Nine things that need to break the Oilers way to be a playoff team.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not true. We could easily run the following if JP doesn't work out:

RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Turris-Neal/Chiasson
Chiasson/Neal-Khaira-Archibald

Neal and Chiasson are both good enough to be on an offensive 3rd line if Puljujarvi can't stick there.

Nope. Not enough.
Given our blueline depth we need our top 9 to be consistently more productive than what that 3rd line could pump out.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nope. Not enough.
Given our blueline depth we need our top 9 to be consistently more productive than what that 3rd line could pump out.
A third line providing 30-40 points each?

do you know what third lines produce?

Reactions: TB12

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'm under the impression that a lot of things have to go wrong for Turris to find himself in our top 6.

I think you’re underestimating Turris a bit. Nashville has historically been where offense goes to die. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Turris revived in Edmonton especially without the expectations that come along with a cumbersome contract. If he finds some chemistry with either of 97/29 I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he could force his way into the top 6.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think you’re underestimating Turris a bit. Nashville has historically been where offense goes to die. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Turris revived in Edmonton especially without the expectations that come along with a cumbersome contract. If he finds some chemistry with either of 97/29 I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think he could force his way into the top 6.

Well if Turris moves to the wing to play in the top 6, who is playing 3rd line center?
Who is going to disappoint enough to push Turris out of his natural position?
I know Turris VERY well.
He had soooooo much hype behind him before he was drafted.
More than Drouin did.

With the players we have signed to next season if everyone lives upto expectations Turris will be centering a line that's more geared towards offense than defense and he should be able to produce because the opposition will be throwing 100% of their efforts to contain our top 2 lines. If Turris is any good, no way he goes into the top 6. No way we can get shut out if our 3rd line is competent.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
While I suppose Turris theoretically could have a runaway and wind up in the top 6, that would force some other negative movements. Nuge would almost certainly have to move down to 3C. That would ruin the DRY line. Failing that you’d have to run Haas or maybe a dark horse like Marody at that 3C spot. Khaira could move up I suppose, but I don’t think anyone wants to see that. I frankly don’t think Turris has top 6 (2.00+ pts/60) production left in him and it’d make a huge mess to move him up even if he did. I could see him getting some PP time as a RH shot option, and would very very likely get second unit PP time. If he can put up 3rd line numbers, make players out of likely line mates JP/Neal/Kahun/Ennis and be a decent PKer, that’s exactly what Holland was hoping for.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
While I suppose Turris theoretically could have a runaway and wind up in the top 6, that would force some other negative movements. Nuge would almost certainly have to move down to 3C. That would ruin the DRY line. Failing that you’d have to run Haas or maybe a dark horse like Marody at that 3C spot. Khaira could move up I suppose, but I don’t think anyone wants to see that. I frankly don’t think Turris has top 6 (2.00+ pts/60) production left in him and it’d make a huge mess to move him up even if he did. I could see him getting some PP time as a RH shot option, and would very very likely get second unit PP time. If he can put up 3rd line numbers, make players out of likely line mates JP/Neal/Kahun/Ennis and be a decent PKer, that’s exactly what Holland was hoping for.
Ruin the DRY line? There’s close to a 100% chance that line is broken up for parts of this year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well if Turris moves to the wing to play in the top 6, who is playing 3rd line center?
Who is going to disappoint enough to push Turris out of his natural position?
I know Turris VERY well.
He had soooooo much hype behind him before he was drafted.
More than Drouin did.

With the players we have signed to next season if everyone lives upto expectations Turris will be centering a line that's more geared towards offense than defense and he should be able to produce because the opposition will be throwing 100% of their efforts to contain our top 2 lines. If Turris is any good, no way he goes into the top 6. No way we can get shut out if our 3rd line is competent.

For the record I think Turris starts at 3C but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he forces his way into the top 6, they have to play the players wherever they’re going to have the most impact.

The problem as you mentioned is that it opens up a hole at 3C but they’d have options, Kahun played some C in Chicago and is currently playing C in Germany, they could also have a little money to play with once Klefbom goes on ltir they might be able to sign an adequate player on the cheap.

My point is that they have to explore all options, they’ve got some depth now and with it some roster flexibility. It’s going to be up to tippett to work it and find the best possible combinations. Let’s have some looks and see who can do what and where.

Reactions: thadd

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I think we'll see Turris moved up to the wing in the top 6 when offense is needed in 3rd periods.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Ruin the DRY line? There’s close to a 100% chance that line is broken up for parts of this year.
I sincerely hope not. There will be some mixing and matching, as there is every year, but keeping the Nuge/Draisaitl/Yamamoto line together should be preferred. Hopefully Kahun meshes with McDavid. Failing that I would try Ennis and Neal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad