Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Just looking at Hoglander’s height and weight on his team sight. They have him at 5’9” and 185 pounds. He’s got a real solid build. I can see him, with his skill and compete, playing on our third line this season.

I keep on getting Gallagher vibes from him........

If he impacted the game the same way or as much, I would be totally happy......Off the wall happy!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When Tofoli bolted, there was an opening a mile wide for a top-six, scoring winger on the Canucks.

They've got Virtanen penciled in, at least for the time being. But I could see Hoglander getting a long look at training camp for either first or second line duty. Would love to see him on a line with Pettersson, just to see what kind of magic they could create.

My suspicion is that he had some early success, the Canucks would never get get him out of the top-six, particularly with some quality pp time.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When Tofoli bolted, there was an opening a mile wide for a top-six, scoring winger on the Canucks.

They've got Virtanen penciled in, at least for the time being. But I could see Hoglander getting a long look at training camp for either first or second line duty. Would love to see him on a line with Pettersson, just to see what kind of magic they could create.

My suspicion is that he had some early success, the Canucks would never get get him out of the top-six, particularly with some quality pp time.
I’d agree. As much as I want Virtanen to become a top six player I think he’ll always be the type of inconsistent player who needs a kick in the butt ( ie a demotion) every once in a while to get his attention. Ideally I think Jake develops into a solid third liner who can play both ways well and can bring some physicality. He seems miscast as a top six guy and I doubt he sticks there unless there are no other options.
Hoglander has an excellent opportunity this training camp. It’s asking a lot of a young guy but I think he’s got the tools and confidence that he could really grab that vacant top six spot.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Just scored off a Seider rebound, 3-0 Rogle in the 2nd. Nice finish!

Edit* -

Edit2* - And there's a nice assist as I was posting the vid! After stealing the puck, Hoglander carried the puck in, sauced it cross ice to Sjogren who then went back cross ice to Andersson for the finish.

Edit3* - Inspired 2nd per for Hoglander. Finishes with 1G 1A 1SOG +2 in 3:50TOI.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's producing at a level that projects him to be a top 6 forward now. I was thinking he would be an awesome third line player with his grit and skill but his ceiling is much higher now. Imagine a Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin line in ~ 2 years

Based on pure playing style, that line would be a forechecking monster.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love these translated descriptions of each goal from the SHL's website.

"GOAL! 3-0 to Rögle, through Nils Höglander. The attack starts in its own zone. Seider tests shots and on the return Höglander can pull it there. Rautio does not have time to move."

"GOAL! Rögle offers hockey candy. Nils Höglander wins the puck high and serves Mattias Sjögren. He charges for shots, but instead releases the puck to Erik Andersson who gets the whole goal open. Beautiful goal - and Rögle has 4-0!"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nils has decided that if he's going to miss WJC eligibility by less than two-weeks he'll just have to score as if he were at the tournament anyway.
Wow! Really? Hoglander misses the 2020 WJHC by just two weeks. Can you imagine if he'd been eligible again? Hoglander and Podkolzin would be dominant players in this tournament. You tend to forget just how young these players really are.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Granted it's only a couple of YouTube highlights, but just not seeing any concerns with Hoglander's wheels. On the assist, he hounds the puck from the puck carrier who has a step on him and then pivots the other way in a flash to create an odd man rush.

And on his goal, his ability to receive a pass and adjust to a shooting position in a heartbeat, is already NHL quality. Hoglander might be the most intriguing storyline in this Canuck training camp which his coming up fast.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Isn't it a caveat that Hoglander is mostly a left-winger though? If we wanna keep him there then the top 6 spot may not be his for the taking.

I am aware thought that he has played some right wing this year, correct?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Isn't it a caveat that Hoglander is mostly a left-winger though? If we wanna keep him there then the top 6 spot may not be his for the taking.

I am aware thought that he has played some right wing this year, correct?

Correct.

He's played most (maybe all I haven't watched every game) of the season at RW, but plays both LW/RW effectively. His puck pickups are equal fore/backhand, so his breakouts aren't really effected by handedness. Hoglander should bring positional versatility to the team.

Last edited:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

I know this is thread is about The Hog, but your revisionist history is BS. Toffoli never 'bolted', he signed a beyond-reasonable contract after Benning refused to give him one.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
can someone who knows how to find that stuff post a hoglander d+2 production comparison thing to see what players in his production range generally produce in the NHL?

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Just scored off a Seider rebound, 3-0 Rogle in the 2nd. Nice finish!

Edit* -

Edit2* - And there's a nice assist as I was posting the vid! After stealing the puck, Hoglander carried the puck in, sauced it cross ice to Sjogren who then went back cross ice to Andersson for the finish.

Edit3* - Inspired 2nd per for Hoglander. Finishes with 1G 1A 1SOG +2 in 3:50TOI.

Great shot for rebound by Seider there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad