Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
it's insane. like i m hoping they dip to like at least regular re-sale. but they are still "um yeah. 200? no."
my friend's theory is that because Echoes:Shadow's of Valencia did v. well that PoR/RD will be "echoed" as well. eventually, maybe after FE: 16
Could be a long wait but yeah. I hope if they do remake it they vastly overhaul the graphics because as fun as they were, they haven't exactly aged well.

Also the navigation and menus were a bit clunky.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Could be a long wait but yeah. I hope if they do remake it they vastly overhaul the graphics because as fun as they were, they haven't exactly aged well.

Also the navigation and menus were a bit clunky.

yah most games from that era hasn't.
it's kind funny. zelda got so many HD remakes and ports, and almost every other franchise is like nope. just suck it. (but i think it's because it's usually 5+ years beween zeldas)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Also if Smash is just a port of Smash Wii U/3DS I'm selling my Switch and every game I have.

Okay maybe not but I'll be pretty damn upset.
Nintendo's been pretty up front about what's a port and what isn't. Even for a short trailer there seems to be evidence of this not being a port.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Nintendo's been pretty up front about what's a port and what isn't. Even for a short trailer there seems to be evidence of this not being a port.

Ehhhhh...they keep referring to games I own on the Wii U as 'Switch exclusives,' so I feel like there's a reason to at least be somewhat skeptical.

Personally I'm expecting it to be more like a half-sequel in the Splatoon 2 sense...a ton of carry-over from 4, but with enough new stuff to render 4 superannuated.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Nintendo is going pretty crazy with all the Wii U-to-Switch ports.

On the one hand, I see the business sense of it, but on the other, it’s kind of a slap in the face to their loyal customers who actually bought a Wii U. What was the point of buying a Wii U if all its best games are going to be on Switch anyway?

And also I don’t get all the people going crazy and praising all these games coming to Switch. If everyone thinks these games are so great and are super happy about them being on Switch, why didn’t they buy a Wii U four years ago?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

On the one hand, I see the business sense of it, but on the other, it’s kind of a slap in the face to their loyal customers who actually bought a Wii U. What was the point of buying a Wii U if all its best games are going to be on Switch anyway?

And also I don’t get all the people going crazy and praising all these games coming to Switch. If everyone thinks these games are so great and are super happy about them being on Switch, why didn’t they buy a Wii U four years ago?

:laugh: right?
the system was there, the game was there, nothing was stopping you.

and i think that's what's bugging me. I put in the time and money into the WiiU and now i have the switch and i'm like so... everything is ported now?

Reactions: Winger98

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
though i am really thinking about splurging on Splatoon 2.
i keep thinking maybe this isn't my cuppa but everyone i know loves it so..

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Switch already outsold the Wii U. Not everyone had it and got the chance to play those games. Now the ones who didn't can and can also play it on the go. Makes sense.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Switch already outsold the Wii U. Not everyone had it and got the chance to play those games. Now the ones who didn't can and can also play it on the go. Makes sense.

Yeah, but my point is, everyone DID have a chance to play all those games.

If everyone agrees that these games are so great and Switch owners are so happy to have them, why didn’t they just buy Wii Us four years ago?

Its not like the system was in short supply all those years and people couldn't play Mario Kart 8 or Hyrule Warriors or Captain Toad or any of the others if they really wanted to.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, but my point is, everyone DID have a chance to play all those games.

If everyone agrees that these games are so great and Switch owners are so happy to have them, why didn’t they just buy Wii Us four years ago?

Its not like the system was in short supply all those years and people couldn't play Mario Kart 8 or Hyrule Warriors or Captain Toad or any of the others if they really wanted to.

They did, but the Wii U wasn't a good system and failed miserably. Will have to go to all the reasons that it failed for why people didn't get one even with the chance.

If I remember correctly Mario Kart 8 was the best selling game for Wii U so the people who did buy the system did get that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Honestly? There came a point where I almost got tempted to buy the Wii U but at the time I didn't have as much disposable income and I didn't think the Wii U would have much longer in terms of support anyway.

That being said I don't want the Switch to be a port machine, new third party games available for other consoles notwithstanding. Like with Bethesda doing Skyrim Switch I wouldn't mind seeing a Fallout on there.

Also there's really no f***ing good excuse for no VC yet other than holding a market of people still waiting to buy the Switch until they do hostage until sales slow down a little. I get that they're a business and all but at least release SOME VC games while the iron his hot or something.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly? There came a point where I almost got tempted to buy the Wii U but at the time I didn't have as much disposable income and I didn't think the Wii U would have much longer in terms of support anyway.

That being said I don't want the Switch to be a port machine, new third party games available for other consoles notwithstanding. Like with Bethesda doing Skyrim Switch I wouldn't mind seeing a Fallout on there.

Also there's really no ****ing good excuse for no VC yet other than holding a market of people still waiting to buy the Switch until they do hostage until sales slow down a little. I get that they're a business and all but at least release SOME VC games while the iron his hot or something.

the only reason for the hold up better be because they were figuring out how to VC: Gamecube + Wii titles

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
:laugh: right?
the system was there, the game was there, nothing was stopping you.

and i think that's what's bugging me. I put in the time and money into the WiiU and now i have the switch and i'm like so... everything is ported now?

It's part of what has held me back from going in on the Switch. I don't need Mario Kart 8 again. I don't need a revamped Smash. I don't need another DK tropical freeze. I'm not interested in another Hyrule Warriors. It's great for the folks who didn't play them the first time, but there's what...$240 worth of games right there? I want something other than a port, or half-port.

The only exception I make is Splatoon 2 because i loved the online in the original. If this is going to become a thing with Nintendo, just porting over it's own back catalog with every system, they need to find a way to pay an "upgrade" price for folks who bought it on the previous system. It's different for games from systems that are 15-20 years old, at least to me it is.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's part of what has held me back from going in on the Switch. I don't need Mario Kart 8 again. I don't need a revamped Smash. I don't need another DK tropical freeze. I'm not interested in another Hyrule Warriors. It's great for the folks who didn't play them the first time, but there's what...$240 worth of games right there? I want something other than a port, or half-port.

The only exception I make is Splatoon 2 because i loved the online in the original. If this is going to become a thing with Nintendo, just porting over it's own back catalog with every system, they need to find a way to pay an "upgrade" price for folks who bought it on the previous system. It's different for games from systems that are 15-20 years old, at least to me it is.

exactly.
to be fair, i did trade in my WiiU/3DS version to have ONE game with everything (and not pay 3ds dlc).
and i succombed to the BOTW siren call because i was living out of town, and i neeeeeeeded to play the DLC (this is how much nintendo owns my soul i paid for the game twice and the dlc twice)

but everything.... being ported. i don't think that's cool (but i mean if this is to buy them time, fine. but i'd rather them admit that, and the new games coming need to be amazing) i don't feel people will be modified with ports.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I’m ever going to trade in my Wii U even after I get a Switch, for two reasons.

1) It's back-compatible with the Wii, and I have a sizable collection of Wii games.

2) It contains all my VC games, again which I have a sizable collection I purchased on Wii, and transferred over to Wii U.

Getting rid of my Wii U would mean losing access to A LOT of my games, so I’m not going to do that.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I don't see how it's a slap in the face. Why would Wii U users care if other people can play the same games they can? If you bought a Wii U and are happy with it, why would Switch users being able to play the same games be a problem for you?

I may be weird, but as far as I'm concerned the more platforms a game is on, the better. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't see how it's a slap in the face. Why would Wii U users care if other people can play the same games they can? If you bought a Wii U and are happy with it, why would Switch users being able to play the same games be a problem for you?

I may be weird, but as far as I'm concerned the more platforms a game is on, the better. :laugh:

As a "loyal customer" who "actually bought a Switch" (on launch day no less).....port all the good Wii U games. They were great games on a trash console. And as I enjoy Smash but it really isn't my favourite, I was actually more excited about getting Cpt Toad on Switch than Smash Bros.

I am hoping for Smash 4.5 more so than Smash 5.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As a "loyal customer" who "actually bought a Switch" (on launch day no less).....port all the good Wii U games. They were great games on a trash console.

I am hoping for Smash 4.5 more so than Smash 5.

why was it trash?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Octopath Traveller Special Edition, only sold at Gamestop...Sold Out!
Solaire Dark Souls Amiibo, only sold at Gamestop...Sold Out!

What a surprise...

These Gamestop exclusives get so annoy sometimes, I'll have to pull some strings to get both of these but anything that's a Gamestop exclusive that's worth getting is sold out in a few hours.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Mine is currently literal trash because of the reformat feature bricking it. :laugh: :(

I swore off Nintendo products for a while because of that, but the Switch gets more and more tempting....
I haven't owned a home console from Nintendo since the SNES. I hate their supply and business decisions. I bought a Switch and I absolutely love it. Probably my favorite of the 3 consoles.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
IMO, the only really bad thing about the Wii U was the name and all the confusion it caused among the public. The launch of the console was majorly mis-managed and mis-communicated. Nintendo showed off the controller and didn't make it at all clear that it was a brand new console, and its name just added to that confusion. Most people came away thinking it was some kind of add-on or accessory for their Wii, which they didn't really need. It was all a major marketing blunder that the Wii U never really recovered from and was able to find its footing.

All that aside, the console itself was fine. The back-compatibility with Wii discs and VC games was nice. MiiVerse was an interesting experiment. There was, as usual, pretty good first-party support (Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Mario 3D World, NSMB, Paper Mario, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country, Splatoon, Captain Toad, plus Yoshi and Kirby games, Mario Tennis, and others). And there were some really solid 3rd-party exclusives at the beginning (had a lot of fun with Lego City Undercover), but those dried-up pretty fast when the console failed to take off.

Overall, I felt there were enough quality first-party titles alone to make it a worthy purchase, and I can't figure out why more people didn't. Overall, though, I view the console as so much missed opportunity. Missed opportunity for Nintendo to build on the Wii's massive success and properly launch a successor. Missed opportunity for people to play some quality games. Missed opportunity for third-parties to really exploit the system and it's unique gamepad - something that never really happened aside from some early creative attempts like ZombiU. The possibilities for two-screen play (separate map screens, inventories, functions, perspectives, etc) never really came to fruition. I could imagine an NFL game where you select your play on the gamepad. There were so many possibilities for gameplay that never happened because the system didn't sell better. It's just a shame.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
okay to some people's suggestions and my own curiosity, i got splatoon 2.
i can fully see why people like this game. I like it. but i am going to take advantage of my trade in with EB games and return it. the "everything motion control" is making me sick and having the paint button ZR instead of A (why?!) is hurting my hand a lot

it's a shame because i really think this would have been a game i could sink into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad