Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It's been years since I flew, do they have USB ports in the seats yet? If not, how do I charge my Switch? Going from Columbus to London

It probably depends on your airline. However, consider getting some external battery chargers or whatever the hell they're called.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's been years since I flew, do they have USB ports in the seats yet? If not, how do I charge my Switch? Going from Columbus to London

Depends on the flight. I flew to Europe last year and had no USB but coming back my plane had USB all over the place.

Either way, I have a hard time playing anything on a plane anyway so I was all ready to spend a few hours playing Zelda but I just end up sitting still and listening to music.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
No kidding, I have hardly used my Switch in months now. The only games I'm even slightly interested in are also on the PS4 where they are roughly half the price.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I'll just say it: the Switch is going to be another Wii U at this rate.

Very little 3rd party support and while Nintendo games are usually good, it can be fickle if those games aren't in your wheelhouse. Nintendo can't can't can't keep riding the coattails of BoTW, as sales are eventually going to crater (it's the games, stupid) and as I bemoaned previously, as a Wii U owner, it's doubly annoying, as it's fine for the people that didn't buy it, but now they are willing to buy the games? (but the Switch isn't that much better than the U), and Nintendo isn't doing much more than releasing Wii U ports, of which it's a tough pill when some of those same $60 Switch ports are $20 Nintendo Selects games on the Wii U.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah it’s already massively more successful than the Wii U. As a Wii U day 1 buyer I can tell you this drought is NOTHING compared to the Wii U entire lifespan. The Switch already has way more games that the Wii U in its entire life.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This is the sort of thing that always happens early in a console's life span, when the console is new and there hasn't been a ton of time to make games for it yet.

Heck, think of the PS4 at launch - it was a wasteland. Switch blew it out of the water in terms of launch year. It's not usually until later in the life span of the console that the games start flowing.

I wouldn't worry just yet.

Ports are a good tie-over, especially when going to a mobile platform.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Isn’t the Switch already considered a mass sales success despite what happens from here on out?

Was the Wii U ever considered as such?
The Switch outsold the Wii U's entire lifespan before a year ended.

It's a bit of a drought but most of Nintendo's major franchises have games coming either this year or next. Metroid, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Smash...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
In a normal Nintendo year we wouldn't even know about future games at this point. We would be waiting and hoping for E3.

Reactions: Dzonna

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Switch outsold the Wii U's entire lifespan before a year ended.

It's a bit of a drought but most of Nintendo's major franchises have games coming either this year or next. Metroid, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Smash...

I think a fair part of the problem is that it's a system that's still so heavily reliant on first party titles to have any major releases.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think a fair part of the problem is that it's a system that's still so heavily reliant on first party titles to have any major releases.

And they can only produce so much at a time without compromising quality. Something a lot of people seemed to miss with the Wii-U, though the problem there was they didn't time their software release schedule with their console launch very well.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think I asked this before but didnt get any responses, so ill give it a whirl again. Any recommendations for good games while in hand held mode? Maybe its a weird question but I enjoy games like Zelda when Im hooked up to the TV way more than handheld mode, I am thinking maybe more simpler games for that mode? I am not a huge handheld gamer type of person in general.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I think I asked this before but didnt get any responses, so ill give it a whirl again. Any recommendations for good games while in hand held mode? Maybe its a weird question but I enjoy games like Zelda when Im hooked up to the TV way more than handheld mode, I am thinking maybe more simpler games for that mode? I am not a huge handheld gamer type of person in general.

Golf Story is an awesome RPG. One of my favorites.

After the first play through, Mario Odyssey is great handheld to search for random stars.

I'm hoping Donkey Kong is. I'm at a Jamaican resort and trying desperately to get a solid internet connection to download it and play on the beach.

Reactions: Pilky01

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I just beat Fire Emblem Echoes (and I think that was my favourite of the 3).
now i reallly, really want FE Switch LOL

i am really contemplating as well if i want to try anything that has permadeath but i dunno.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I missed out Tropical Freeze on WiiU so I am thoroughly loving it on Switch.

Serious contender for best 2D platformer ever. And dat soundtrack.

Yeah it's full price for a game from 2014, that sucks. The game is really good and well worth it (unless you got it on WiiU)

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Now I can play Zelda in peace.

Good that it’s such a cheap price. I’ll pay that no problem, even if I’m not actively playing an online game.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait a minute....

If someone buys an individual membership, can other users on the same Nintendo Switch system use that Nintendo Switch Online membership?

Individual memberships can only be used by the Nintendo Account holder who purchased the membership.

However, you can share the Nintendo Switch Online features across all the Nintendo Accounts in a family group by purchasing a family membership.
Nintendo Switch Online FAQ – Nintendo Switch™ Official site

So if you have multiple users on the same Switch, you have to be logged in with a certain user only to access the paid online stuff unless you buy a family plan?

That's just stupid and clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->