Players who ARE available include (all pending UFA, NJ can retain salary):

Kyle Palmieri
Ryan Murray
Nikita Gusev
Travis Zajac
Sami Vatanen
Dmitri Kulikov
PK Subban (another year)

What would you give for some of these dudes?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Palmieri isn't a bad option, what is the ask for him @ 50%?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Palms is a 2nd line goal scorer and Murray is a top 4 LHD

They all have value, even Gusev because of his production last year and his KHL record. Team needs scoring for the playoffs and they miss out on the big gun UFA rentals they trade a 3rd or a 4th for a wildcard in Gusev that might turn into a PPG winger. Absolutely.

Sorry, one exception, no one will trade for Subban with another year at $9 million. He's not going anywhere. I don't even think the Devils could get rid of him if they retained 50%.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
They all have value, even Gusev because of his production last year and his KHL record. Team needs scoring for the playoffs and they miss out on the big gun UFA rentals they trade a 3rd or a 4th for a wildcard in Gusev that might turn into a PPG winger. Absolutely.

Sorry, one exception, no one will trade for Subban with another year at $9 million
. He's not going anywhere. I don't even think the Devils could get rid of him if they retained 50%.

If they retain 50% and take back a UFA contract they could probably find a taker, especially if there is a team chasing the 4th place. Don't underestimate the good ol' panic TDL move.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I agree with the OP and the list with some minor tweaks.
Kulikov should be kept and resigned . He has been very solid.
I’d add Butcher and lesser prospects like Boqvist Merkley etc. to the list if its a change of scenery type trade toward a young forward with some finish or a RD

I’m guessing that one or more of the players on the untouchable list would have to be included to try to get Monahan or Gaudreau?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If they retain 50% and take back a UFA contract they could probably find a taker, especially if there is a team chasing the 4th place. Don't underestimate the good ol' panic TDL move.

You're right, no guarantee but it's possible. Honestly getting rid of Subban even with 50% retained would make me happier than just about anything else that could happen before the deadline.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’d add Butcher and lesser prospects like Boqvist Merkley etc. to the list if its a change of scenery type trade toward a young forward with some finish or a RD

I’m guessing that one or more of the players on the untouchable list would have to be included to try to get Monahan or Gaudreau?
Would be funny if jets overpay to get kulikov back.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I'd trade Kulikov and try to sign him again in the offseason. I don't think Boqvist or Merkley have value. Butcher might be playing his way into some trade value if NJ retains.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
How's Ryan Murray been? Doesn't look like he's scoring much and is injured again, but was his defensive play at least sound? I hope Vancouver has interest in him as a stabilizing D-man (on a discount and for signing as a UFA, if Edler leaves).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
How's Ryan Murray been? Doesn't look like he's scoring much and is injured again, but was his defensive play at least sound? I hope Vancouver has interest in him as a stabilizing D-man (on a discount and for signing as a UFA, if Edler leaves).

Honestly Kulikov is playing better and is a lot cheaper. Murray started out okay but had a few questionable games before he got hurt.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
You're right, no guarantee but it's possible. Honestly getting rid of Subban even with 50% retained would make me happier than just about anything else that could happen before the deadline.

If a team like Vancouver manages to fight their way back to a close race for the 4th i would have Benning on speed dail. I could totaly see something like

:devils
Taner Pearson - UFA

:nucks
P.K Subban (50% retained)

Vancouver fans will probably hate it, but it just feels like something a panicking Benning would do for 'Veteran depth'.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Why would the Devils trade any of the players listed on the first list...?

I'd trade bratt as a key piece to get a better player back. I have no desire to trade him, but I wouldn't be unwilling to move him either in the right deal

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Wow, thats too bad. He was a top four guy not too long ago, and he is still under 30..what happened to him?

He really hasn't been top 4 caliber in a while. Maybe for a little while when the Devils got him, but that was more than three years ago now. He's had some injuries and he was never the fastest guy to begin with.

It's funny, it seemed like a big deal when he was traded for Henrique, now Henrique is clearing waivers and Vatanen is a depth guy.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Honestly Kulikov is playing better and is a lot cheaper. Murray started out okay but had a few questionable games before he got hurt.

Even defensively?! Thought Kulikov's been inconsistent at best in his career, and Vancouver's looking for a partner for the elder Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->