Value of: NJ Devils Veterans

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I'd be pretty happy if we get a similar return to Black Coleman (former 1st round prospect + cond 1st or 2rd) for Palmieri.

Gusev - 3rd
Kulikov - 2rd
Zajac - 2rd (Praying for Lou to do it)
Murray - 4rd
Vatanen - 6rd

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I'd be pretty happy if we get a similar return to Black Coleman (former 1st round prospect + cond 1st or 2rd) for Palmieri.

Gusev - 3rd
Kulikov - 2rd
Zajac - 2rd (Praying for Lou to do it)
Murray - 4rd
Vatanen - 6rd

If we can get a 2nd rounder for Kulikov I'd be ecstatic. Don't see it happening though. Probably a mid round pick.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
If we can get a 2nd rounder for Kulikov I'd be ecstatic. Don't see it happening though. Probably a mid round pick.

Yeah 2rd would be the dream scenario, but he's been good and lots of playoffs team could use a reliable #5 guy that is good defensively and doesn't make many mistakes (besides last night)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kulikov looks good because he's playing on the 3rd pairing, where he belongs. Florida, Buffalo, and Winnipeg all tried to play him in their top-4 and he got ran out of town. He is not a reliable mentor for younger players and he is not a top-4 D. If you want playoff depth, a guy who can play a regular shift on the 3rd pairing or be part of a rotation then he's your guy. But those players don't get moved for 2nds.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Kulikov looks good because he's playing on the 3rd pairing, where he belongs. Florida, Buffalo, and Winnipeg all tried to play him in their top-4 and he got ran out of town. He is not a reliable mentor for younger players and he is not a top-4 D. If you want playoff depth, a guy who can play a regular shift on the 3rd pairing or be part of a rotation then he's your guy. But those players don't get moved for 2nds.

Agreed. We picked him up off the scrap heap and he has been useful. If we can get a 4th rounder for him I take it and run.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I guess I am alone here with wanting to keep Kulikov. I know people say we can try to resign him in the offseason , but I do not see the point of sending him off for a 3rd or later round pick and hopes he doesn't hold a grudge and would want to resign as a UFA. Id prefer to offer an extension.

Reactions: MichaelJ

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
If we don’t get at least a 2nd for Murray I’d much rather risk not moving him and try to re-sign him instead. Dude is the bonafide boring defensive dman we need

I feel the same about Murray but his injuries worry me, especially if his back issues are chronic. 2nd rounder I move him for sure, 3rd rounder I think about it. Anything less than that, I keep him and try to re-sign him on a short term deal.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

He's playing 17-19 minutes a night with no power play time and doing it well (his advanced stats are excellent). That's good enough for a 2nd round pick all day long. Especially with his super cheap salary, I think there will be a bidding war for him and we might even get a 2nd and a prospect.

I guess I am alone here with wanting to keep Kulikov. I know people say we can try to resign him in the offseason , but I do not see the point of sending him off for a 3rd or later round pick and hopes he doesn't hold a grudge and would want to resign as a UFA. Id prefer to offer an extension.

Even if it's a 3rd it's worth doing. We've plucked plenty of useful players out of the mid rounds in recent years, but you need extra picks because a lot of them do wash out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm don't want to bring him back simply because getting attached to depth guys is a recipe for disaster. You get stuck with a Brad Lukowich, a Mike Mottau, a John Moore, a Mirco Mueller. Bring a guy in as a 5/6, he plays well enough in that role so you give him a few more years, then guys leave or get hurt and suddenly he's getting +20 minutes a night in your top-6 and you're stuck with a completely different player than the one you signed.

Smith is going nowhere, Butcher is under contract for another season (maybe Seattle takes him but who knows), and I'm guessing Bahl and Okhotiuk are going to be pushing for full time spots next year. If we need another bottom pairing guy those aren't hard to find. Lets both politely shake hands and go our separate ways.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’m not trading palms for anything less than a late first and I’m not trading goose for anything less than a second. I will hold on to them and if no team makes a good offer I’d let them walk as a ufa with nothing in return. Some team will pony up come trade deadline

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
What's up with Gusev? Has his play fallen off that much from last year? Thought he looked like he could be one of your building blocks last year...

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
What's up with Gusev? Has his play fallen off that much from last year? Thought he looked like he could be one of your building blocks last year...

Night and day between last season and this season. He’s been completely useless this year.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Gusev was bad defensively last year (had to play with Zajac and Coleman, two good defensive forwards) and this year he is also bad offensively, too much of a finesse player for NHL IMO. Way too much.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gusev was awesome the 2nd half of last year

Gusev this year looks like a totally different player...not really sure what it is, but he has been really bad. Maybe its the system?

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I’m not trading palms for anything less than a late first and I’m not trading goose for anything less than a second. I will hold on to them and if no team makes a good offer I’d let them walk as a ufa with nothing in return. Some team will pony up come trade deadline

You ask for that but at the end of the deadline, you take what you can get. Only way you hang onto them is if you plan on keeping them and the answer to both should be no. Palms and Gusev look like players who both want a trade out of NJ. They are literally doing nothing.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You can't work at a proper rebuild if you hold all the good players back.
....aaaahhhhhh, yes you can, in fact that is actually what a rebuild is. Move out all the older players that won't contribute once the team is in their competitive window and add assets to your young core. With the exception of Severson every one of the players on the untouchable list are 24 or younger - this is what a re-build is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad