Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
New Jersey:
Sam Bennett
Mike Smith
1st 2019

Calgary:
Cory Schneider

This is just a start, anyway. But for me a deal like this would make sense considering New Jersey has two starters right now, they seem to be sold on Kinkaid. Calgary is looking to contend, but they need a guy like Cory Schneider.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
New Jersey:
Sam Bennett
Mike Smith
1st 2019

Calgary:
Cory Schneider

This is just a start, anyway. But for me a deal like this would make sense considering New Jersey has two starters right now, they seem to be sold on Kinkaid. Calgary is looking to contend, but they need a guy like Cory Schneider.

Not doing our first and a Sam Bennett.

Counter with Mike Stone and Mark Jankowski for Cory Schneider @ 20% retained.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The problem is we don't actually know if what we have is two starters.

Schneider started last year on a tear, but then was literally winless in 2018 until Game 3 (April 21). Of course, we later found out that he was playing injured, and he obviously needed surgery.

There's a recency bias with Kinkaid, I feel. He has been playing out of his mind, but he's been in the organization long enough for most Devils fans to remember when he was garbage.

Can Schneider come back from surgery, and return to form? Is Keith Kinkaid actually, now, a starting-caliber goaltender? We don't really know, and until we do, it makes very little sense to move on from either of them.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Take out Calgary’s first and maybe..... I still would shop for better with that same deal if I was the Flames. Add the first to a diff goalie if it means getting a solid #1

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bennett and a first for Schneider. Not a chance that the Flames even think about doing this. Schneider isn't worth that price, he's been bleah the last couple of years, and he's 32.

Goalies don't have that kind of value.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I could see Schneider going to Calgary, but only with some salary and if he were just one piece in a larger offer for a better player. He won’t have much value on his own to make dealing him worth it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
New Jersey:
Sam Bennett
Mike Smith
1st 2019

Calgary:
Cory Schneider

After 2 bad years in a row, Schneider doesn't have that kind of value anymore. He's closer to being a cap dump.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Schneider does not have anywhere near that value..

- soon to be 33 year old with three years remaining after this
- 6M caphit
- two very pedestrian to below league average seasons in a row
- potential durability/injury issues

Calgary would only be interested in sending salary back -

Mike Smith
Michael Stone

For

Cory Schneider (%15 retained - 5.1M)

Reactions: Potty John

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Schneider does not have anywhere near that value..

- soon to be 33 year old with three years remaining after this
- 6M caphit
- two very pedestrian to below league average seasons in a row
- potential durability/injury issues

Calgary would only be interested in sending salary back -

Mike Smith
Michael Stone

For

Cory Schneider (%15 retained - 5.1M)

You’ve made us lose interest.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
You’ve made us lose interest.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect NJ fans to love that offer or even consider it.

I just don't see Treliving having any interest unless it made sense financially and no future assets were lost. Calgary needs to target a young goaltender capable of being a long term solution. I don't see how acquiring Schneider would any different than the swings we took on Brian Elliott or Mike Smith. It's not needed.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect NJ fans to love that offer or to even consider it.

I just don't see Treliving having any interest unless it made sense financially and no future assets were lost. Calgary needs to target a young goaltender capable of being a long term solution. I don't see how acquiring Schneider would any different than the swings we took on Brian Elliott or Mike Smith. It's not needed.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
There is simply no realistic Schneider trade that would fetch NJ a return big enough to justify the move, which takes a hatchet to our goalie depth (which isn't exactly an organizational strength to begin with).

End of discussion.

Reactions: A91

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Don’t think Schnieder is going to waive his NMC to go to Calgary anyway. And if something like this would happen, it wouldn’t happen until the summer when NJ decides what they want to do with Kinkaid. Additionally, NJ will want Schnieder to build more value with a strong season when he gets his opportunities, though they will probably have to eat some salary regardless.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Take out Jankowski, really Schnieder isn't going to fetch much more then salary going back and a mid round pick.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
2018 Smith > 2018 Schneider.

Until Schneids actually gets going here he's not getting any interest. He let in a goal on 6 shots tonight. With that kind of dominance you might as well reach for the stars and draft the best goalie with that 2019 pick, cause you'd be getting a better goalie than Schneider if that's what he's become.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
2018 Smith > 2018 Schneider.

Until Schneids actually gets going here he's not getting any interest. He let in a goal on 6 shots tonight. With that kind of dominance you might as well reach for the stars and draft the best goalie with that 2019 pick, cause you'd be getting a better goalie than Schneider if that's what he's become.

Rittich is the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad