Speculation: Nino Niederreiter Wants Out of Long Island

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Just saw this tweet from @KatieStrangESPN

"#Isles Nino Niederreiter's camp is seeking a trade from the Islanders, a source tells ESPNNY. Unhappy with current situation"

If true, I'd hope Holland would be all over that. I seem to remember him and Jim Nill being pretty high on Nino a couple years back. Considering the strengths of our prospect pool right now, I'd love to see the wings trade for him.

Tatar + Kindl + a pick ? Would that be enough??

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Why? He put up 1 point in 55 games last year and played average in Bridgeport this season compared to our prospects. There is too much value in his name right now (its pretty catchy after all).

Tatar+ anything else is massive, massive overpayment for a guy who was given a big opportunity and did nothing with it.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've heard the name before, but I'm not really familiar with him. I have to ask, how is it even possible to put up 1 point in 55 games? It seems like I could do better than that by just having the puck bounce randomly off my shins

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Why? He put up 1 point in 55 games last year and barely played in Bridgeport this season.

Just so we're on the same page, playing 39 out of 40 games, leading the team in scoring and putting up a hair under a pt/game is "playing average"?

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
if we wanted nino its gonna be smith or nyquist to start hes a better prospect than pretty much anyone we have id think. hes a powerforward with good hands and feet itd take nyquist plus a 2nd or so maybe more

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has not dropped to the level that it wouldn't still be a pretty massive deal. His potential is still too great and the investment of a high pick will demand a big return still at this point.

Would love to do Quincey+ some of our lesser prospects, maybe we can hope they are super high on a Frk or Pulkkinen, perhaps Jurco. But the point is this would be a significant gamble although he does have a lot of the skill set that Holland and Nill have been talking about getting.

King Kovalchuk

Jul 7, 2010
If hes unhappy about not playing in the NHL, getting traded to the Red Wings isn't going to make him happy.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
if we wanted nino its gonna be smith or nyquist to start hes a better prospect than pretty much anyone we have id think. hes a powerforward with good hands and feet itd take nyquist plus a 2nd or so maybe more

No thanks on that, Nyquist is outscoring him in the AHL now and put up 7x the points in the NHL last year in 1/3 as many games. Nino could end up being the better player but right now his value isn't very high. Definitely not Nyquist+2nd

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
If hes unhappy about not playing in the NHL, getting traded to the Red Wings isn't going to make him unhappy.

Good point, didn't even think of that, with the Red Wings he will need atleast 3 more years in GR :cry:

So yeah trading for Nino probably would be pointless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Islanders can feel free to ask for a lot, but they need not look much beyond their own bench and at Hickey and wonder what happens if he stalls in his second trip to the big club. His value will plummet, if they don't think he is a good fit they would be wise to move him now. Sure he has been pretty good in the AHL and Hickey is a rough comparison (as he was stuck in the AHL) but top 5 value has an expiration date and his next dud tenure in the NHL on Long Island would be it.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
No we need big, skilled forwards and top four defensemen. Acquiring Nino would improve our prospect pool IMO as we already have tons of small, skilled forwards.

That's what I was thinking- we don't have many (any?) true PWF types coming up thru the system, but we do have a LOT of small-to-average sized skilled guys. We clearly need top 4 D as well, but in looking at the forward prospects, might not be a bad idea to prioritize the top ones KH wants to keep, and then work off the bottom of the list moving up to see which one/ones might interest the Isles.

There has to be a limit to how many small forwards you can reasonably expect to be in the top 6, and there's a need for big winger who will wear down the top 4 D on opposing teams (we haven't had that guy in a long time).

And if there was a way to get Visnovsky in the deal, I'd be all for that as well. He should have gotten serious Norris consideration 2 seasons ago.

Thrace

Feb 21, 2012
Everyone posting here knows that Nino is 6'2", 205lb and projects as a power forward, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad