Proposal: Nino Niederreiter change of scenery swap

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
He's the most appealing name in this thread, easily. What the + would have to be is an interesting question. Why are the Rangers trading Skjei? From what I've read from Rangers' fans, LD is a questionmark short-term and perhaps long-term without him. Skjei as a cap casualty to free up money for Kreider is logical perhaps, but Niederreiter makes the deal cap neutral. Carolina has pro scouts and is value-driven. They'll see the warts, if its performance driven, and value him accordingly.

Skjei gets a bit of a bad rap from a contingent of Ranger fans for occasional hiccups. But, when he plays a great game, like last night against the Jets, silence.
I'm also a fan of the Canes and Skjei would be a fantastic addition. I would think the Canes would have to give up a first plus Nino to get the Rangers attention.
I have a feeling that Gorton has no interest in moving Skjei.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Ummm Kris Russel seems like exactly the type of deal you’re describing here...

You would need to retain to match up the cap hits since Nino makes a little more.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Ian Cole + Tyson Jost for Nino + TVR

(I'm not one who wants to trade Jost yet, but it would make sense here)

I really think Haula for Cole as a base makes more sense though

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7 goals and 23 points in 55 games. He's dealing with an issue of confidence. You can tell by how he hesitates to take open shots at times. An acquiring team could get a short-term burst like Carolina got last season. At his best, he's a worker bee type that can play up and down the lineup on either side on any type of line (speed and skill or forechecking) in any situation.

At $5.25 mil x ~2.25, it would most likely require taking back another undesirable contract. Defense is the preference, but forward could work as well. What's out there?
Nino was just Over a half a point per game player in the last couple of seasons in Minnesota.

aside from last years hot streak when he joined Carolina, that’s been who he is for the majority of his career in the NHL.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Maybe Habs could add Nino this summer or tdl something around Kulak and a 3rd?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nino was just Over a half a point per game player in the last couple of seasons in Minnesota.

aside from last years hot streak when he joined Carolina, that’s been who he is for the majority of his career in the NHL.
The key for Nino... don't get comfortable. He gets comfortable and he stops being as impactful.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Feels like he would be a good right wing on the right side of Olofsson and Eichel. His value is pretty low right now so something around Colin Miller+ is a good idea as seen earlier in this thread.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Niederreiter really is a strange player. His skating has always been awkward and it still is today, yet he found ways to be effective. But only when he has confidence, but it seems that anywhere he goes he loses it after a few seasons.

After the trade to Carolina it looked like he finally found that next gear that made him play like more than just a 0.5 ppg player, with 30 points in 36 games for the remainder of last season. This year his point production has been abysmal, a bad start to the season and now again 1 point in his last 5 games.

He was mishandled by the Islanders, but had chances to prove himself with Minnesota and now Carolina. He kind of showed what kind of player he could be during the years but somehow never put it together entirely.

At this point in his career I'd be cautious to give up too much for Nino. He is only/already 27; he is young enough to maintain what he is currently delivering for a few more years, but he is already too old to become much more than he currently is IMO.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Skjei gets a bit of a bad rap from a contingent of Ranger fans for occasional hiccups. But, when he plays a great game, like last night against the Jets, silence.
I'm also a fan of the Canes and Skjei would be a fantastic addition. I would think the Canes would have to give up a first plus Nino to get the Rangers attention.
I have a feeling that Gorton has no interest in moving Skjei.

I dont think that The + needs to be a 1st to get this deal done and I'm saying that as someone who believes that Skjei is a solid 2nd pair LD.

Nino and the NYR 2nd for Skjei seems fair

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I dont think that The + needs to be a 1st to get this deal done and I'm saying that as someone who believes that Skjei is a solid 2nd pair LD.

Nino and the NYR 2nd for Skjei seems fair

I watch just about every game of both teams and my opinion is that Skjei is significantly more valuable than Nino. I think it would take the 1st to even get the Rangers interested in talking.
With that said, I don't think Skjei is for sale.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
He was mishandled by the Islanders, but had chances to prove himself with Minnesota and now Carolina. He kind of showed what kind of player he could be during the years but somehow never put it together entirely.

Mishandled to a degree, mainly because he was put on the fourth line with jobbers rather than placed in a top 6 role in his rookie year, but I don't think a player deserves anything being handed to them.

However when he went wasn't called up following toe 2012 lockout, he pouted like a baby. Before the NHL training camp he had 36 points in 39 games, and following the lack of call-up and request for a trade he only put up 14 points in the final 35 games. That's on him that he played like that,

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
7 goals and 23 points in 55 games. He's dealing with an issue of confidence. You can tell by how he hesitates to take open shots at times. An acquiring team could get a short-term burst like Carolina got last season. At his best, he's a worker bee type that can play up and down the lineup on either side on any type of line (speed and skill or forechecking) in any situation.

At $5.25 mil x ~2.25, it would most likely require taking back another undesirable contract. Defense is the preference, but forward could work as well. What's out there?
What do you think about Bjugstad and a B- prospect like Almeida, for example, for Nino?

Bjugstad has 1 more year after this season at 4.1m, Nino has 2 more years after this season at 5.25m.

Canes save money and pick up a prospect. Penguins get the marginally better player, both guys could definitely benefit from change of scenery.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What do you think about Bjugstad and a B- prospect like Almeida, for example, for Nino?

Bjugstad has 1 more year after this season at 4.1m, Nino has 2 more years after this season at 5.25m.

Canes save money and pick up a prospect. Penguins get the marginally better player, both guys could definitely benefit from change of scenery.

Cant see making a trade with the Pens that could potentially make their top 6 even more potent.

I like the Nino + for Skej as a base. If NYR needs a LHD replacement stop gap then we could send Edmundson in the proposal and take something back to help with cap.

If we keep Nino I say move him onto a line with Staal and Foegele. Nino has some great skill and a hell of shot but lacks confidence. He does the little things right but he never seems to be in the right place at the right time. Maybe he just doesn’t think the game fast enough playing with guys like Aho and TT who need players to just do their job and be open. Have Nino just focus on playing good sound hockey where he can use his body like Staal does and create a physical line to open up space for Foegele could be interesting. I would think playing this type of game would get him engaged and active again.

Then have a super line of Aho, TT, Svech and then tinker with the Haula, Necas, Dzingel, Williams combinations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad