Dahlin and Eichel.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
This is like giving up a late pick to acquire a player two weeks before free agency except this way you get to test drive the idea. Pretty smart.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad