Speculation: NJD 2nd Round Picks as trade pieces

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
If the Devils didn’t have a Top 3 pick, I’d imagine it’d been possible they’d use that pick as a trade asset. Now that they have the 1st overall, that isn’t likely.

The Devils have 3 second round picks, one being the 34th. What are some trades that the Devils can make that involve the 34th OA and use other picks and prospects to get a Top 6 RW/LW?

This is how I see the forward core assuming the Devils pick Jack Hughes:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Coleman-Hughes-xxx
Zacha-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-McLeod-Anderson

One trade idea:

:devils
Tyler Johnson (with waiving his NTC)

-Devils put Johnson on as the 1st or 2nd line RW to play along with Hischier or Hughes.

:bolts
34th OA
Higher 2019 2nd pick of Boston and Nashville
Rights to Jesper Boqvist

-TB clears $5 million off cap to sign Point and gain 2 2nds and a really good prospect drafted in 2017.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'd give you connor brown for your 2nd and a decent but not great defensive prospect.

He's a decent, fast, defensively sound, 2nd/3rd line winger, with good historical finish.

He could likely round into a 2nd line two way winger.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd give you connor brown for your 2nd and a decent but not great defensive prospect.

He's a decent, fast, defensively sound, 2nd/3rd line winger, with good historical finish.

He could likely round into a 2nd line two way winger.

Brown is fantastic, he is among my favorite Leafs, he is in no why shape or form a 2nd liner

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Just trade 34th and 80th for Kapanen. And if the leafs don't take that, offer sheet him using the 2020 2nd. There's your 2RW.

Reactions: Smitty426

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Isn't Tyler Johnson a center? I don't think Tampa does that deal even if it means clearing salary.

I think a deal around Butcher and one of Zacha/McLeod is more likely (not for Johnson, but as pieces available for a general draft/summer trade), alongside some surplus picks. Those guys have become expendable due to the quality of our drafting.

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Isn't Tyler Johnson a center? I don't think Tampa does that deal even if it means clearing salary.

I think a deal around Butcher and one of Zacha/McLeod is more likely, alongside some surplus picks. Those guys have become expendable due to the quality of our drafting.
Not for Tyler Johnson, no.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If the Devils didn’t have a Top 3 pick, I’d imagine it’d been possible they’d use that pick as a trade asset. Now that they have the 1st overall, that isn’t likely.

The Devils have 3 second round picks, one being the 34th. What are some trades that the Devils can make that involve the 34th OA and use other picks and prospects to get a Top 6 RW/LW?

This is how I see the forward core assuming the Devils pick Jack Hughes:

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Coleman-Hughes-xxx
Zacha-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-McLeod-Anderson

One trade idea:

:devils
Tyler Johnson (with waiving his NTC)

-Devils put Johnson on as the 1st or 2nd line RW to play along with Hischier or Hughes.

:bolts
34th OA
Higher 2019 2nd pick of Boston and Nashville
Rights to Jesper Boqvist

-TB clears $5 million off cap to sign Point and gain 2 2nds and a really good prospect drafted in 2017.

I don't believe that would be nearly enough for TB to trade Johnson, who is signed for four more years at a reasonable cap hit.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Just trade 34th and 80th for Kapanen. And if the leafs don't take that, offer sheet him using the 2020 2nd. There's your 2RW.
Interesting!

How about taking Horton's LTIR cap hit for 1 year/Kap for Steven Santini and our lowest 2nd (Dal/Nsh) in 2019?

If TBL, I'd choose JT Miller over Johnson who has to waive his NTC (which I dont see happening) Miller is one less contract yr, 2 yrs younger bulkier at 6'1, TJ is 5'8

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Much more likely that their 2020 first rounder, at most top 3 protected, is on the table the second the season ends. Based on what Fitzgerald says, they want to keep their own second this year.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Interesting!

How about taking Horton's LTIR cap hit for 1 year/Kap for Steven Santini and our lowest 2nd (Dal/Nsh) in 2019?

If TBL, I'd choose JT Miller over Johnson who has to waive his NTC (which I dont see happening) Miller is one less contract yr, 2 yrs younger bulkier at 6'1, TJ is 5'8
The Leafs don't care about cash spent on LTIR. They aren't going to attach a high value player like Kap to get rid of $5+ of LTIR money.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The Leafs don't care about cash spent on LTIR. They aren't going to attach a high value player like Kap to get rid of $5+ of LTIR money.
Ok makes sense, but where is the money coming from? Its not the actual money, I knwo they could give a damn about it, its cap.
Marner gets paid. Zasitsev probably to OTT? Horton for something? They will have to do SOMETHING!

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Ok makes sense, but where is the money coming from? Its not the actual money, I knwo they could give a damn about it, its cap.
Marner gets paid. Zasitsev probably to OTT? Horton for something? They will have to do SOMETHING!
Horton's money goes onto LTIR as soon as the season starts - in the off season they can exceed the cap by 10% (I think), so while moving Horton's money would help in the off season, I don't see the Leafs adding a player of Kaps level to make a deal happen. Brown, or some lower mid round pick(s), sure, but I think they will exhaust all other options before attaching an asset to clear Horton's LTIR money.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Strictly looking for younger guys with term? If not Frolik for late 2nd or a 3rd could be a temporary solution, devils could flip at the TDL if it’s not a fit

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Horton's money goes onto LTIR as soon as the season starts - in the off season they can exceed the cap by 10% (I think), so while moving Horton's money would help in the off season, I don't see the Leafs adding a player of Kaps level to make a deal happen. Brown, or some lower mid round pick(s), sure, but I think they will exhaust all other options before attaching an asset to clear Horton's LTIR money.

If you replace Johnsson instead of kapanen, I think that's not a bad deal for either side

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils need D. Use those 2nds + McLeod + Mueller/Santini (they don't have a ton of value but they're still NHL-worthy players) and try to get a top 4-D from a cap-strapped team. Should go the UFA route for filling out the offense with an Eberle or bringing back Johansson.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I might be wrong (my wife says I am all the time!) But Hortons cap hit goes against Tor season cap. Yes they can exceed by 10% pre-season, but his $5.3M for next year counts against the cap, its just that insurance picks up the tab, not teams owners. At least that's what I believe it to be. And if so that benefits TMLs while trying to find money for Marner this summer.
I am sure you are correct, the brain trust in Tor will do everything to not give away assets.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I might be wrong (my wife says I am all the time!) But Hortons cap hit goes against Tor season cap. Yes they can exceed by 10% pre-season, but his $5.3M for next year counts against the cap, its just that insurance picks up the tab, not teams owners. At least that's what I believe it to be. And if so that benefits TMLs while trying to find money for Marner this summer.
I am sure you are correct, the brain trust in Tor will do everything to not give away assets.
Horton's money technically counts against the cap, but once he is on LTIR the Leafs can exceed the cap by the dollar value of the player on LTIR. So yes his cap is listed, but they are also given the exact same $5.3 over the cap to replace the injured player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad