Value of: NJ Devils Veterans

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I'd be pretty happy if we get a similar return to Black Coleman (former 1st round prospect + cond 1st or 2rd) for Palmieri.

Gusev - 3rd
Kulikov - 2rd
Zajac - 2rd (Praying for Lou to do it)
Murray - 4rd
Vatanen - 6rd
We already have the Islanders 2nd round pick for this year from the Greene deal.

Reactions: John Pedro

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm a little surprised that Seaverson is on your untouchable list because I'm not convinced that he actually is.

Also Surprised you haven't listed Miles Wood
Sevs is playing very good this year, it woudl take overpayment and we finally see that Miles Wood can play (maybe not stop, but play!). He would be overpayment too IMO, worth more to us that his actual value.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Eventhough Murray was bought for a fifth, I wouldn't sell him unless it is a first. Even then, it would be questionable. He is only 27. And if we signed him 4 years around $5million that would be a great siging. He wasn't worth a 5th, but considering the teams up against the cap, that was his value at the time. Why would I trade a pick for a top pairing defenseman(although injury prone) that is young and could probably be given a cheap contract considering Covid?
Palmeiri. One of the only players that actually shoots the puck. If we couldn't sign him to a three year deal, trade him for a young sniper. NJ has Covid as an advantage and should be able to sign players for cheap.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Eventhough Murray was bought for a fifth, I wouldn't sell him unless it is a first. Even then, it would be questionable. He is only 27. And if we signed him 4 years around $5million that would be a great siging. He wasn't worth a 5th, but considering the teams up against the cap, that was his value at the time. Why would I trade a pick for a top pairing defenseman(although injury prone) that is young and could probably be given a cheap contract considering Covid?
Palmeiri. One of the only players that actually shoots the puck. If we couldn't sign him to a three year deal, trade him for a young sniper. NJ has Covid as an advantage and should be able to sign players for cheap.

:whaaa?:

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
What would you rather have. A top pairing defenseman that is in his prime and should be a top pairing D for the next four years, or another late first that "might" be a top four D?

Are you saying Murray is a top pairing defenceman in his prime? Because that's just not true.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Are you saying Murray is a top pairing defenceman in his prime? Because that's just not true.
It certainly is true. He is playing like a #2 defenseman and is only 27. and even if it wasn't true, and he was a #3 defenseman with experience do we just take another late first rounder who may become what Murray is?

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
It certainly is true. He is playing like a #2 defenseman and is only 27. and even if it wasn't true, and he was a #3 defenseman with experience do we just take another late first rounder who may become what Murray is?

Murray is a#4 defenceman with a chronic back problem who we acquired for a 5th round pick. He is not a top pair guy who you can trot out on a nightly basis against the other teams best line.

I said earlier I would trade him for a 2nd round pick, I would think about a 3rd. Anything less than that, we keep him and try to sign him to a short term (1-2 years) at reasonable money. He is not a player you give a long term contract to for big money so you have to look at potentially moving him.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Murray looked great before the COVID break. He’s looked like a completely different player after the pause...and not in a good way. No way is he 100%

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Murray is a#4 defenceman with a chronic back problem who we acquired for a 5th round pick. He is not a top pair guy who you can trot out on a nightly basis against the other teams best line.

I said earlier I would trade him for a 2nd round pick, I would think about a 3rd. Anything less than that, we keep him and try to sign him to a short term (1-2 years) at reasonable money. He is not a player you give a long term contract to for big money so you have to look at potentially moving him.
I guess we can agree to disagree. If you think he is a #4 defenseman, that is your opinion which I strongly disagree with. If you want to trade him away for someone who is going to spend a career as a bottom 6 AHL plug, then that would be your choice. I would rather keep him if I was only going to get that for a return. I also did say that we acquired him for a fifth as well. And Covid and the salary cap had a lot to do with that. Prior to that I think most peoprl agreed he was worth a late first or a Second. Everyone was shocked we got him for a fifth.
I'll keep him. '
You can keep drafting your Connor Chathams, Quennevilles, Matteaus, Speers, Jacobs, Santini, Ben Johnson, Merrils, Gelinas and Josefsons.

Reactions: MichaelJ

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Murray is a tough call because skill wise he is easily a top four guy who can help on the defensive side. However, he has dealt with so many injuries I would hesitate to give him a multi year deal

Reactions: Puckclektr

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

He's a pending free agent who has been a healthy scratch in multiple games in the last couple of weeks

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I like Murray a lot. He’s a top 4 when healthy. He looked like a top 2 at the beginning of the season. He just can’t stay healthy and that’s why we got him for so cheap. I’m not giving him a multi year deal. One year extension would be nice

Reactions: MichaelJ

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I’m not trading palms for anything less than a late first and I’m not trading goose for anything less than a second. I will hold on to them and if no team makes a good offer I’d let them walk as a ufa with nothing in return. Some team will pony up come trade deadline

Be prepared to be disappointed mate.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
He really hasn't been top 4 caliber in a while. Maybe for a little while when the Devils got him, but that was more than three years ago now. He's had some injuries and he was never the fastest guy to begin with.

Yeah Sami has really fallen off the cliff recently. He was definitely top 4 caliber for Devils before getting steamrolled by Kucherov, but has been hit and miss ever since. The second headshot by Brassard just as he was getting back wasn't helpful.

Vats did show glimpses for Canes and he has an uncanny ability to thread a shot/pass through traffic, but Hamilton's return highlighted his dilemma really. Offensively he's quite not good enough to challenge for top PP minutes in a full strength contender, and if you don't use him there, then what's the point of having him? Defensively he's always struggled with bulky forwards and while he used to counter that with grit and feistiness way above his weight class, he's lost the edge somewhat there. Finally, there have always been questions around his mobility. His backward skating for one isn't top notch, and he will get coned every now and then by explosive skaters. In today's NHL that just won't do.

I've always been a huge fan (loved the coffee incident) and Sami is a great personality to have around, but you have to wonder if he's just not cut out for it any more. He will be moved at TDL for a late pick and you should give him one more chance to prove his mettle in the big league. But at this stage it's 50/50 really if he isn't KHL bound next year.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Oh and one more thing re. Vats. IMO he used to be money back in the day next to Clayton Stoner, who while something of a pylon was nevertheless a defensively responsible big body. Back then Sami could roam and showcase his offense while Clayton compensated somewhat for his shortcomings. So if you have a spare hulk of a Stoner on your LD, go ahead and give it a try.

Having said that, I think Sami's adapted his style of play since those halcyon days. Don't know how much of that is coaching and what is due to team needs and supply v demand esp. when he first became a Devil, but IMO he's been trying to reinvent himself as a responsible safe-and-sound defense-first kinda guy who steers away from flamboyant offensive plays. Which to me is senseless, because offense and outlet play used to be his very thing, and honestly he isn't really built for stay-at-home defense, but what do I know.

Reactions: Blackjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->