Value of: Nikolji Ehlers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Easy with the attitude buddy.
If I recall correctly I remember many people (over the last few months including during the trade deadline TSN, Sportsnet, MacKenzie, Friedman etc) that Oil would love to find a winger(s) to round out the T6. Yeah, Leon could play with Connor and rack up all the points they want but let’s face it, Connor accounts for half the teams goals. He is literally carrying your team.
All i stated was I would love to see Drai on the Peg and that McD and Ehlers would be a force together and what the plus would have to be.
You are not getting a T6 winger giving up Puli and scraps. Good luck in the off season signing a T6 winger as a UFA for a reasonable CAP. Keep your 8OA and draft a winger who will contribute in 3 years, keep your current D and keep running the rebuild for another 3-4 years and see how long it takes McD to loose his patience.
Oil need to make a splash this offseason to keep him happy whether you like it or not!

Klefbom or Nurse + 8OA is way more valuable than Ehlers to us. Then you ask what you'd need to add to Ehlers to get Draisaitl? How About Scheifele? Yeah I know that will go over like a lead balloon but Draisaitl is as untouchable to us as Scheifele is to your team. Add in that we already now that Drai and Connor are money together and we would hope that Ehlers would have a similar connection with Connor or else we lose that trade going away.

We'd like to make a splash in a nice clear pool, not a splash in a broken airport toilet filled with ****.

Reactions: 780il

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd trade Ehlers for Nuge straight up. I don't know if Edmonton would. Or why they would. Only because that would give the Jets sufficient centre depth, which is I think a key to victory. And the Nuge was pretty good with Scheif as a Team Canada linemate.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
People that know the Jets cap situation are making a lot of assumptions that so many things need to happen in order for the Jets to keep Ehlers. It's not really realistic.

First, there has to be takers for both Kulikov and Perreault. Both overpaid as a 3rd line player and a 3rd pairing D. Both have term left as well

Second, the calculation was done for about 73M on 15 to 16 players signed. There is about 8 to 9 M left on the remaining 7 or 8 players to fill out the 23 man roster. That is not a lot, big assumption that they will go with all cheap players to fill out remaining 7 or 8 roster spots.

Third, assumption that Jets will not resign Hayes or Myers or find any legit replacements for these players. This is the team that went after a second line center two deadlines in a row. Myers is technically on the 3rd pairing but still plays over 20 mins a game.

Last, If they don't move Ehlers, that means Jets are spending about 30 million on their top 4 wingers Ehlers, Laine, Connor. About 40% of the cap on your top 4 wingers make no sense when you have a weakness at the second line center position. With Myers gone, No Legit number 4 D. This is the team that struggle without Buff and Morrisey. Don't think Jets wants to weaken their D more but not finding a replacement for Myers.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers or one of the other core is not traded. If you go by these 8 players as your core Laine Ehlers Wheeler Connor Schefelie Buff Morrisey and Trouba. Ehlers is least valuable of the core.

Moving Perreault+Kullikov + re-signing Laine(8) /Trouba (8) /Connor (7.5)/Brossoit (1)/Copp (1.5) and promoting players from the AHL they'd have 75.6M/83M projected cap. they'd need to fill a 4LW and 3LD spot. you can find cheap depth to fill those roles id think

They have Poolman who can play a 3RD spot with Myers gone, and Appleton who can fill a W spot with Tanev gone. Vesalainen probably makes the big club too

Myers can walk. He's a 5.5M Bottom Pairing Dman that is barely average for his role. his 5v5 mins can go to Poolman (roughly 15 mins per game), PP mins can go to Trouba full-time and PK can be spread evenly.

be prepared to be surprised this offseason b/c they do not need to move Ehlers at all

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
0 interest in trading 6 years of Ehlers for 2 of Nuge.

Whereas for us RNH is a western Canadian kid that’s been in Alberta since he was 15 years old and he’s marrying an Alberta girl. Not concerned in the least about him sticking around here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Whereas for us RNH is a western Canadian kid that’s been in Alberta since he was 15 years old and he’s marrying an Alberta girl. Not concerned in the least about him sticking around here.

That’s a fair comment, Jets can’t be that confident. Need the sure thing, if Nuge was signed long term I would do the trade (maybe 4 years or more).....but of course the Oilers wouldn’t. No logical trade to be had

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Moving Perreault+Kullikov + re-signing Laine(8) /Trouba (8) /Connor (7.5)/Brossoit (1)/Copp (1.5) and promoting players from the AHL they'd have 75.6M/83M projected cap. they'd need to fill a 4LW and 3LD spot. you can find cheap depth to fill those roles id think

They have Poolman who can play a 3RD spot with Myers gone, and Appleton who can fill a W spot with Tanev gone. Vesalainen probably makes the big club too

Myers can walk. He's a 5.5M Bottom Pairing Dman that is barely average for his role. his 5v5 mins can go to Poolman (roughly 15 mins per game), PP mins can go to Trouba full-time and PK can be spread evenly.

be prepared to be surprised this offseason b/c they do not need to move Ehlers at all

You decided to ignore all the points I made. Anybody can make a lists and add the numbers to fit Ehlers in. you only need to know how to add or use a calculator to do that and I guess use Google to search for the players salaries. But it doesn't mean it make the most sense for the Jets to keep Ehlers.

Sure they don't have to get rid of Ehlers but it doesn't mean there not going too. Also we are all just making an assumption that Kulikov and Perreault contract can be moved.

Also how do you know if Jets GM don't want to resign Hayes or any other center or try to sign another legit number 4 D behind Buff Trouba Morrisey. We all don't, if they want to resign Hayes. Ehlers or another core needs to go.

Cup contender they usually value the center position and d more than wingers. I think completely reasonable to think Jets might want to spend that money elsewhere and not just spend close to 40% of the cap on 4 wingers Wheelers Laine Connor Ehlers.

We are going around a circles now.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Good golly Ms. Molly there’s a lot of junk being peddled Winnipeg’s way in this thread.

We’ll keep Ehlers.

Reactions: Snowman

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Good golly Ms. Molly there’s a lot of junk being peddled Winnipeg’s way in this thread.

We’ll keep Ehlers.

I guess if you were a GM. A legit second line center is not important to you. Most cup contenders think the second line center is very important. There is the reason why the last two years. Stasney and Hayes were traded to the Jets. Don't think Jets want to give another 1st round pick at next year deadline to get another second line center rental.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I guess if you were a GM. A legit second line center is not important to you. Most cup contenders think the second line center is very important. There is the reason why the last two years. Stasney and Hayes were traded to the Jets. Don't think Jets want to give another 1st round pick at next year deadline to get another second line center rental.

This wasn’t the proposal I was referencing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->