Proposal: Nino Niederreiter change of scenery swap

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Mikael Backlund for Niederreiter

Tkcachuk-Lindholm-Mang
Gaudreau-Monahan-Nino
Dube-Ryan-Lucic
Bennett-Janko-Rieder

Backlund is a natural C, right? I can’t say I’ve followed him this year, but have mostly been under the impression that he was a decent middle 6 2-way C.

Has he regressed badly this year?

Edit-after doing some googling, I think the extra years on the Backlund contract and age difference kill this one.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Baertschi needs a change of pace from Vancouver. Juolevi possibly too. The upside of Niederreiter would likely make it a non-starter from Carolina fans I'd bet.

I mean most of our other guys would qualify as less as needing a change of scenery, and needing a whole new set of all circumstances. Goldobin, Eriksson, even guys like Schaller or Beagle...there isn't a lot of high potential left for a trade like the OP wants from the Canucks. (Former Canes Ferland and Sutter are being deliberately excluded)

Being a vulture of hockey teams misery though, I am curious, is there a selling price for Niederreiter in terms of draft picks as opposed to change of scenery players?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’d do this.

Not sure what the Canes would end up doing with Rodrigues, but not a dealbreaker.

If he blends in - and he's a good pursuit forward who can give some versatility because he can play any forward position - then QO him at $2M for another year. And if he doesn't, don't and he walks as a UFA. With how Carolina play, he seems like he'd be a fit since he's a good skater and has seasons of good metrics prior to working under Krueger.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I could see Fletcher being interested. He traded for Nino in 2013.

:ghost2:

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Being a vulture of hockey teams misery though, I am curious, is there a selling price for Niederreiter in terms of draft picks as opposed to change of scenery players?

Carolina is also a vulture of other hockey team's misery. I don't know if we're looking to sell him this way as he's still part of a team trying to pull into the playoffs and we're already rich in picks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Carolina is also a vulture of other hockey team's misery. I don't know if we're looking to sell him this way as he's still part of a team trying to pull into the playoffs and we're already rich in picks.

Well it was worth a shot. We have a couple prospects that could be had top, but we are very much in the same situation, so I understand not wanting to simply surrender an underperforming player at this point. Maybe the off season, but even at that point we need to dump some ballast.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Carolina has to play Pittsburgh 4 times in March. There's the possibility that the Canes make the playoffs and meet the Pens an additional 4-7 times.

The appeal of Bjugstad is that he is cheaper and under contract for a shorter amount time than Nino. If that's the primary motivation behind a trade, you're effectively viewing the player as a cap dump. I don't think the Canes FO sees him that way, but if they did, they wouldn't trade him as that to a division rival.

Reactions: BHD

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Too bad that Nino is lost again. The guy has a good shot...shame he doesn't use it. I don't think he is as good of a defensive player as many make him out to be, but he's a strong presence netfront and along the boards. Also has nice hands close in.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I would consider a Skjei+ for Neiderreiter+ trade depending on the plus from Carolina

He's the most appealing name in this thread, easily. What the + would have to be is an interesting question. Why are the Rangers trading Skjei? From what I've read from Rangers' fans, LD is a questionmark short-term and perhaps long-term without him. Skjei as a cap casualty to free up money for Kreider is logical perhaps, but Niederreiter makes the deal cap neutral. Carolina has pro scouts and is value-driven. They'll see the warts, if its performance driven, and value him accordingly.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Idk, but we'd have to be cap compliant if McDavid and Neal get healthy. Likely means you take a Sam Gagner and a Brandon Manning for 25 games this year and then never look back.
If we slide a bit more, I wouldn’t hate that.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He's the most appealing name in this thread, easily. What the + would have to be is an interesting question. Why are the Rangers trading Skjei? From what I've read from Rangers' fans, LD is a questionmark short-term and perhaps long-term without him. Skjei as a cap casualty to free up money for Kreider is logical perhaps, but Niederreiter makes the deal cap neutral. Carolina has pro scouts and is value-driven. They'll see the warts, if its performance driven, and value him accordingly.
Yeah so the Rangers have depth in the system on LD but it's a couple years off from probably making a huge impact. Trading Skjei to Carolina would require a corresponding move to get another LD who can at least competently play the minutes Skjei is now.

I wouldn't sign Kreider, so having Neiderreiter as a 2LW replacement in the short term could be good until the Rangers find a guy who can take that spot long term, at which point they could trade him. Or they like what he does and re-sign him

I think Skjei could work very well in Carolina, he's not a 1D by any means, but he wouldn't have to be with Slavin there. That said I think the situation would have to be heavily in the Rangers favor for Gorton to consider moving him this summer

Reactions: The S5

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Victor Rask for Nino straight up? Could also do something that also involves Dumba or Brodin . I'd love to get Necas but not sure if Carolina would be willing to part with him in any sort of deal.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
So what's the motivation for Flames fans to agree to that then?

And once you figure that out, do you see why Canes fans wouldn't want to do it?

Well itd be more so of need and change of scenery type trade, Nino is a natural RW, well all the games ive watched he seems to be on the right side, Lucic is a Lw we have a a team with 9+ Left shooters and Lucic is one of em, maybe make a bigger badder trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad