Proposal: NJ - CAR

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think these two teams could be good trading partners, but not sure if either of these work as a basis?

Deal #1

Haydn Fleury (RFA)
2020 3rd (Buffalo)

for

Pavel Zacha (2.25)

Two former top 10 picks who haven't progressed as quickly as their peers.

Devils add a much needed young LD who I think should be able to play in their top 4 for the foreseeable future, and another draft pick.

Hurricanes clear their backlog of LD and add a big body center with a great release who is excellent on both special teams.

Deal #2

Jake Gardiner (4.05)
Nino Niederreiter (5.25)
2020 3rd (Buffalo)

for

Subban (9.0)

Devils add another draft pick and add a couple of veterans to surround their young core.

Hurricanes clear a few undesirable contracts and their LD backlog while picking up another RD to fill out their top 6 D core:

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Subban

Who adds?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm not a fan of the first trade because I like what Fleury is bringing and I don't find Zacha a need in our forward group.

The second trade I have no idea. Has his bonus for next year already been paid, or are the Canes on the hook for that?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm not a fan of the first trade because I like what Fleury is bringing and I don't find Zacha a need in our forward group.

The second trade I have no idea. Has his bonus for next year already been paid, or are the Canes on the hook for that?
Yes, just got paid$6M

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Per Bob McKenzie, annual signing bonuses were paid July 1.

That trade seems shocking, but actually could make sense. It's about even in cap but shorter for Carolina to get out from under half the cap, and with Subban's bonus paid it's much cheaper in salary for Carolina in 20-21.

In terms of performance of all 3? Who knows??

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
First trade isn't interesting as other Canes fans have noted. Fleury has played great and the Canes already have an overabundance of middle-6 forwards.

If you told me prior that you had a Subban to Carolina trade I would like I would say no chance. But I actually do like that trade and could see why it may make sense for NJ. Good thought.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I was thinking about something along those lines as well, but feel like that's too much for NJ to give up considering Nino is kind of a cap dump for Carolina.

I’d probably give up 20OA for Fleury by himself, honestly.

Nino is just there to sweeten the pot for Carolina. Plus, we could use a top-6 forward, and I like the idea of Nino/Nico together.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Canes would say no to the first one I think, at this point I'd much rather have Fleury than Zacha, let alone adding.

As for the 2nd trade, I like it. It's different thinking and original and it has its merit for both club, well thought.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Honestly I think Fleury > Zacha at this point, he's progressed slowly but nicely and is starting to come into his own...plus he shouldn't be too expensive to keep around OR be Expansion fodder/option. Zacha it seems stalled early and doesn't improve our forward group in any way at all...we're looking to dump/upgrade and I don't see where Zacha would fit in our abundance of "middle 6" players"

Second one is, interesting? He would improve our "grittiness" for sure, but I just don't know. The point would be to offload guys like Nino/Gards/Dzing for cap space to re-sign Hamilton & Svech...swapping it out for 2 years of PK leaves us no room for that and finding another taker next year might be nigh impossible

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Back of the napkin calculation for 21-22 in the 2nd deal:

Foegele (~2.5) - Aho (8.45) - Teravainen (5.4)
Svechnikov (~8.45) - Trocheck (4.75) - Necas (.86)
X - Staal (6) - X
X - Geekie (~1) - X

Slavin (5.3) - Hamilton (~8.25)
Pesce (4.025) - Subban (9)
Skjei (5.25) - Fleury (~2.5)

X
X

The total of the listed cap is ~$71.74 mil. Budget $6 mil for the tandem and that leaves ~$3.76 mil for 4 forwards, spares and deadline space. Skjei would have to go in concert with that trade. Trocheck's cap might also need to be reallocated into multiple cheaper pieces, with Necas moving to center. Feasible, I suppose.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
in another thread, a few of us (including Canes fans) had discussed Bean + Nino for Kyle Palmieri...is that something other Canes fans would be okay with?

I don't really want to trade Palms but that is the type of deal I would think long and hard about.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
in another thread, a few of us (including Canes fans) had discussed Bean + Nino for Kyle Palmieri...is that something other Canes fans would be okay with?

I don't really want to trade Palms but that is the type of deal I would think long and hard about.

default_letssee.gif

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I wouldn't be super against it, but I'd hate giving up Bean for 1 yr of Palmieri unless all UFA options fall through

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Deal #2

Jake Gardiner (4.05)
Nino Niederreiter (5.25)
2020 3rd (Buffalo)

for

Subban (9.0)

Devils add another draft pick and add a couple of veterans to surround their young core.

Hurricanes clear a few undesirable contracts and their LD backlog while picking up another RD to fill out their top 6 D core:

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Fleury - Subban

Who adds?

This is a really solid deal and makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I’d probably give up 20OA for Fleury by himself, honestly.

Nino is just there to sweeten the pot for Carolina. Plus, we could use a top-6 forward, and I like the idea of Nino/Nico together.
Dont think we should be giving up 20OA for a project defenseman

We could target someone younger like Bean considering, if we take cap from Carolina, they dont have the wiggle room to be very picky

A 24yr old defenseman whos had trouble sticking in the NHL doesnt seem like the best use of assets

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

We could target someone younger like Bean considering, if we take cap from Carolina, they dont have the wiggle room to be very picky

A 24yr old defenseman whos had trouble sticking in the NHL doesnt seem like the best use of assets

Fleury played really well at the end of the year and in the Playoffs. He was #3 in 5v5 ice time in the Playoffs and scored two nice goals. He's been a slow burn on development but is shaping into a very good, big, physical, mobile 2nd pairing D who still has additional upside IMO.

As a Canes fan I'd prefer to trade Bean and keep Fleury so that would be good with me. Just giving my opinion on the deal. I'd like to see Fleury get a bigger role somewhere. Unfortunately that will probably be for Seattle if he isn't traded as Ron Francis drafted him to begin with.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

To Fleury's credit, there's been a logjam at D in Carolina that he's been stuck behind and is just beginning to get his shot.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
To Fleury's credit, there's been a logjam at D in Carolina that he's been stuck behind and is just beginning to get his shot.

I'll preface this by saying I still think Haydn Fleury has good potential, and is worth more than Pavel Zacha. But. The "logjam at D" argument has been used to explain his limited role for some time, and in the last year the Canes have brought in Edmundson, Skjei, Gardiner, and Vatanen. So it's also fair to say that Carolina seemed to prefer to maintain that logjam over giving him a larger role.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Back of the napkin calculation for 21-22 in the 2nd deal:

Foegele (~2.5) - Aho (8.45) - Teravainen (5.4)
Svechnikov (~8.45) - Trocheck (4.75) - Necas (.86)
X - Staal (6) - X
X - Geekie (~1) - X

Slavin (5.3) - Hamilton (~8.25)
Pesce (4.025) - Subban (9)
Skjei (5.25) - Fleury (~2.5)

X
X

The total of the listed cap is ~$71.74 mil. Budget $6 mil for the tandem and that leaves ~$3.76 mil for 4 forwards, spares and deadline space. Skjei would have to go in concert with that trade. Trocheck's cap might also need to be reallocated into multiple cheaper pieces, with Necas moving to center. Feasible, I suppose.

You really think Svechnikov and Hamilton will command that kind of coin? I was thinking Svechnikov would come in around $7.5M considering Aho's contract.

If Hamilton wants 8.75 I'd let him walk honestly.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'll preface this by saying I still think Haydn Fleury has good potential, and is worth more than Pavel Zacha. But. The "logjam at D" argument has been used to explain his limited role for some time, and in the last year the Canes have brought in Edmundson, Skjei, Gardiner, and Vatanen. So it's also fair to say that Carolina seemed to prefer to maintain that logjam over giving him a larger role.
True. I think they've done him a service developing him so slowly. Defenseman need so much more time to incubate.

After watching him in the playoffs I think he's ready to be a top 4 defenseman. He's got all the tools.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Thats fair. I just like the age of Bean and his potential a bit more than Fleury, though Fleury is more the style of defenseman we need.

I wouldnt be upset in any way if we acquired Fleury, I just think it can be done without giving up one of the late 1sts considering Carolina needs to shed cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad