Value of: Nikolji Ehlers

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Myers won't resign
Kulikov will get bought out
Parreault will be tradded

Right now Jets have 12 players signed for around 56 M. Let's say the cap will raise to 82 M.

Let's say Laine signs for 8 M and Connor 7.5 M and Trouba 8 M. That is 23.5 M. They get rid of Perreault and Kulikov contracts. 8.5 M gone. That is still increase about 15 M.

So they will have 71 M signed signed for 14 players. 11/12 M to fill out the remaining 9 players on the roster is not a lot. Also Jets will still need to find a top 4 D to replace Myers. Also Jets might want to find a long term solution for the second line center so they might want to resign Hayes. Jets can't trade their 1st every year for a second line center position.

I will feel very surprised if one of the main core is not traded. The math doesn't add up. Ehlers is the least valuable of the core so it make sense for the Jets to trade Ehlers.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Well either Ehlers or Maurice need to go!!! Ehlers Will give Chevy an ultimatum in the off season its either him or Maurice... So Ehlers he Will be available!!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Right now Jets have 12 players signed for around 56 M. Let's say the cap will raise to 82 M.

Let's say Laine signs for 8 M and Connor 7.5 M and Trouba 8 M. That is 23.5 M. They get rid of Perreault and Kulikov contracts. 8.5 M gone. That is still increase about 15 M.

So they will have 71 M signed signed for 14 players. 11/12 M to fill out the remaining 9 players on the roster is not a lot. Also Jets will still need to find a top 4 D to replace Myers. Also Jets might want to find a long term solution for the second line center so they might want to resign Hayes. Jets can't trade their 1st every year for a second line center position.

I will feel very surprised if one of the main core is not traded. The math doesn't add up. Ehlers is the least valuable of the core so it make sense for the Jets to trade Ehlers.
Assuming your numbers....

Scheifele 6.125M
Little 5.2916M
Copp RFA
Lowry 2.9167M

Connor 7.5M
Ehlers 6M
Vesalainen 0.925M
X (4LW)

Wheeler 8.25M
Laine 8M
Roslovic 0.89416M
Appleton 0.74167M

Morrissey 3.15M
Niku 0.775M
X (3LD)

Trouba 8M
Byfuglien 7.6M
Poolman 0.775M

Helle 6.167
Brossoit RFA

This occupies 73.1M of your 82M cap. i think feasible projections for Brossoit and Copp are 1 and 1.5M?

So 6.38M left for a cheap 3LD and 4LW and PB guy(s).

They don't need a top 4 D to replace Myers. Myers has been a bottom pairing D that makes 5.5M, a luxury the Jets cannot afford going forward due to impending raises

I think Laine will get bridged in the 6-7M range personally and i think you're a tad high on KC (i have him in the 6.5-7M range)

Last edited:
Reactions: RRenegade

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Ehlers isn't the calibre of player you think he is. A good 30 goal + 65 point guy but not the elite star winger you think he is.

Ehlers can't hold Patrick Kane's jock.
Patrick Kane wears a jock?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Too bad he 's a LW. MN has way too many as is. They certainly have pieces that would entice WPG.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Too bad he 's a LW. MN has way too many as is. They certainly have pieces that would entice WPG.

As explained by people who know the Jets cap situation.....Ehlers certainly wouldn't be traded or at least one of the last if you follow the idea of The Great One can be traded anyone can......while true is very very unlikely. Also even if we played the very unlikely game of Ehlers was traded......no chance he's traded to Minny or any team in the central.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He's a great player who have a bargain contract and his usage ins't optimal, because Maurice's love for Wheeler. Still manages to score.

Oilers should offer RHN, Nurse and first for him. Ehlers is probably 2nd fastest player in the league after McDavid that would be fun to watch.

Ehlers' problem is he's faster than his mind. No way even with his contract he fetches that kinda value lol.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Ehlers' problem is he's faster than his mind. No way even with his contract he fetches that kinda value lol.

I could definitely see a deal around Klef or Nurse and 8OA (or Ehlers for Pesce + small add) come draft day. McDavid really needs a winger like Ehlers to play with and could see the new GM making a splash like that and as for Carolina it is exactly what they would be missing along side Aho. Ehlers and McJesus (or Aho) would be insane.
I love Ehlers and would hate losing him but I don’t think we can keep all our assets.

As a Peg fan I would definitely do Ehlers + for Draisaitl. What say you Edm fans? what would the + have to be?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I could definitely see a deal around Klef or Nurse and 8OA (or Ehlers for Pesce + small add) come draft day. McDavid really needs a winger like Ehlers to play with and could see the new GM making a splash like that and as for Carolina it is exactly what they would be missing along side Aho. Ehlers and McJesus (or Aho) would be insane.
I love Ehlers and would hate losing him but I don’t think we can keep all our assets.

As a Peg fan I would definitely do Ehlers + for Draisaitl. What say you Edm fans? what would the + have to be?
There is literally no way in hell we are trading you one of Klefbom or Nurse alone for Ehlers.... Let alone adding a top f***ing 8 pick to it.

Ehlers isn't a reasonable starting point for Draisaitl... There is no + that you'd want to add that would get Leon.

Also, can we stop with the "Connor needs a winger" narrative. The guy played with Leon and got new career highs for himself having played 6 or 7 less games and Leon scored 50 goals and 105 points.... MCDAVID DOESNT NEED A WINGER, we need 2 good ones for the 2nd line because rn, apart from Nuge we have 0 depth scoring.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
There is literally no way in hell we are trading you one of Klefbom or Nurse alone for Ehlers.... Let alone adding a top ****ing 8 pick to it.

Ehlers isn't a reasonable starting point for Draisaitl... There is no + that you'd want to add that would get Leon.

Also, can we stop with the "Connor needs a winger" narrative. The guy played with Leon and got new career highs for himself having played 6 or 7 less games and Leon scored 50 goals and 105 points.... MCDAVID DOESNT NEED A WINGER, we need 2 good ones for the 2nd line because rn, apart from Nuge we have 0 depth scoring.

Easy with the attitude buddy.
If I recall correctly I remember many people (over the last few months including during the trade deadline TSN, Sportsnet, MacKenzie, Friedman etc) that Oil would love to find a winger(s) to round out the T6. Yeah, Leon could play with Connor and rack up all the points they want but let’s face it, Connor accounts for half the teams goals. He is literally carrying your team.
All i stated was I would love to see Drai on the Peg and that McD and Ehlers would be a force together and what the plus would have to be.
You are not getting a T6 winger giving up Puli and scraps. Good luck in the off season signing a T6 winger as a UFA for a reasonable CAP. Keep your 8OA and draft a winger who will contribute in 3 years, keep your current D and keep running the rebuild for another 3-4 years and see how long it takes McD to loose his patience.
Oil need to make a splash this offseason to keep him happy whether you like it or not!

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If I recall correctly I remember many people (over the last few months including during the trade deadline TSN, Sportsnet, MacKenzie, Friedman etc) that Oil would love to find a winger(s) to round out the T6. Yeah, Leon could play with Connor and rack up all the points they want but let’s face it, Connor accounts for half the teams goals. He is literally carrying your team.
All i stated was I would love to see Drai on the Peg and that McD and Ehlers would be a force together and what the plus would have to be.
You are not getting a T6 winger giving up Puli and scraps. Good luck in the off season signing a T6 winger as a UFA for a reasonable CAP. Keep your 8OA and draft a winger who will contribute in 3 years, keep your current D and keep running the rebuild for another 3-4 years and see how long it takes McD to loose his patience.
Oil need to make a splash this offseason to keep him happy whether you like it or not!
That splash shouldn't come in the form of trading our 2nd best player for what's been a 40 point guy this year.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
As explained by people who know the Jets cap situation.....Ehlers certainly wouldn't be traded or at least one of the last if you follow the idea of The Great One can be traded anyone can......while true is very very unlikely. Also even if we played the very unlikely game of Ehlers was traded......no chance he's traded to Minny or any team in the central.

People that know the Jets cap situation are making a lot of assumptions that so many things need to happen in order for the Jets to keep Ehlers. It's not really realistic.

First, there has to be takers for both Kulikov and Perreault. Both overpaid as a 3rd line player and a 3rd pairing D. Both have term left as well

Second, the calculation was done for about 73M on 15 to 16 players signed. There is about 8 to 9 M left on the remaining 7 or 8 players to fill out the 23 man roster. That is not a lot, big assumption that they will go with all cheap players to fill out remaining 7 or 8 roster spots.

Third, assumption that Jets will not resign Hayes or Myers or find any legit replacements for these players. This is the team that went after a second line center two deadlines in a row. Myers is technically on the 3rd pairing but still plays over 20 mins a game.

Last, If they don't move Ehlers, that means Jets are spending about 30 million on their top 4 wingers Ehlers, Laine, Connor. About 40% of the cap on your top 4 wingers make no sense when you have a weakness at the second line center position. With Myers gone, No Legit number 4 D. This is the team that struggle without Buff and Morrisey. Don't think Jets wants to weaken their D more but not finding a replacement for Myers.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers or one of the other core is not traded. If you go by these 8 players as your core Laine Ehlers Wheeler Connor Schefelie Buff Morrisey and Trouba. Ehlers is least valuable of the core.

Last edited:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
People that know the Jets cap situation are making a lot of assumptions that so many things need to happen in order for the Jets to keep Ehlers. It's not really realistic.

First, there has to be takers for both Kulikov and Perreault. Both overpaid as a 3rd line player and a 3rd pairing D. Both have term left as well

Second, the calculation was done for about 73M on 15 to 16 players signed. There is about 8 to 9 M left on the remaining 7 or 8 players to fill out the 23 man roster. That is not a lot, big assumption that they will go with all cheap players to fill out remaining 7 or 8 roster spots.

Third, assumption that Jets will not resign Hayes or Myers or find any legit replacements for these players. This is the team that went after a second line center two deadlines in a row. Myers is technically on the 3rd pairing but still plays over 20 mins a game.

Last, If they don't move Ehlers, that means Jets are spending about 30 million on their top 4 wingers Ehlers, Laine, Connor. About 40% of the cap on your top 4 wingers make no sense when you have a weakness at the second line center position. With Myers gone, No Legit number 4 D. This is the team that struggle without Buff and Morrisey. Don't think Jets wants to weaken their D more but not finding a replacement for Myers.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers or one of the other core is not traded. If you go by these 8 players as your core Laine Ehlers Wheeler Connor Schefelie Buff Morrisey and Trouba. Ehlers is least valuable of the core.
You will be very surprised then I guess. Zero chance Ehlers is moved.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah, thanks for playing, Ehlers is staying. Come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

Reactions: DRW204 and Snowman

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

You are right the Oilers need to make a splash . Trade a 100+ Point C/winger for a 40 for a point winger is not a splash . It a crash and burn . It flying the jet at full speed into the side of a mountain . No splash about it lots of smoke and flames . If you are a true hockey fan there no way you can justify such a trade .

8st OA pick will more then likely get a better player . Nurse , 8st OA and RNH , now Draisaitl . If anyone believe these are fair value you need help :help:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yeah, thanks for playing, Ehlers is staying. Come back when you actually know what you're talking about.

Which part do you disagree with? What is your argument? If you disagree, at least give your side of the story. It seem you are just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. My guess you don't know how to defend any of my points.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Which part do you disagree with? What is your argument? If you disagree, at least give your side of the story. It seem you are just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. My guess you don't know how to defend any of my points.
I could, or you could read some of the replies in this very thread.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The part where you think the Jets have to trade Ehlers when it as an absolute certainty they will keep him is pretty humorous if you enjoy ignorant people doubling down on their ignorance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad