Niskanen's play

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Better than average. Not quite an all-star. He does everything well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good. Some shifts and some nights he is pretty much lockdown. And of course he'll have mistakes or get pinned like every other player in the league. The viewer's opinion will probably depend on what he's looking for and when he's watching. The defensemen on this team have not been much of a problem so far.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Defensively better than i expected.

Offensively i didn't know much about him except that his strength was meant to be getting the puck to the net even through traffic. I haven't seen much of that yet.

Overally propably bit better than i expected, and clearly welcome addition to what was very underwhelming D for years.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I've been pleasantly surprised with his play thus far. I didn't watch him very much in Pittsburgh, but some things I read did not speak kindly of his defensive play. It seems to these eyes that's he been almost as strong or stronger in that aspect than Alzner, who is having a rough start to the year. He also pinches at the appropriate times and does a good job of keeping the puck in the zone.

If he keeps up this level of play, I'm more than happy with his contract.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's a good veteran puck moving defenseman. He isn't an elite scoring player. He doesn't create offense on his own beyond a good first pass. He is fast enough to keep up with the play and jump in. He shoots well enough to score but is not a game breaker. His defensive game is solid. From a Caps fan pov he is Calle Johansson.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
He's less dynamic offensively but stronger defensively than I was expecting. I'm lukewarm on the signing. He's definitely been a strong contributor and I'm glad he's on my team but I question whether we needed to spend that much for someone like him. When you add in the Orpik signing (who has also been good, but an obvious overpayment IMO) we as an organization premium dollars on 2nd tier players. If Niskanen is able to get his offensive production back to last year's pace I think this is a big win but after watching him for 20+ games I think last year may have been kind of a fluke.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
For all who wanted Green gone because of his injuries and defensive lapses... didn't you want a more reliable player who will be cheaper and less skilled than Green offensively, but in the lineup most games and being top4 D who you can rely on?

Isn't Niskanen kinda that player?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For all who wanted Green gone because of his injuries and defensive lapses... didn't you want a more reliable player who will be cheaper and less skilled than Green offensively, but in the lineup most games and being top4 D who you can rely on?

Problem is that he doesn't really have that much of a track record of "being top4 D who you can rely on." He's been a bottom pairing guy for the majority of his career. It wasn't until all of Pittsburgh's defense was simultaneously on IR last year that he had a sustained chance in the top 4.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

That player signed in Tampa for a lot less money.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I, too, would have preferred Stralman, but my gripe about track record in a top 4 role applies to him as well.

Acknowledging that it's a risk, I still don't see how it makes sense to make the riskier choice ($$$wise). Also, I feel comfortable saying that Stralman played at a higher level this past postseason than Niskanen ever has (or will).

Burakovsky95*

I think Niskanen would have looked as good as Stralman currently does in Tampa. We just suck and Tampa doesn't.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Niskanen has a bit more of a PP track record, no? In a SSS thus far he's had the team's highest on-ice PP production rate. He seems to be able to find 8 well enough and his shot is trickier than Green's. Alzner has kind of weighed him down 5-on-5 and he's probably been better at both ends than Alzner at that (as he should be for that $$$).

So if it's as a Green PP replacement that can be perhaps a little more reliable defensively it can maybe work. I don't really like Alzner or Orpik as his LD and Schmidt/Orlov are likely not much better. If Green is traded and there's a more extended selling off I'd really be looking for two-way LD prospects with size. I'm not so sure Alzner is a top 4 keeper under a more demanding style.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'm happy with his play and a good signing, imho. Naturally was worried about the one very good year the previous year and some potential regression but seeing the same play quality.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
Been quite please with his game. The only downfall I have seen is that his shots get blocked a lot as it seems like he waits a little too long at times to shoot the puck. Understand he is sometimes waiting for players to crash the net for a screen, but to me he has been waiting a little too long at times.

Never hurts to throw the puck on net and hope that your teammates are crashing the net for a rebound.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It would also help if said teammates were around the net in the first place. But some guys just hit shin guards. There are some defensemen I play with that when they start to shoot, I start backchecking because I KNOW it's not getting through (and everyone plays with at least one of those guys).

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
solid so far IMO, some nights you dont even notice him which can actually be a good thing...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
My only gripe with Niskanen is the fact that he never, ever, gets a shot on net at even strength. It's always blocked.

Other than that, very solid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad