Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJ] Devils sign Miles Wood (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
he scored 4 in one game. the kid is a fast goon. nothing more.
You're mixing him up with this guy.

bndy.jpg

Reactions: kyle o connor

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Lol a fast goon that can put up 19 goals with little PP time while averaging 12 mins of ice time.

One bad hit in his career doesn't make him a goon.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Good deal. Andrew Shaw makes 4. Wood is fast, has proven he's a 20g guy. Can fight. I thought he'd get more than 3 for sure.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
This is the deal I thought Tom Wilson would get before the Caps laughably gave him what they did

Reactions: Tripod

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good contract for both sides.

Wood didn't have much leverage, but still walks away set for life with $11M guaranteed.

He could certainly outperform this contract if he continues to improve and earns a top 6 role. Even if he tops out as a 3rd liner, it's a fair deal. Devils still have one more year of control at the end of this deal as he'll be a RFA. They also apparently didn't have to give any no trade protection.

Wood gets a salary boost to $3.5MM the final year, which NJ would then have to qualify him at for the 2022-2023 season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Is that a good deal? I only saw him a couple of times and he was incredibly fast but nothing else really stood out.

It is for a few reasons. It's basically market value. Wood is still very young as far as hockey experience. He's really not been playing ultra competitive hockey for that long. 19 goals in basically 12 mins a game last year. He was a different player when he came back from suspension, in a bad way, but if he gets back to where he was it's great. Super fast, hits, not afraid to get dirty and should be the net presence on the PP. Still a RFA at the end of the deal I believe too.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I like the deal. It might seem a bit rich at first glance, but honestly if we were to sign him to a 2 year bridge and he improves on his last season he'd be due a huge payday the same year as Hall, Nico and Bratt. I'd rather play it safe, lock him up long term (he's still UFA at the end of 4 years) and have more flexibility next offseason to go after a big FA fish like Karlsson, Duchene or Stone.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I like the deal. It might seem a bit rich at first glance, but honestly if we were to sign him to a 2 year bridge and he improves on his last season he'd be due a huge payday the same year as Hall, Nico and Bratt. I'd rather play it safe, lock him up long term (he's still UFA at the end of 4 years) and have more flexibility next offseason to go after a big FA fish like Karlsson, Duchene or Stone.

How is a near 20 goal scorer under 3 mil considered "a bit rich"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->