NJ.com hockey fan map

Ders Effect

Jul 27, 2015
More proof that Ocean County should not be called South Jersey, especially anywhere above Toms River.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We've come a long way as a fanbase.

Early on there were no Devils fans at the south shore or below 195 inland.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
More proof that Ocean County should not be called South Jersey, especially anywhere above Toms River.

According to the NYT baseball fan map (based on the number of Facebook fans each team has by zip code) the only part of Ocean County that could be said to be Philadelphia territory is Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor, and even that's only 38% Phillies, 38% Yankees, and 10% Mets, so a plurality of NY fans.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html#10,39.683,-74.377

Likewise, their NBA fan map basically says the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html#9,39.856,-74.848

All of Ocean County except for Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor are Knicks territory, and even there, there are more Knicks fans than Sixer fans, but there are more Laker fans than Knick fans.

Little Egg Harbor was taken from Burlington County and added to Ocean County, which was originally part of Monmouth County, so it all makes sense in the end.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
In the 1987-88 season, Devils games were broadcasted on radio affiliates in:

Manhattan
Trenton
White Plains, NY
Randolph
Utica, NY

Dale Arnold was the PBP guy and Larry Brooks did the color commentary.

GhostofKenKlee

According to the NYT baseball fan map (based on the number of Facebook fans each team has by zip code) the only part of Ocean County that could be said to be Philadelphia territory is Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor, and even that's only 38% Phillies, 38% Yankees, and 10% Mets, so a plurality of NY fans.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html#10,39.683,-74.377

Likewise, their NBA fan map basically says the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html#9,39.856,-74.848

All of Ocean County except for Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor are Knicks territory, and even there, there are more Knicks fans than Sixer fans, but there are more Laker fans than Knick fans.

Little Egg Harbor was taken from Burlington County and added to Ocean County, which was originally part of Monmouth County, so it all makes sense in the end.

The totals for yankees fans is pretty impressive in deep red Phillies country considering how hard it is to watch a yankees game in that terrority.

GhostofKenKlee

depends on where you live in the state. My friends in bergen refer to Old Bridge as South Jersey.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
The totals for yankees fans is pretty impressive in deep red Phillies country considering how hard it is to watch a yankees game in that terrority.

Yeah, pretty impressive. In most of Atlantic and Cape May, Phillies fans are under 60%. That's crazy.

Compare to North and Central Jersey where Yankees alone are usually over 60% and when you add the Mets the pro-New York numbers are huge.

And it's not like the Phils have been terrible for the last 10 years. They won a championship in 2008 and have been in the playoffs nearly every year until just recently.

The Devils could easily put a dent there, but they weren't doing enough outreach while they were dominant.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
They won over 100 games in 2011 and were a .500 team in 2012... it's only been since 2013 that they've sucked, but the Mets and Yankees haven't been very good either. My team (NYM) hasn't made the postseason in 9 years.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I'm a Philadelphia sports fan in everything but hockey and though I'm not from New Jersey originally, I am from one of those Philly/NYC mixed fan areas (Lehigh Valley - which is in the Philadelphia TV market, so it doesn't get NYC area sports channels but it pretty much has always gotten the NYC area over-the-air channels like Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 11 on cable systems, plus they are available over-the-air to some people). Here's my perceived breakdown by sport, particularly for the Lehigh Valley and NEPA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area), but for mixed fan areas in New Jersey as well. (With NJ it isn't so much the breakdown of Philly team vs NYC area team, but the relative popularity of the NYC area teams to each other.):

HOCKEY
*In the Lehigh Valley, the Flyers are dominant; there are few NYC area team fans. I'd guess the Rangers are slightly more popular than the Devils, and both are definitely more popular than the Islanders. When you get into Phillipsburg, it tilts more towards the Devils and Rangers, but the Flyers are still the most popular team there. I'm guessing you need to go as far east as Clinton (which is largely outside the Lehigh Valley sphere of influence, unlike Phillipsburg) to get a majority of Devils or Rangers fans over Flyers fans. In NEPA the Flyers are still quite a bit more popular than the Rangers or Devils, and the Penguins have probably become the second-most popular team there over the Rangers and Devils since they put their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre in the late 1990s.

BASEBALL
*This is the sport where New York teams, particularly the Yankees, make the most inroads. The Phillies are definitely the most popular team in the Lehigh Valley, but the Yankees are a solid second, probably with somewhere between 30-40% as many fans as Phillies fans (i.e. Phillies have 2.5 to 3.3 times as many fans as the Yankees do). In NEPA, the Phils and Yanks have close to a 50/50 split; I'd guess the Yankees are slightly more popular. The most notable thing in both areas is how much more popular the Yankees are than the Mets; I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say there are 10 Yankees fans for every Mets fan in the Lehigh Valley. It probably isn't quite that extreme in NEPA, but I'd guess the ratio is at least 5:1 Yanks/Mets.

FOOTBALL
*The Giants are probably the second-most popular New York area team in eastern PA in any sport behind the Yankees. In the Lehigh Valley, Eagles fans dominate, but the Giants have a sizable minority of fans, probably on the order of 20-25% of Eagles fans. In NEPA, the Eagles/Giants fan ratio probably is something like 2:1 in favor of the Eagles. Much like the baseball comparison but not at as an extreme level, the Giants are much more popular than the Jets in both the Lehigh Valley and NEPA, probably something like 4:1 or 5:1 in both areas. The other notable thing is how many ****tsburgh Squealers, I mean Pittsburgh Steelers fans there are in both areas; I'd guess the Steelers rank ahead of the Giants (and Jets) in both areas, especially NEPA (but only slightly ahead in the Lehigh Valley), and aren't too far behind the Eagles in popularity in NEPA.

BASKETBALL
*This is a sport that doesn't register with a lot of people, especially in NEPA. The 76ers are definitely more popular than the Knicks (or Nets) in the Lehigh Valley, and probably somewhat more popular than the Knicks in NEPA. As in other sports, the Manhattan-based and/or longer-established NYC area team (Knicks) is significantly more popular than the "new" team (Nets).

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm a Philadelphia sports fan in everything but hockey and though I'm not from New Jersey originally, I am from one of those Philly/NYC mixed fan areas (Lehigh Valley - which is in the Philadelphia TV market, so it doesn't get NYC area sports channels but it pretty much has always gotten the NYC area over-the-air channels like Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 11 on cable systems, plus they are available over-the-air to some people). Here's my perceived breakdown by sport, particularly for the Lehigh Valley and NEPA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area), but for mixed fan areas in New Jersey as well. (With NJ it isn't so much the breakdown of Philly team vs NYC area team, but the relative popularity of the NYC area teams to each other.):

HOCKEY
*In the Lehigh Valley, the Flyers are dominant; there are few NYC area team fans. I'd guess the Rangers are slightly more popular than the Devils, and both are definitely more popular than the Islanders. When you get into Phillipsburg, it tilts more towards the Devils and Rangers, but the Flyers are still the most popular team there. I'm guessing you need to go as far east as Clinton (which is largely outside the Lehigh Valley sphere of influence, unlike Phillipsburg) to get a majority of Devils or Rangers fans over Flyers fans. In NEPA the Flyers are still quite a bit more popular than the Rangers or Devils, and the Penguins have probably become the second-most popular team there over the Rangers and Devils since they put their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre in the late 1990s.

BASEBALL
*This is the sport where New York teams, particularly the Yankees, make the most inroads. The Phillies are definitely the most popular team in the Lehigh Valley, but the Yankees are a solid second, probably with somewhere between 30-40% as many fans as Phillies fans (i.e. Phillies have 2.5 to 3.3 times as many fans as the Yankees do). In NEPA, the Phils and Yanks have close to a 50/50 split; I'd guess the Yankees are slightly more popular. The most notable thing in both areas is how much more popular the Yankees are than the Mets; I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say there are 10 Yankees fans for every Mets fan in the Lehigh Valley. It probably isn't quite that extreme in NEPA, but I'd guess the ratio is at least 5:1 Yanks/Mets.

FOOTBALL
*The Giants are probably the second-most popular New York area team in eastern PA in any sport behind the Yankees. In the Lehigh Valley, Eagles fans dominate, but the Giants have a sizable minority of fans, probably on the order of 20-25% of Eagles fans. In NEPA, the Eagles/Giants fan ratio probably is something like 2:1 in favor of the Eagles. Much like the baseball comparison but not at as an extreme level, the Giants are much more popular than the Jets in both the Lehigh Valley and NEPA, probably something like 4:1 or 5:1 in both areas. The other notable thing is how many ****tsburgh Squealers, I mean Pittsburgh Steelers fans there are in both areas; I'd guess the Steelers rank ahead of the Giants (and Jets) in both areas, especially NEPA (but only slightly ahead in the Lehigh Valley), and aren't too far behind the Eagles in popularity in NEPA.

BASKETBALL
*This is a sport that doesn't register with a lot of people, especially in NEPA. The 76ers are definitely more popular than the Knicks (or Nets) in the Lehigh Valley, and probably somewhat more popular than the Knicks in NEPA. As in other sports, the Manhattan-based and/or longer-established NYC area team (Knicks) is significantly more popular than the "new" team (Nets).

Clinton is clearly Devils first, Rags 2nd, hardly any Flyers fans around there.

Phillipsburg area used to lean heavier towards the Flyers in the 80s/90s but now there are many Devils fans there, I'd call it majority Devils overall just from knowing a few Devils fans who live out there and what they tell me.

If we can get a perennial strong team again that makes Cup runs you will see a ton of Devils fans coming out of the woodwork all across the state with the exception of the counties in the shadows of Philly (Ex: Camden, Gloucester) and southwest (Salem, Cumberland).

As far as PA goes, a lot of people from NJ & NY have moved out there in the last decade so it's not a shock anymore to see cars with PA tags and Devils fans in them.
Especially in the Easton/Bethlehem and Stroudsburg areas.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I've spent quite a bit of time in the Lehigh Valley lately, but I've never lived there, so I don't claim to be anything close to an expert. That said, I saw a lot more Yankees paraphernalia than anything to do with Philadelphia. Hats, shirts, bumper stickers, you name it. I'm thinking that the Lehigh Valley is trending towards NY vis-a-vis PHI, similar to Central New Jersey. As more New Yorkers migrate to those areas, and as locals are more likely to be able to watch New York teams on TV, they'll gravitate more towards them. People who have deep roots in the area and old timers will still stubbornly support their Philadelphia teams, but the future seems to be dim for them.

Don't know anything about the local hockey scene in Phillipsburg, Easton, Allentown, or Bethlehem so I won't comment on the Devils popularity in those towns.

It's definitely more affordable in LV than in NJ, so I can see why people move there... and it's not a very far drive, either.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I've spent quite a bit of time in the Lehigh Valley lately, but I've never lived there, so I don't claim to be anything close to an expert. That said, I saw a lot more Yankees paraphernalia than anything to do with Philadelphia. Hats, shirts, bumper stickers, you name it. I'm thinking that the Lehigh Valley is trending towards NY vis-a-vis PHI, similar to Central New Jersey. As more New Yorkers migrate to those areas, and as locals are more likely to be able to watch New York teams on TV, they'll gravitate more towards them. People who have deep roots in the area and old timers will still stubbornly support their Philadelphia teams, but the future seems to be dim for them.

Don't know anything about the local hockey scene in Phillipsburg, Easton, Allentown, or Bethlehem so I won't comment on the Devils popularity in those towns.

It's definitely more affordable in LV than in NJ, so I can see why people move there... and it's not a very far drive, either.

Believe me, and though I'm admittedly biased as a Phillies fan, I can see through my bias - the Phillies are significantly more popular than the Yankees in the Lehigh Valley, though the Yanks are the clear #2 MLB team there and are significantly more popular in that area than any other MLB team. (I should note that although I'm a Phillies fan, my father, who is originally from Bloomsburg, PA in NEPA, is a Yankees fan, and I'm one of those rare people who neither loves nor hates the Yankees.)

What you may also be seeing if you are a New York sports fan and particularly a Yankees fan is a lot more Yankees stuff than stuff for other New York area teams in the Lehigh Valley. Among the New York area's 9 NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL teams, the Yankees definitely ARE the most popular team in the Lehigh Valley.

BTW, I agree about the drive - it's not hard to get the Rock for a weekend game from my parents' house (90 minutes tops in normal weekend traffic conditions). Additionally, my parents and one of my brothers who lives in the area like to go to minor league baseball games, and they particularly like going to see the Somerset Patriots in Bridgewater. I've gone with them a couple times when I've visited, and the trip to Bridgewater is only a little more than an hour even on a weeknight.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
What you may also be seeing if you are a New York sports fan and particularly a Yankees fan is a lot more Yankees stuff than stuff for other New York area teams in the Lehigh Valley. Among the New York area's 9 NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL teams, the Yankees definitely ARE the most popular team in the Lehigh Valley.

Nah, I'm a Mets fan. Hate the Yankees, but hate the Phillies more.

Only New York team I hate more than their Philadelphia alternative is the Rangers.

No Mets fans in LV, that much is obvious.

Yankees gear is everywhere though. Can't even say it's hip hop culture or whatever, because the LV doesn't seem very hip hop to say the least. ;)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nah, I'm a Mets fan. Hate the Yankees, but hate the Phillies more.

Only New York team I hate more than their Philadelphia alternative is the Rangers.

No Mets fans in LV, that much is obvious.

Yankees gear is everywhere though. Can't even say it's hip hop culture or whatever, because the LV doesn't seem very hip hop to say the least. ;)

One of the things that always turned me off about the Yankees was just how cool it was to like the Yankees. It's still like that in certain areas. I think I've seen more Yankees hats in random places around the country than any other baseball team, or possibly any other sports team at all. And then that stupid ****in Limp Biscuit guy always wore a Yankees hat too, though the Yankees were also the best team in baseball at the current time. That was the middle of their 4 world series in 5 years when he was first getting big.

The Yankees were going through some meh years when I got into baseball though. The Mets were actually the better team in that period. The Mets wound up winning the world series in 86 and the Yankees hadn't had won the title in close to a decade at the time. I have a friend who claims he was told at work by his boss as a kid to remove his Yankees hat because the boss didn't like the Yankees and thought it was bad for business. This was during those years where the Yankees weren't doing much, before the mid 90s resurgence.

I don't have a problem with the Yankees though, I actually never disliked them either. I just was a Mets fan. I would even root for the Yankees in playoff games and stuff because my family were all Yankees fans. I always thought it was perfectly acceptable to be a fan of the Yankees and Mets, as well as both the Giants and Jets. Most people I knew did not think that way though. The Yankees and Mets weren't really rivals, neither are the Giants and Jets. To me it was never like someone claiming to be both a Rangers and Devils fan or Nets and Knicks fan. Those teams were actually rivals, whereas the Giants and Jets play each other once every 3 or 4 years in the regular season? And the Mets and Yankees never played each other in the regular season until interleague play started in the late 90s.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
It's frustrating. That said, the bandwagon BS goes beyond any one sport.

The Yankees are just the most visible, but I see Mexican kids all over NY/NJ wearing Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Manchester United, etc. jerseys. Never actually Mexican or American soccer teams. And soccer jerseys cost a lot more than a $10 adjustable Yankee hat.

On the topic of the NHL, visible Ranger fans are all over now, whereas just a few years ago, before they made it back to the finals, they were pretty quiet. Henrique made sure of that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Clinton is clearly Devils first, Rags 2nd, hardly any Flyers fans around there.

Phillipsburg area used to lean heavier towards the Flyers in the 80s/90s but now there are many Devils fans there, I'd call it majority Devils overall just from knowing a few Devils fans who live out there and what they tell me.

If we can get a perennial strong team again that makes Cup runs you will see a ton of Devils fans coming out of the woodwork all across the state with the exception of the counties in the shadows of Philly (Ex: Camden, Gloucester) and southwest (Salem, Cumberland).

As far as PA goes, a lot of people from NJ & NY have moved out there in the last decade so it's not a shock anymore to see cars with PA tags and Devils fans in them.
Especially in the Easton/Bethlehem and Stroudsburg areas.

Come on Devils fans in PA, speak up.
I see a lot of you at games with PA plates and Devils jerseys/bumper stickers/license plate frames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad