Value of: NJ and PHI - What would you trade for Gaudreau?

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
That will never happen. But for the purpose of entertaining this the Devils don’t have the pieces they are willing to give up to get Gaudreau. He’s on a great deal for the next three years so the Flames are going to be asking for a lot. While I like Monny at C, the Devils are going to be drafting Hughes more than likely having Hughes and Hischier as #1 and #2 C’s.

Philly is probably the better trade partner.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
He is obviously a great player but his playoff abilities have been badly lacking .....I just know if he can ever be a solid
contributor when things get really tough....I would prefer to wait when his contract is over and perhaps get him then because obviously it would cost a lot to get him right now and of course the Flames are going to likely want young players in return.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Hall for Gaudreau makes sense for both teams and could be the modern day Heatley for Hossa trade.

Calgary will need to back themselves to re-sign Hall to an extenson, but they should be able to do that as are a playoff team.

NJ can take a cap dump as part of the deal to assist with the resigning. Either a Michael Stone or maybe James Neal. NJ can also throw in a 2nd round pick or a prospect like Mikey McLeod to balance the trade.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not sure why NJ is trading for a center given they're about to have Hughes-Hischier as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Obviously Johnny is better than Nico right now, but Nico is much younger and cheaper and still has plenty of growing to do. Hughes has the talent to be better than Johnny, if he lives up to it of course.

NJ isn't really in the market to be making any blockbuster moves for big names, I'm guessing Ray makes another Palmieri/Johansson/Vatanen kind of move where he mobilizes some futures to take advantage of a cap strapped team. Someone like Jason Zucker or Tyler Johnson seem like good candidates.

I would also expect them to add a forward in free agency to round out the top-6 (Eberle, Skinner, Nyqvist, Ferland, Silfverberg, Connolly - some good options).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not sure why NJ is trading for a center given they're about to have Hughes-Hischier as a 1-2 punch down the middle. Obviously Johnny is better than Nico right now, but Nico is much younger and cheaper and still has plenty of growing to do. Hughes has the talent to be better than Johnny, if he lives up to it of course.

NJ isn't really in the market to be making any blockbuster moves for big names, I'm guessing Ray makes another Palmieri/Johansson/Vatanen kind of move where he mobilizes some futures to take advantage of a cap strapped team. Someone like Jason Zucker or Tyler Johnson seem like good candidates.

I would also expect them to add a forward in free agency to round out the top-6 (Eberle, Skinner, Nyqvist, Ferland, Silfverberg, Connolly - some good options).
Off-topic, but I've seen this idea come up several times among Devils fans so I'll mention it: Minnesota isn't cap strapped. We're projected to have something like $10m-$12m in cap space after extending our RFA's, without many holes to fill. We'll need to look to upgrade our goal scoring, but no one's going to be pushed out for cap reasons.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Off-topic, but I've seen this idea come up several times among Devils fans so I'll mention it: Minnesota isn't cap strapped. We're projected to have something like $10m-$12m in cap space after extending our RFA's, without many holes to fill. We'll need to look to upgrade our goal scoring, but no one's going to be pushed out for cap reasons.
Can you walk me through this? According to NHLnumbers Minnesota has 6.6M in cap space right now, with about ~4M coming off the books when contracts expire for Fehr, EE, Fiala, Aberg, and Prosser. That should leave you with 6 forwards under contract and about ~11M in cap space, with a pretty sizeable raise going Fiala (I'm guessing about 4.5M). What am I missing here?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Gaudreau is a LW and not a C. So there is no issue. He would benefit any team with his incredible hands, passing skills and high IQ, but undersized.

To be effective, he needs a big C to drive through defensive schemes. Playoff hockey illustrates his lack of effectiveness. Teams tighten their defenders and focus on hitting him constantly.

NJD with Hishcer/Hughes smallish Cs would impact his effectiveness and might not be the best fit.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can you walk me through this? According to NHLnumbers Minnesota has 6.6M in cap space right now, with about ~4M coming off the books when contracts expire for Fehr, EE, Fiala, Aberg, and Prosser. That should leave you with 6 forwards under contract and about ~11M in cap space, with a pretty sizeable raise going Fiala (I'm guessing about 4.5M). What am I missing here?
This is the first time I've run the numbers myself and I have it around $10m, but I'm also doing a lot of rounding up. I'm paying all the unsigned depth spots $1m and assuming that Fiala gets more than a bridge.

Parise7.5Staal3.25Zucker5.5
Fiala4Koivu5.5Kunin1
Greenway1Rask4Donato2
Foligno2.9Sturm1Brown(?)1
Y1
Suter7.5Dumba6
Brodin4.2Spurgeon5.2
Seeler0.75Pateryn2.25
Hunt1
Bitetto?1
Dubnyk4.3
Stalock0.8
Total cap72.65
Cap space10.35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Could shift up a little if you think the RFA's will cost more, but I think I'm being pretty conservative.

Edit: forgot about Ennis's buyout cap hit, which is $1.2m. So still around $9m-$10m minimum, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khelandros

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hall for Gaudreau makes sense for both teams and could be the modern day Heatley for Hossa trade.

Calgary will need to back themselves to re-sign Hall to an extenson, but they should be able to do that as are a playoff team.

NJ can take a cap dump as part of the deal to assist with the resigning. Either a Michael Stone or maybe James Neal. NJ can also throw in a 2nd round pick or a prospect like Mikey McLeod to balance the trade.
Wait are you serious? As much as i love gaudreau, i would do JG and Neal for hall (given we can extend him) any day of the week

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
For Philly, I don't see anyone as really being off the table though I'd discontinue trade talks if it required us to move a defenseman such as Provorov or Sanheim. A loss of either would all but assure that we'd never do anything serious with this core.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Hmmm 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Phil Myers, and Isaac Ratcliffe?

Not sure if it's enough. Maybe a good start. Maybe too much. :help:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Hmmm 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Phil Myers, and Isaac Ratcliffe?

Not sure if it's enough. Maybe a good start. Maybe too much. :help:
CGY wouldn’t touch that. Diminish returns here. They’re in compete mode and won’t move him for young players/picks needing time to acclimate.

It would cost us something we don’t want to give up

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Only thing I can think of that would make sense is Gaudreau for Hall (contingent upon re-signing) straight up.

Not sure why either team would do it though, unless they both wanted to shuffle the deck without substantially downgrading I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad