Speculation: Nino Niederreiter Wants Out of Long Island

HTT3*

Smith, Tatar, Lashoff + 2nd for Niederreiter, Višňovský + 1st

Then offersheet PK Subban

SillyBilly

Jan 6, 2013
Swiss here.

He is young and very talented. I give him two seasons until he has some real impact in the league. It comes down to this: are you willing to give him minutes in a scoring line or not? If not, don't trade for him. He can play physical, but he's not suited to play 6min a game in a ****** checkers-line in the 4th trio in long island.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Everyone posting here knows that Nino is 6'2", 205lb and projects as a power forward, right?
I think Nino is being dismissed a little too easily. For one thing, he's mean and kind of dirty. For another, he still projects to be a scoring line player. Guys like that don't grow on trees and he would address a serious hole in our system.

I think it depends on the price. I would do Tatar and a second in, well, a second. I doubt Isles fans would be happy with that, though.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
Im sure theres a reason hes not getting playing time on one of the worst teams in the nhl, if we were to trade for him i wouldnt give up much

SillyBilly

Jan 6, 2013
Im sure theres a reason hes not getting playing time on one of the worst teams in the nhl, if we were to trade for him i wouldnt give up much

Long story short, the Isles completely messed this up. He was to young to play in the AHL, so it was either NHL or WHL. Problem is, they somehow thought it would be a good idea to put him on a line supposed to be physical, next to bottom talented guys. Surprisingly, this isn't the best idea for an 18y old scorer. Consequence: not a lot of playing time and ****** stats. Then he started this year in the AHL and continued to 'dominate' non-NHL leagues, averaging 1pt/game. Surprise, the Isles messed up again: they didn't call him up for the camp. They selected guys clearly weaker than him, estimating that it was now finally time to give him enough games to develop.

In other words, they messed everything up.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Whenever I hear that an underperforming player is demanding a trade because he is "unhappy" with the situation, the ice time, etc, all I hear is "I refuse to take responsibility for my lackluster play and instead place the blame squarely on my team and organization."

As if that weren't enough, there is absolutely no point in trading valuable prospects like Tatar and Nyquist for unproven forwards. If we're open to trading the cream of our prospect crop, it needs to be for a proven defenseman.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Whenever I hear that an underperforming player is demanding a trade because he is "unhappy" with the situation, the ice time, etc, all I hear is "I refuse to take responsibility for my lackluster play and instead place the blame squarely on my team and organization."

As if that weren't enough, there is absolutely no point in trading valuable prospects like Tatar and Nyquist for unproven forwards. If we're open to trading the cream of our prospect crop, it needs to be for a proven defenseman.

I definitely agree with your 2nd point.

I think some blame has to fall on NYI, though. He was good enough last year to be on the team for the majority of the season (or was he?), despite his numbers being abysmal. This raised a lot of eyebrows as many considered it to be rushing him into the league, and questioned the need for him to rot on the 4th line with absolutely brutal linemates. Now that they signed some guys over the summer and made some trades, he gets left off the roster and not even invited to camp. It seems fairly obvious that the Islanders only had him up to get over the cap floor last season with his ELC bonuses. If an organization was using me that blatantly for my numbers and not caring about my success, I'd probably get the hell out of Dodge, too.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2

Underperforming is the wrong choice of word here. He sucked last year on the Islanders because he was poorly utilized, playing on a checking line with players that cannot generate offense. This year, as a 20 year old, he put up 36 points in 39 games in the AHL. He is also 6'2" 210 pounds and projects to be a power forward. The wings have plenty of smallish, skilled forwards; they dearly need big, skilled forwards.

The NHL has changed in that there are more big, mobile and skilled players than ever before. For that reason, a roster full of small, albeit very talented, forwards is not going to compete. With all the parity you need a mix of size and skill. Especially if your defense is lacking.

I never said trade Nyquist for him, but trading Tatar for him would be intelligent asset management and could very well benefit both clubs in time.

Yes, the wings need a proven, top four defenseman. But it's silly to think that is our only hole right now.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Give them back JoeyMac. Problem solved.:banana: If Holland were the GM of NYI he would make that trade in a heartbeat.:sarcasm: AND Holland is considered to be a better GM than Snow throughout the league.

Therefore...

Done.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tatar+ anything else is massive, massive overpayment for a guy who was given a big opportunity and did nothing with it.

Tatar and a second wouldn't probably be enough to get him but I wouldnt even think twice about it.

Hes 2 years younger then Tatar, outproducing him in the AHL where he has no real studs to play with (Tatar has one of the best forwards in the league) and Nino is the type of players the wings system lacks. A potential scoring line powerforward with a bit of a mean streak.

Tatar is a solid prospect but hes still tiny. Nino is a much better prospect. Nino got fourth line mins with a garbage Islanders fourth line (guys like Gillies) that isnt big opportunity

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Really like the idea of Niederreiter and Visnovsky. Besides, doesn't Garth owe us something for stealing Nabokov a few years ago?

Nino would give Brunner a playmate, and we do need a power forward.

I would consider sending Nyquist the other way, if only because he could be in a similar position with us as Nino is with the Isle.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Really like the idea of Niederreiter and Visnovsky. Besides, doesn't Garth owe us something for stealing Nabokov a few years ago?

Nino would give Brunner a playmate, and we do need a power forward.

I would consider sending Nyquist the other way, if only because he could be in a similar position with us as Nino is with the Isle.

No thanks.

Below is part of a translated interview from Nino's agent, post trade demand.
Notice where he says he expects tough contract talks with Snow in two yrs? That indicates Snow has told Nino and the agent, that Nino's not being dealt.

The NY press and Bob McKenzie have also reported, that Snow's not trading the 20 yr old, who has no leverage to force a trade.

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/...aubt--30354469
What are you going to do now?
We’ll see. I’ll have some tough negotiations with GM Garth Snow when Nino’s contract is over in two years, anyway. I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesn’t matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.

CloneHakanPlease*

While I can understand your enthusiasm for Tatar, Tatar and a pick would be a steal to get Nino. The difference in raw NHL potential is huge

Last edited by a moderator:

Dacop

Jan 19, 2013
I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance. It doesn’t matter if this team is the New York Islanders or a different team.

Maybe, my interpretation is wrong, but I would say he says "I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance or that the Islanders offer him this opportunity"

It seems to me, that Rufener wants to put some pressure on the Islanders.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Maybe, my interpretation is wrong, but I would say he says "I want Nino Niederreiter on a team, that believes in him and that gives him a chance or that the Islanders offer him this opportunity"

It seems to me, that Rufener wants to put some pressure on the Islanders.

Yeah I think that's what he wants.

Nino told fans at a fan event, that his agent is the one who made the call for a trade demand. Nino's showing his immaturity. First with acting entitled to an NHL roster spot and later trying to avoid criticism for asking for a trade. He's saying he's just gonna control what he can, which is his on ice play and he will follow his agent's advice.

His agent is talking about, how tough the next contract talks will be with Snow.
I thought Kabanov would be the high maintenance prospect, the one needing his shoulder patted and encouraging words:laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't follow the Isles, so here's my question: Why isn't Niederreiter with them right now? He's leading his AHL club in points and goals, he's top10 in AHL points, top5 in goals. The Isles aren't exactly deep up front, leaning heavily on their top6, and could use some more quality players there.

I think the trade demand is dumb, an ill-advised move, but after playing 55 games for them last year, and doing very well in the AHL this year during the lockout, I'd expect to have a spot on the roster, too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't follow the Isles, so here's my question: Why isn't Niederreiter with them right now? He's leading his AHL club in points and goals, he's top10 in AHL points, top5 in goals. The Isles aren't exactly deep up front, leaning heavily on their top6, and could use some more quality players there.

I think the trade demand is dumb, an ill-advised move, but after playing 55 games for them last year, and doing very well in the AHL this year during the lockout, I'd expect to have a spot on the roster, too.

The Islanders are stupid, they keep him all last seasn when he shouldnt have been there.

Now hes been playing in the AHL where he will be in top game shape at least before people catch up to him in a few weeks and they dont even use him to see if he can hold a spot. He didnt even get called up for their training camp I dont think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad