Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Hoglander has the equivalent of a hockey pulse, he'll be pretty hard to keep out of the Canucks lineup for the coming season. As long he can play some decent defense in his own zone (and from all reports he's diligent in this area) then the worst that happen is that he ends up with spot duty on the third and fourth lines. I mean who, does he have to beat out?

I guess in a normal year, if he couldn't make the opening night roster you'd just send him back to Sweden or to the AHL. But these aren't 'normal times". Hoglander's SHL team was off the ice for two weeks because of a COVID outbreak, and the AHL is speculative at best. And I see all games in the Finnish Liiga have been postponed until Dec 19th because of another COVID surge.

So even if Hoglander's training camp is ordinary, they'd still be best advised to keep him on the taxi squad for eventual duty as the season winds on.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
I like to err on the side of caution with Hoglander, I also see shades of Arvidsson in him with less balance. He is a lot of fun to watch even if he is less of a projectable prospect, the fact that I also get to monitor Seider watching Rogle games make it great entertainment for me.
That comparison is right on. He’s not as strong as Arvidsson on skates but I think his hands are little better. Hopefully he works out.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
I like to err on the side of caution with Hoglander, I also see shades of Arvidsson in him with less balance. He is a lot of fun to watch even if he is less of a projectable prospect, the fact that I also get to monitor Seider watching Rogle games make it great entertainment for me.

Yes. Agree with you both that Hoglander may have less balance but more skills. I guess the caveat I was trying to make (and you guys may agree) is that Hoglander may not get everything straight away like an EP40 or QH43 would. Here is where I would try to be modest with expectations.

p.s. Been a Seider fan since reading up what could be available at 10th before the 2019 draft! Such a delight with skills, poise and personality.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
No I’m saying he may bust and not turn out to be the player we thought he would be. Basically don’t get too attached.
Just like telling my kids that Mr. Fluffy has gone to a better place to soften the blow even though in reality, I don’t think there’s a doggy heaven.
C8AB88E8-59F6-4B50-86A6-454E54A4D264.gif

Seriously though, thank you all for providing the updates and insights on Nils. I’m excited about this guy coming over.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Solid 1st period for Hoglander. Most shifts he was aggressively driving play, and had a couple good scoring chances. He did however take a dumb penalty for delay of game (tried to put his helmet back on after it came off during contact), but made up for it by creating a scoring chance, and drawing a penalty on his 1st shift afterwards. Nils just missed scoring on said PP, but the puck deflected off a defensemen's skate and hit the post. Finished with 2 missed shots, and 2 pim in 5:17TOI (1st period).

I'm off to work now, so I won't be able to watch the rest of this game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When he makes the NHL, Hoglander is going to score at least a couple of those lacrosse-style goals a season. What's truly mind-boggling is how he can balance the puck on the flat part of his stick while moving laterally or forward with speed.

Most guys who try it are either stationary or slowing down. He seems to be able to do it in stride and all in one motion. Truly impressive.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would personally think that the Canucks at this point need that extra year of ELC, so they probably keep Hoglander in Sweden.

I'd say the same with Podkolzin, but if they can get him out of how the KHL given how the coaches have been using him, I think the Canucks have to do that. Despite wanting a full year of him on an ELC when Petey/Hughes are on their next contracts.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It's a large ask, but if he plays like that and brings like level of tenacity and fearlesssness to the NHL, he will be successful.

Baby steps, but he looks great

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The kid has incredible hands, but what’s fantastic (to me) from this play isn’t the fancy puck skills; it’s his fearless attack of net from. The havoc he creates is going to be a real pain in the arse for opposing goalies. Love seeing guys head to net front, with puck on stick, like that.

What I like was him avoiding the check at the same time putting the puck on his stick
Very quick

As well as aggressive

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Does anyone else get Pettersson vibes from this kid? He won’t be as good as Pettersson obviously but looking at the way he can dangle around defenders, I’m reminded of watching Pettersson play in Sweden pulling those sick moves. Oh my god I’m getting way too excited about this kid now someone tell me how bad he is defensively or something so I don’t go off the deep end...

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
When Hoglander pulled the lacrosse move I wasn't that impressed. We've seen guys like Rob Schremp master that and he never went anywhere in the NHL. But the way Hoglander does it is very different and actually becomes usable in a real game which is something I never thought possible. He seems like a real innovator which bodes really well for him, he couldn't have come at a more welcome time in NHL history for the kind of player he is.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Does anyone else get Pettersson vibes from this kid? He won’t be as good as Pettersson obviously but looking at the way he can dangle around defenders, I’m reminded of watching Pettersson play in Sweden pulling those sick moves. Oh my god I’m getting way too excited about this kid now someone tell me how bad he is defensively or something so I don’t go off the deep end...

i get petri skriko vibes only i think the lacrosse move is going to be easier to adjust to than the off foot wrist shot release. i am sure he brings other skills to the table, but i bet his coaches wish he would spend more energy on them.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
His coach was on the radio this morning and thinks he has a good shot at making the Canucks. Said his biggest asset is his overall compete and desire to improve (sounds eerily similar to what we heard about another young Swede currently on the roster). He really emphasized his compete in the offensive zone. Hoglander nearly always comes away with a loose puck and he thinks there is no one on the Canucks roster that is as good at that as him especially on the half wall. He also said he’s worked on his skating and play away from the puck and both have improved.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i get petri skriko vibes only i think the lacrosse move is going to be easier to adjust to than the off foot wrist shot release. i am sure he brings other skills to the table, but i bet his coaches wish he would spend more energy on them.
His current coach in Sweden said he wished Hoglander did he lacrosse move more often. He’s tried it 4 times and scored twice so it’s a high percentage move. His coach encouraged him to use it as often as he can.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
His current coach in Sweden said he wished Hoglander did he lacrosse move more often. He’s tried it 4 times and scored twice so it’s a high percentage move. His coach encouraged him to use it as often as he can.

it worked for skriko for several seasons.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

no. not one bit. in any way except they swedish

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
His coach was on the radio this morning and thinks he has a good shot at making the Canucks. Said his biggest asset is his overall compete and desire to improve (sounds eerily similar to what we heard about another young Swede currently on the roster). He really emphasized his compete in the offensive zone. Hoglander nearly always comes away with a loose puck and he thinks there is no one on the Canucks roster that is as good at that as him especially on the half wall. He also said he’s worked on his skating and play away from the puck and both have improved.

If Hoglander becomes a legit top six player along with Podkolzin...boy oh boy the canucks are going to be good up front. :cheers:

Here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->