OT: NJ experts/residents Help Needed!

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Hi everyone,

My brother in law will be travelling to Newark, New Jersey next month for an exam. And, he needs to find some temporary housing while he's there. His course is 2 months long, from May 1st to July 1st at 1 Gateway Center, Newark, NJ 07102.

I'm trying to search in Craigslist, but all the units appear to be in the thousands. Since it appears to be downtown Newark, all the units are presumably highrise condo units. He doesn't need anything fancy. He just needs a clean room, a bathroom, a bed and a desk to study.

So what areas should I be searching in that's close to the Gateway Center by bus or train (short commute), and preferably away from drive-bys :sarcasm: (do they still exist?)

Thanks in advance.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'm no expert but if you can't find anything in Newark for 2 month rental, I'd look into stops along the PATH train.. This includes Harrison (closest and I know they just put in apartments by the train stop), Jersey City, Secaucus, and Hoboken.. Might be able to sublet in Hoboken and it's definitely a fun area.. I know Newark has apartments across Mulberry Street from the Gateway Center, but I've heard they are expensive and I'm not sure if they do 2-month leases

Edit: No drive-bys in the downtown area where the Gateway Center is lol.. You only really see small things like iPhone thefts in that area during the day, so tell him to keep it in his pocket.. And I wouldn't walk the streets much from midnight to day break either, as the riffraff do come out in the middle of the night in that area, but otherwise it's really no less safe in the downtown than most other cities are during the day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad