Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
okay to some people's suggestions and my own curiosity, i got splatoon 2.
i can fully see why people like this game. I like it. but i am going to take advantage of my trade in with EB games and return it. the "everything motion control" is making me sick and having the paint button ZR instead of A (why?!) is hurting my hand a lot

it's a shame because i really think this would have been a game i could sink into.
I’m pretty sure you can change the controls so that it’s a dual analog shooter instead of a motion-controlled shooter. Or at least that’s how I played when I was really into the game. All this talk about it has made me want to go back and play it again... I just can’t justify that timesink with all of the other games coming out/games that I bought off the eShop/etc.

For the record, SteamWorld Dig 2 is absolutely incredible. The 100% end game content is ridiculously difficult, though. I say that as a compliment. Onward to SteamWorld Heist!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I’m pretty sure you can change the controls so that it’s a dual analog shooter instead of a motion-controlled shooter. Or at least that’s how I played when I was really into the game. All this talk about it has made me want to go back and play it again... I just can’t justify that timesink with all of the other games coming out/games that I bought off the eShop/etc.

For the record, SteamWorld Dig 2 is absolutely incredible. The 100% end game content is ridiculously difficult, though. I say that as a compliment. Onward to SteamWorld Heist!

yah i turned it off.
but the ZR trigger kills my carpal. i have to return it :(
(my friend was saying it's better on a pro-con, but i don't have one)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Big fan of both games as I own them on PC. Heist is a completely different game, but still very good. It's similar to Mario + Rabbids or XCOM but it has it's own quirks.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
yah i turned it off.
but the ZR trigger kills my carpal. i have to return it :(
(my friend was saying it's better on a pro-con, but i don't have one)
Ahh, that makes sense. I basically played it exclusively on a pro controller, so I must’ve missed the experience you’re having with it. I think the last game where I actually used the joy cons was BotW when I first got my Switch, haha.

I can see how that’d be an uncomfortable setup for you, though. Hopefully you pick Splatoon 2 back up if you ever get a pro controller!

Big fan of both games as I own them on PC. Heist is a completely different game, but still very good. It's similar to Mario + Rabbids or XCOM but it has it's own quirks.
I actually think the change in gameplay is perfect for me right now. The last 5 or so games I’ve played through have been Metroidvania-type games, or at least have a lot of Metroidvania influence to them. A more straightforward, slower game is probably what I need right now, haha.

Any other titles you’d recommend that are as great as the SteamWorld games?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Ahh, that makes sense. I basically played it exclusively on a pro controller, so I must’ve missed the experience you’re having with it. I think the last game where I actually used the joy cons was BotW when I first got my Switch, haha.

I can see how that’d be an uncomfortable setup for you, though. Hopefully you pick Splatoon 2 back up if you ever get a pro controller!

I actually think the change in gameplay is perfect for me right now. The last 5 or so games I’ve played through have been Metroidvania-type games, or at least have a lot of Metroidvania influence to them. A more straightforward, slower game is probably what I need right now, haha.

Any other titles you’d recommend that are as great as the SteamWorld games?

LOL i use the joy-con for everything.
if i get a few bucks i will get this + pro-con (I don't even know why i exchanged it. boo). because honestly i see why people like it. it's very addictive.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
The release schedule is looking pretty good for the first half of the year.

March - Kirby
April - South Park
May - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Hyrule Warriors
-Dark Souls
June - Mario Tennis
July - Crash Bandicoot
- Captain Toad
-Octopath Traveler

Octopath, Cpt Toad, Hyrule Warriors, South Park and probably Mario Tennis will be must buys for me.

Captain Toad is the best game of all time! :blah:

Also Splatoon is freaking great. People need to get into it. I am absolutely hooked.

Without scaring me with details, what type of game is this I’m serisouly thinking about getting it

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Without scaring me with details, what type of game is this I’m serisouly thinking about getting it

captain toad?
it's like a puzzle. you have to find several gems, but you can't jump, so it's finding all these hidden paths etc.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
captain toad?
it's like a puzzle. you have to find several gems, but you can't jump, so it's finding all these hidden paths etc.

Alright cool that’s prob a day 1 buy for me cuz my gf loves toad from finding him in oddesey lol.

What about Splatoon ? Never seen a game like it but it looks promising... what’s the gameplay like?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Alright cool that’s prob a day 1 buy for me cuz my gf loves toad from finding him in oddesey lol.

What about Splatoon ? Never seen a game like it but it looks promising... what’s the gameplay like?

I've only played it for an hr. it's good but im returning it because it hurts my hand lol

Reactions: Dzonna

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Octopath Traveller Special Edition, only sold at Gamestop...Sold Out!
Solaire Dark Souls Amiibo, only sold at Gamestop...Sold Out!

What a surprise...

These Gamestop exclusives get so annoy sometimes, I'll have to pull some strings to get both of these but anything that's a Gamestop exclusive that's worth getting is sold out in a few hours.

Glad my whining paid off, Octopath Collector's available on Amazon.com, and Gamestop get it quick!

Octopath Traveler: Wayfarer's Edition

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
i don't know why Canada still doesn't have this up yet

It's because Canada blows with this kind of stuff.

When it's something I want and it's not coming out for a while, I order through the American sites just to reserve it and check if it comes out in Canada in the upcoming months.

If it does, place the order and cancel the other.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

When it's something I want and it's not coming out for a while, I order through the American sites just to reserve it and check if it comes out in Canada in the upcoming months.

yah. I did call EB games, and I got the pre-order for Hyrule Warriors.
no one has Octopath. I don't mind waiting because i don't want to forget and get whacked with customs etc.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Is there a speculation page for games or any other threads? Or is this just one big "anything" switch thread

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

There's been times when I've shelled out more money to get USA pre-orders because you don't know when it's going to happen in Canada.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Just beat xenoblade, looking for a game to tie me over until DK:TF.

Glad I took the chance to play this game, very fun if you like FMV’s during the game.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Making progress in Golf Story again. :cool:

Celeste got a ton of praise. I havent played it yet, but plan on getting it once I see it on sale.
I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to Celeste. I’ve only ever heard good things, but spending money to add yet another game to my Switch backlog seems counterintuitive. If it goes on sale, it’s an instant buy, though, backlog be damned.

Reactions: Pilky01

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Essentially it's an online shooter.

You shoot paint though, not bullets. This means there is an emphasis on "shooting the ground" since the goal is to cover the map in your team's paint.

It's all about multi-player. It is very, very popular. Not my thing at all but if you like online shooters at all it seems to be a must-have.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Essentially it's an online shooter.

You shoot paint though, not bullets. This means there is an emphasis on "shooting the ground" since the goal is to cover the map in your team's paint.

It's all about multi-player. It is very, very popular. Not my thing at all but if you like online shooters at all it seems to be a must-have.

I feel like I would have liked this game as a kid. I’ll prob just wait until spring for games and try and 100% the 4 games I have. I’m sure you can guess them all :p. My hint for the 4th game is that I never owned the wii u version

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Just beat xenoblade, looking for a game to tie me over until DK:TF.

Glad I took the chance to play this game, very fun if you like FMV’s during the game.

Xenoblade was great. 11 hours of cutscenes was way too much though.

The thing that makes the Xenoblade series amazing to me is that the developers that makes the game don't care if you make a super OP build if you experiment right. You can take out Super bosses in a few combos(or less) if you have the right gems slotted in with the right buffs. But those builds aren't easy to make, they're rare and super situational, but the fact that you can do things like that in theory AND in practice is awesome to me.

Some more great JRPGs around the corner as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad