Claimed off Waivers: [NJD] Aaron Dell claimed off waivers by the Devils

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Is it going be where goalies go on waivers and continue to be picked by other teams ?

If so should be a very tough times for these goalies and interesting year in nhl

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maybe Toronto didn't want a division team with a goalie issue to have their goalie issue fixed for a measly 6th round pick.

Sucks though. We need a goalie.
I dont think TOR wanted to lose the goalie so werent going to trade him to anyone. They hoped that Dell would clear and be on the taxi squad.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dell could have been the oilers starter....
There is y real difference between him and Smith and Kos
Chances on Dell being Oilers starter were the same as him being TML starter.. minimal to none.
Oilers only need him because AHL claimed goalie is quarantined and Smith is out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dell could have been the oilers starter....

There is y real difference between him and Smith and Kos
So yet again, like Forsberg, its maybe smart for the GM but takes away an opportunity from the player

Reactions: DFF

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Back to the search for beer leaguers to fill the taxi squad goalie spot for the Oilers again.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Now what am I going to do with all the Aaron Dell = Arendelle jokes I was saving for his first Leafs game!?

073_NEW_Tickler-File-Original_small.jpeg

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So yet again, like Forsberg, its maybe smart for the GM but takes away an opportunity from the player
its actually good for the players involved. They continue to get NHL money with a chance to suit up in NHL instead of being on taxi squad.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I dont think TOR wanted to lose the goalie so werent going to trade him to anyone. They hoped that Dell would clear and be on the taxi squad.
That'd be dumb, they must've known there was a very good chance he doesn't clear.
Take a pick, demand a 4th if you must...
Edmonton should've been desperate enough to pay up, especially to get a capable goalie asap.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
its actually good for the players involved. They continue to get NHL money with a chance to suit up in NHL instead of being on taxi squad.
It's good in that way, but Edmonton had a great opportunity right now. Dont you agree that Forsberg would love the chance to play as our starter? Hes 28, around when we got Talbot and Koskinen. It's getting late for him to move up or else be a career back up. We have to be the best spot in the league for someone like him. Now these guys are back-up or 3rd string

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
To focus on the player for a bit, Dell is a good goalie, and is absolutely a quality backup. He was starter quality for a spurts there in San Jose.

I wouldn't expect him to ever be a starter, long term. But he's better than his puny contract suggests. And it's a great pickup for a team needing a competent and experienced backup.

He's not Crow. But he's a lot closer than anyone else available. He'll carry the mail in a pinch. Positionally sound, and can handle a decent workload.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Chances on Dell being Oilers starter were the same as him being TML starter.. minimal to none.
Oilers only need him because AHL claimed goalie is quarantined and Smith is out.

It would have been better than the TML. Who do the Oilers have after Koskinen? And Koskinen is not that good.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Thank god. Now every non-Blackwood game won't be an auto loss
Yes , no way in hell the Devils could go the entire season with having the goalies they had before Dell was claimed. They would have to score 4-5 goals to have a chance to win with Wedgewood or Comrie in net.
Still sucks Crawford retired as I was excited about a Blackwood / Crawford duo ( which would have been very good and under rated IMO)
Dell is miles better than anyone else the Devils had outside of Blackwood .
Is it safe to say Dell is a legit top 60 goalie in the league ?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It would have been better than the TML. Who do the Oilers have after Koskinen? And Koskinen is not that good.
Koskinen is a lot better than Dell and Smith is after Koskinen.
Koskinen is as good\bad as Andersen. Nothing elite but good enough.

Oilers just need someone until Smith is healthy again.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
if that was Dubas' thinking, then I have questions about him as a GM (i mean, moreso than before lol)

In a season where Eric Comrie gets claimed off waivers. where Anton Forsberg gets claimed twice.....everyone and their mother knew there was a SLIM chance Dell would pass thru.
If the rationale was "we see the 3-5% chance he clears as more valuable than a 6th or 7th", i could understand that....but if the logic was they thought he would get thru.....yikes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To focus on the player for a bit, Dell is a good goalie, and is absolutely a quality backup. He was starter quality for a spurts there in San Jose.

I wouldn't expect him to ever be a starter, long term. But he's better than his puny contract suggests. And it's a great pickup for a team needing a competent and experienced backup.

He's not Crow. But he's a lot closer than anyone else available. He'll carry the mail in a pinch. Positionally sound, and can handle a decent workload.
I have to disagree. Dell is not a good goalie. He's average at best. He wasn't even good enough to dislodge Jones as the #1 with the Sharks and Jones has been BAADD for the last couple of years. I certainly wouldn't want him as the Flames #2. and I suspect the majority of fans here would agree... unless their current goalie situation is such a cluster**** that they're willing to consider anyone over what their options are now.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton is playing with fire.

1 Koskinen injury and that can be curtains for their season.

they are also going to tire Koskinen to the ground.

I know Markstrom rejected them and this was sorta their backup plan but how Holland thought a Koskinen / Smith duo was suffice is beyond me.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Edmonton is playing with fire.

1 Koskinen injury and that can be curtains for their season.

they are also going to tire Koskinen to the ground.

I know Markstrom rejected them and this was sorta their backup plan but how Holland thought a Koskinen / Smith duo was suffice is beyond me.

Unless they trade for a goalie ( who exactly ) or sign Howard out of retirement and hope he's not as bad as his numbers with the Wings last year suggest what other options do the Oilers have ? Pretty sure Devils had waiver claim priority here. Goalie market is completely bare. Team right now are fighting over scraps .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->