Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
You know it's already off-season when I have to jump back three pages to even be able remotely close to understand what the heck you're talking about. This is ridiculous. I'll just ignore your endless armchair GM discussions about heaven and earth and say it'll be very interesting to watch Lundkvist in this upcoming World Championship. I think he will do well and he should be a lock on the national team.

I especially hope he's put out there during PP time, I think he can do wonders, he's a very interesting triggerman who also helps with puck distribution. Neither is he afraid to pinch in the offensive zone if he sees an opportunity - even in a counter attack - and his timing is really good. He's good on his skates, has a solid hockey IQ and he has a nasty shot.

For all of you wondering what place he has on the team, well, he's very young yet defensively responsible, solid in his skating and has a nasty shot. He just won a defenseman award never given to anyone as young as him, not even Hedman nor Dahlin. Any room for that kind of player on the roster? Apparently no. You schmucks. While I'm not saying he will be the next Hedman, I'm saying he just had a very dominant year, just now, that surpassed Hedman and Dahlin.

All of you propagating he should be dealt with not playing in New York, have you ever seen a second of his game before coming to this conclusion? I would think the answer is no. I don't think you realize how promising this guy is.

Especially notice his first goal in the SHL as a pup in 2017. He saw the opportunity, none of his teammates did. He frantically tapped his stick to get the puck, twice, as a pup rookie. But he was correct, the veterans were not. His desire to be involved is because he knows he can bring it.

Agreed. Everyone saying we don't have room for him has no idea what they're talking about. We will make room for talent this big. At least let him play before trading him. I might lose it if management does decide him in a package for Eichel or something of the sort...

Reactions: John Snow

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I mean I've been Miller's biggest fanboy for a few years now, but sure, in the right deal you move him. He has enormous potential but he's not some generational talent. Someone wants him as a main component of a deal for a young, stud C and you definitely consider it (depending on the other pieces).

I said it in another thread, I think he (and lots of college guys, honestly) are criticized a bit too harshly. He started off great--not perfect, but great when you look at the circumstances--dipped in play, picked it back up, and then fell off a bit of a cliff. He's a college guy, though, used to playing 40-ish games over a full season. Playing twice one weekend, one game the next, twice the next weekend, then having a weekend off, etc. The physical and mental grind of going from that type of schedule to an NHL schedule is a huge change for a guy, and forget about in a weird COVID year without a real ramp-up.

Seems like the final 15 games or so, we had a couple vocal posters who seemed to gleefully bash the kid for every mistake, which is a really weird thing to take pleasure in. Considering no one thought he'd even make the team, and then he's there playing 20+ minutes on the top pair, I'd say he blew past expectations and then some.
He also lost his partner for the last 7 or 8 (?) games. Which has to be tough for a rookie. He wasn’t sheltered much, either.

Reactions: Rongomania and Ola

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He also lost his partner for the last 7 or 8 (?) games. Which has to be tough for a rookie. He wasn’t sheltered much, either.
If NYR had thrown Jones right into the top four this season I can’t imagine what it would have looked like.

It’s one of the reasons why despite the fact we have so many good young defensemen people are clamoring for a stable veteran to partner with Nils next year.

Rushing Jones or Robertson would be Ill advised. It’s not like Hartford will only be playing a handful of games next year.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You know it's already off-season when I have to jump back three pages to even be able remotely close to understand what the heck you're talking about. This is ridiculous. I'll just ignore your endless armchair GM discussions about heaven and earth and say it'll be very interesting to watch Lundkvist in this upcoming World Championship. I think he will do well and he should be a lock on the national team.

I especially hope he's put out there during PP time, I think he can do wonders, he's a very interesting triggerman who also helps with puck distribution. Neither is he afraid to pinch in the offensive zone if he sees an opportunity - even in a counter attack - and his timing is really good. He's good on his skates, has a solid hockey IQ and he has a nasty shot.

For all of you wondering what place he has on the team, well, he's very young yet defensively responsible, solid in his skating and has a nasty shot. He just won a defenseman award never given to anyone as young as him, not even Hedman nor Dahlin. Any room for that kind of player on the roster? Apparently no. You schmucks. While I'm not saying he will be the next Hedman, I'm saying he just had a very dominant year, just now, that surpassed Hedman and Dahlin.

All of you propagating he should be dealt with not playing in New York, have you ever seen a second of his game before coming to this conclusion? I would think the answer is no. I don't think you realize how promising this guy is.

Especially notice his first goal in the SHL as a pup in 2017. He saw the opportunity, none of his teammates did. He frantically tapped his stick to get the puck, twice, as a pup rookie. But he was correct, the veterans were not. His desire to be involved is because he knows he can bring it.

You’re right. This thread has gone off the rails a bit. And the Nils info is great. Thank you. But what’s with all the anger and name calling? It’s a message board. Can’t police every opinion out there.

Reactions: John Snow and Fitzy

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Miller could certainly stand to use his size more effectively. There have been times where he's given opposing forwards a rough ride into the boards, and I think we'll see more of that as he matures. I don't think he'll ever have a mean streak, but not every player does. But the rest of your post I feel like is just chastising a rookie for making rookie mistakes.

I guess the question is how do you determine they're rookie mistakes?

He scares me a bit. He reminds me a little of Skjel because of committing big mistakes, often.

I have a little bias against him because I thought he was eaten alive in the tournament before turning pro. In that same tournament, I thought Jones looked very good.

In their limited time in the NHL, both seem to be continuing on the same path.

I keep repeating Miller could get better, but I think some fail to reailize that's not a given and just calling them rookie mistakes may or may not be accurate.

Next season, we'll find out if they were because he was a rookie or it's a preview of his career. I'm not saying he should be a finished product next season, just that he should take a step forward.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You’re right. This thread has gone off the rails a bit. And the Nils info is great. Thank you. But what’s with all the anger and name calling? It’s a message board. Can’t police every opinion out there.
No anger, just me slapping people around a bit for going OT and me practicing my language skills. Nothing personal against anybody.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I guess the question is how do you determine they're rookie mistakes?

He scares me a bit. He reminds me a little of Skjel because of committing big mistakes, often.

I have a little bias against him because I thought he was eaten alive in the tournament before turning pro. In that same tournament, I thought Jones looked very good.

In their limited time in the NHL, both seem to be continuing on the same path.

I keep repeating Miller could get better, but I think some fail to reailize that's not a given and just calling them rookie mistakes may or may not be accurate.

Next season, we'll find out if they were because he was a rookie or it's a preview of his career. I'm not saying he should be a finished product next season, just that he should take a step forward.

I'm OK with Miller's mistakes if they are aggressive mistakes. Miller has a different skillset than most young defensemen and he's going to have to make mistakes and learn from them if he is going to reach his potential. If he plays too safe, he's going to be an average defenseman at best. I made a similar point a couple of months ago in the Miller thread.

These are some of the mistakes I was referring to earlier. In college, Miller's ability to break up plays around his own blue line was one of his biggest strengths. At the NHL level, he's learning when that is going to work and when it is not. That's going to have to come with experience. He's still breaking up these types of plays on a regular basis, but when he gets burned, he really gets burned.

EDIT: To add to this thought, I don't mind seeing these types of mistakes from young players so long as they are learning from them. These types of plays are the difference between a player trying to make an impact and a player just trying not to make mistakes. I want Miller to keep trying to step up here but pick his spots better. If he were to abandon it, then he may be on the path to "solid but unspectacular".

That being said, Miller did significantly tail off at the end of the season. That's not unexpected from a rookie from the NCAA. I think he comes into camp next year and looks like he did in the earlier part of the season.

Reactions: Synergy27

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean I've been Miller's biggest fanboy for a few years now, but sure, in the right deal you move him. He has enormous potential but he's not some generational talent. Someone wants him as a main component of a deal for a young, stud C and you definitely consider it (depending on the other pieces).

I said it in another thread, I think he (and lots of college guys, honestly) are criticized a bit too harshly. He started off great--not perfect, but great when you look at the circumstances--dipped in play, picked it back up, and then fell off a bit of a cliff. He's a college guy, though, used to playing 40-ish games over a full season. Playing twice one weekend, one game the next, twice the next weekend, then having a weekend off, etc. The physical and mental grind of going from that type of schedule to an NHL schedule is a huge change for a guy, and forget about in a weird COVID year without a real ramp-up.

Seems like the final 15 games or so, we had a couple vocal posters who seemed to gleefully bash the kid for every mistake, which is a really weird thing to take pleasure in. Considering no one thought he'd even make the team, and then he's there playing 20+ minutes on the top pair, I'd say he blew past expectations and then some.

Hm, I’ve not seen any of this nor any post in this thread (other than Chimps) that even remotely is argumentative.

If anyone want to license me ignore list, I willing to provide it for USD 19.90 per year.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm OK with Miller's mistakes if they are aggressive mistakes. Miller has a different skillset than most young defensemen and he's going to have to make mistakes and learn from them if he is going to reach his potential. If he plays too safe, he's going to be an average defenseman at best. I made a similar point a couple of months ago in the Miller thread.

That being said, Miller did significantly tail off at the end of the season. That's not unexpected from a rookie from the NCAA. I think he comes into camp next year and looks like he did in the earlier part of the season.

Is leaving your man in front to double-team a player in the corner an aggressive mistake or just stupid?

Is a back pass to no one aggressive or stupid? That's a bad player for a forward. It's horrific for a defenseman.

Those were the types of things he did that bothered me.

Hopefully, next season is different. If not, he'll be in the AHL or elsewhere.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He made mistakes and he was a rookie. Pretty simple calculus.

Will he learn from those mistakes? It remains to be seen, but there was a lot more positive than negative for him this season. I don't understand why you feel the need to focus on the negative.
He has lots of time to improve for sure ...dmen take time and mistakes will happen in that time and have to be deemed as an acceptable part of doing business .

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He made mistakes and he was a rookie. Pretty simple calculus.

Will he learn from those mistakes? It remains to be seen, but there was a lot more positive than negative for him this season. I don't understand why you feel the need to focus on the negative.

Because a player is a rookie and he makes mistakes does not make them rookie mistakes. If he makes mistakes next season, they aren't sophmore mistakes.

I've repeated many times that he might improve, but this idea that because he's a rookie it's nothing is ridiculous.

It's his instincts and propensity towards the huge mistakes that I found concerning.

It may all turn out to be growing pains, That I question it might not be that seems to really bother some of you.

Some players are criticized mercilessly, here. Others fall into a sort of protected class. Pretty odd.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Because a player is a rookie and he makes mistakes does not make them rookie mistakes. If he makes mistakes next season, they aren't sophmore mistakes.

I've repeated many times that he might improve, but this idea that because he's a rookie it's nothing is ridiculous.

It's his instincts and propensity towards the huge mistakes that I found concerning.

It may all turn out to be growing pains, That I question it might not be that seems to really bother some of you.

Some players are criticized mercilessly, here. Others fall into a sort of protected class. Pretty odd.

With how frustrated he made Crosby in his like 4th NHL game, it would be beyond dumb to lose him at this moment in time. He played 1d minutes within his first 20(less?) games.

We have time to gauge all of these kids on the backend and that is exactly what we should do.

If a young 1C becomes available, let it be, but outside of that, we have to see what we have in he and Nils specifically I feel.

This is a great place to be; where we are right now. And you have to give the kid more time before picking apart his play to the level I've seen around here.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
With how frustrated he made Crosby in his like 4th NHL game, it would be beyond dumb to lose him at this moment in time. He played 1d minutes within his first 20(less?) games.

We have time to gauge all of these kids on the backend and that is exactly what we should do.

If a young 1C becomes available, let it be, but outside of that, we have to see what we have in he and Nils specifically I feel.

This is a great place to be; where we are right now. And you have to give the kid more time before picking apart his play to the level I've seen around here.

I don't want to dump hm but saying a player can't be criticized here is kind of funny considering how often so many players are eviscerated here.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I don't want to dump hm but saying a player can't be criticized here is kind of funny considering how often so many players are eviscerated here.

Yeah, critiquing a players game and shredding him are definitely two different things and happening 'round the clock.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lundkvist was easily the best D-man in the first WC game against Denmark, but that doesn't say much, since the rest of the D was ranging from bad to utter trash. Still, he played a solid game and was involved both defensively and offensively. It will be interesting to see what he does against better teams.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Lundkvist was easily the best D-man in the first WC game against Denmark, but that doesn't say much, since the rest of the D was ranging from bad to utter trash. Still, he played a solid game and was involved both defensively and offensively. It will be interesting to see what he does against better teams.
I caught the last 5 minutes only and it was really frustrating to see Lundkvist as the only player on team Sweden to create something... Only to be ignored by all his teammates in the last 90 seconds as one of the six skaters. He was ready for a slapshot with a clear lane towards the net and was patiently waiting for a pass that never came. Instead, his teammate on the blueline tried to keep shooting the puck through a million Danish players and the puck never once came anywhere close to the net. Poor Lundkvist LOL.

Reactions: Reway10

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I caught the last 5 minutes only and it was really frustrating to see Lundkvist as the only player on team Sweden to create something... Only to be ignored by all his teammates in the last 90 seconds as one of the six skaters. He was ready for a slapshot with a clear lane towards the net and was patiently waiting for a pass that never came. Instead, his teammate on the blueline tried to keep shooting the puck through a million Danish players and the puck never once came anywhere close to the net. Poor Lundkvist LOL.
The main idiot who simply refused to pass him the puck - being wide open for a shot, at least 3-4 times - was Tömmernes as the blueline QB. Some bum in the Swiss league who had a crap game and here comes the kicker: he's the captain of the team. Let's just say when what happened that you also saw, it wasn't that quiet in my living room.

Lundkvist had one assist in the game btw.

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
The main idiot who simply refused to pass him the puck - being wide open for a shot, at least 3-4 times - was Tömmernes as the blueline QB. Some bum in the Swiss league who had a crap game and here comes the kicker: he's the captain of the team. Let's just say when what happened that you also saw, it wasn't that quiet in my living room.

Lundkvist had one assist in the game btw.
Yup very frustrating especially considering his great shot. He looked great overall in all facets today. Took the body and very sold positionally. He created many chances and looked like he reads the play extremely well and played almost error free. Lots of subtle movements and deceptive play similar to Fox. Only thing did not get to see is him on the power play unfortunately, but easy to see he has the offensive acumen. Kid is completely ready for the NHL. I am more excited than ever. Going to be a great 2 way dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad