Value of: Nikolji Ehlers

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
8th pick + Bear?

Would add a little bit to that if you couldn't negotiate a contract with Connor and were willing to give him up.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The Islanders will probably dangle Nick Leddy this offseason, not sure if that’s what Winnipeg is looking for if they were to move Ehlers however.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He's a great player who have a bargain contract and his usage ins't optimal, because Maurice's love for Wheeler. Still manages to score.

Oilers should offer RHN, Nurse and first for him. Ehlers is probably 2nd fastest player in the league after McDavid that would be fun to watch.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
He's a great player who have a bargain contract and his usage ins't optimal, because Maurice's love for Wheeler. Still manages to score.

Oilers should offer RHN, Nurse and first for him. Ehlers is probably 2nd fastest player in the league after McDavid that would be fun to watch.
That is crazy too much

Does WNG need to move a player because of cap if so out of all the players you have which players will other teams want

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
That is crazy too much

Does WNG need to move a player because of cap if so out of all the players you have which players will other teams want

A lot depends on if Trouba extends or not and if we go bridge or go long term with Connor/Laine.

IMO if we move on from Myers and Trouba goes to arbitration or is traded we don't need to move anyone. If Trouba signs long term we'd need to bridge Connor and Laine and likely let Tanev move on.

It's a combination of cap and positional need, but there could be a scenario where Winnipeg looks to trade a winger for a top pair RHD with term or an "A" RHD prospect that is nearly ready and a vet with a year or two left to help bridge the gap. Wheeler has a NMC and Ehlers $6 per contract looks like great value compared to what the Nylanders of the world are signing for now so he's not going anywhere. Which means we'd probably be exploring trading Connor or Laine depending on contract demands.

Another player we may look to move that teams should want is Perreault. His ice time is way down this year because we've been pretty healthy up front but if we move Connor or Laine he may find himself playing top 6 minutes for us again next year. Cap hit is a little high, but a player that every team would want if they could handle his cap. Kulikov gets talked about as well, but the return probably wouldn't be much and we may even find we need to add to get someone to take him.

It's all very fluid, but IMO it all hinges on Trouba and what he decides to do combined with how the Jets perform in the playoffs.

So if a winger is traded it's mostly due to us needing to backfill for Trouba at 1RD more so than the cap. If Trouba is traded it's likely for futures and/or a 2C that can replace Little. If a player is traded strictly due to the cap it would be Perreault or Kulikov.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Not sure if bad trolling attempt ?

May I remind you Nurse himself outscored Ehlers this season?

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
End the thread here.His sweet contract along with the fact that he's Laine's best friend is all you need to know.
People have to realize when it comes to the GM they don’t look at best friends, how many teams have traded a stars best friend, it happens often. A GM looks at what is best for the team to be better.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Are you kidding?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
No. His value contract makes him untouchable. He will not be traded, it would be someone else.
Of course he is not untouchable. EVERY player is available. His contract may even make him more valuable as a trade asset.

If the Jets exit the playoffs early and look as weary as they have for much of the second half of this season, Chevy has both incentive and reason to make several substantial moves. Something has to develop re Trouba, that may lead to a major deal involving a couple of young in their prime players from Winnipeg being moved.

The lack of a 2C that creates offence has really been noticeable the last 2 years. IMO if the JETS want to be truly serious contenders that is a position that needs to be addressed and no Stastny for one playoff run and likely Hayes for another isn't the answer. Something has to be given and automatically dismissing Ehlers as potentially someone that won't be considered is severely short sighted.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

What the actual f***?

Nuge by himself > Ehlers lol

Reactions: Bruhin

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Of course he is not untouchable. EVERY player is available. His contract may even make him more valuable as a trade asset.

If the Jets exit the playoffs early and look as weary as they have for much of the second half of this season, Chevy has both incentive and reason to make several substantial moves. Something has to develop re Trouba, that may lead to a major deal involving a couple of young in their prime players from Winnipeg being moved.

The lack of a 2C that creates offence has really been noticeable the last 2 years. IMO if the JETS want to be truly serious contenders that is a position that needs to be addressed and no Stastny for one playoff run and likely Hayes for another isn't the answer. Something has to be given and automatically dismissing Ehlers as potentially someone that won't be considered is severely short sighted.
So your biggest need is 2c? Then I assume a replacement for Trouba potentially?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
So your biggest need is 2c? Then I assume a replacement for Trouba potentially?
Well since Trouba isn't off the roster yes but if he is then it's a coin flip matter of opinion what is the priority.

In this day and age it is extremely rare to mold a roster that doesn't have either weak or weaker spots or average players at a few places. IMO if you don't have a strong 2C that can generate and carry the offensive load at least for a substantial time you won't be in the top 4 or so true contenders.

Just the moves the last 2 trade deadlines indicate that Chevy saw a hole in his roster and was bold enough to address it. Hayes to me is an ok player but not truly the second C you want. So how much do you offer him, what would it take dollar wise to have him want to be in Winnipeg? I don't think it is marriage that lasts past this playoff run.

Jets aren't going to continually use future high assets to fill that spot, so an old fashioned hockey trade is certainly an option. Trading a young piece like Ehlers isn't an automatic no. Like I said, if the Jets bow out without a real push the stage is set for Chevy to retool, fine tune, shake up this roster imo.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What the actual ****?

Nuge by himself > Ehlers lol

I've noticed you saying Nuge > Ehlers a couple of times now but you haven't backed it up. Care to elaborate? Because from quickly glancing over their stats and underlying metrics it would seem Ehlers as done more with less icetime. It took Nuge 8 seasons to produce more than Ehlers did in his sophomore season :dunno:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hahahaha. Did Ehlers become a prime Bure when I wasn’t looking? That’s absolutely ridiculous.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I've noticed you saying Nuge > Ehlers a couple of times now but you haven't backed it up. Care to elaborate? Because from quickly glancing over their stats and underlying metrics it would seem Ehlers as done more with less icetime. It took Nuge 8 seasons to produce more than Ehlers did in his sophomore season :dunno:
Well, Nuge is not nearly as flashy as Ehlers and he doesn't have the shot.

But, he plays the harder position (center). Is the better 2 way player, is a good bit better in his own zone especially when factoring in that centers defensive duties >> a wingers defensive duties. He's outproduced Ehlers career high by 8 (?) points this season while playing center. While on one of the worst teams in the league. While getting completely trash linemates like Lucic, Reider, Puljujarvi etc on his wings.

You can agree to disagree, jmo

Reactions: DashingDane

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

RNH damn near hit 70 points primarily playing with Milan Lucic at even strength. Ehlers has never had an anchor like that dragging him down, doesn’t play C, only managed 37 points and seems to get some pretty prime linemates.

RNH is coming off his best ever season on a much worse team, Ehlers had his worst season with a much superior supporting cast. IMO, Ehlers having more years on his deal isn’t necessarily a good thing after the year he had.

Sure, he had a great sophomore season, but we’re talking about the player he is today - the one with 37 points in 62 games despite linemates like Scheifele/Wheeler/Connor/Hayes.

Even if you think Ehlers is the better player, expecting 8th overall and Nurse to come with RNH is absolutely outlandish and would get insta-locked if it was in his own thread.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Well, Nuge is not nearly as flashy as Ehlers and he doesn't have the shot.

But, he plays the harder position (center). Is the better 2 way player, is a good bit better in his own zone especially when factoring in that centers defensive duties >> a wingers defensive duties. He's outproduced Ehlers career high by 8 (?) points this season while playing center. While on one of the worst teams in the league. While getting completely trash linemates like Lucic, Reider, Puljujarvi etc on his wings.

You can agree to disagree, jmo

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughtful reply. I think I disagree with everything but the positional advantage/importance. I can't find the comparables that were shared on HFJets but turns out Ehlers was the best defensive Jets player in the top 6 this season. Something most people underrate with him. It should also be mentioned that Nuge plays over 4min more than Ehlers per game on average. Ehlers has been putting up those numbers while being one of the most shuffled around Jets forwards, averaging borderline 2nd/3rd line minutes and playing pp2.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No interest or need in trading Ehlers barring an offer the Jets simply couldn’t refuse that includes a very good young 2C or top 4 D signed long term.....otherwise go away. Ehlers is one of the least likely players to be traded.

Reactions: Snowman

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
RNH damn near hit 70 points primarily playing with Milan Lucic at even strength. Ehlers has never had an anchor like that dragging him down, doesn’t play C, only managed 38 points and seems to get some pretty prime linemates.

RNH is coming off his best ever season on a much worse team, Ehlers had his worst season with a much superior supporting cast. IMO, Ehlers having more years on his deal isn’t necessarily a good thing after the year he had.

Sure, he had a great sophomore season, but we’re talking about the player he is today - the one with 38 points in 72 games despite linemates like Scheifele/Wheeler/Connor/Hayes.

Even if you think Ehlers is the better player, expecting 8th overall and Nurse to come with RNH is absolutely outlandish and would get insta-locked if it was in his own thread.

Agree that offer was ridiculous (wasn't mine). But so are some of the comments you just wrote :laugh:. Ehlers was out for 20 games injured and has played on every single line including the 4th on the Jets. He plays 4min less than Nuge, is younger, defensively underrated and historically produces more. I'm fine with anyone picking either one as being "best" but think it's a lot closer than I have seen some oilers fans say. We are all biased as I mostly watch Ehlers and you usually watch Nuge.

Well.. I'm off the watch him play in the playoffs ;)

Reactions: kylbaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad