Nikolay Kulemin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty random question, but why did Nikolai Kulemin change the spelling of his name to "Nikolay" when he moved to New York? Never seen it spelt like that with any other Nikolai's in hockey.

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
I saw the title and I thought to myself "why did you spell Nikolai like that" :laugh:

To answer the question I have no idea but Nikolai looks better to me XD

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Wasn't it the IIHF that tried to standardize the spelling of European names? Maybe that's how he changed.

I think that's how Yemelin became Emelin and Kastsitsyn became Kostitsyn.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Forget about his first name, it's his last name that should be changed. It's actually pronounced Kul-Yo-min, not Kul-e-min. So it should be spelled Kulyomin in NHL as well.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nikolai and Nikolay are the same thing.
Just like Evgeni Malkin and Evgeny Kuznetsov.

At the Olympics, Malkin's first name was spelt "Yevgeni".
Semin was spelt "Syomin" because it is true to the pronunciation of his name in Russian.
Kulemin should be "Kulyomin", Artem Anisimov should be "Artyom"...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Nikolay is the Americanized way of a players name.

Guys like Artemi Panarin and Nikolai Goldobin have their names spelled with a y here. Probably to emphasize pronunciation.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
The international transliteration of cyrillic names changes in the russian travel passports all the time. It might have changed in his new documents, so they changed it in his contract too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He needs better English speaking friends

The guy was drafted by the Caps 13 years ago and still doesn't speak English very well. He understands and expresses himself fine, but his buddy Ovechkin speaks much better.
It doesn't help for his popularity that his name translated in English makes 12 year olds giggle.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I read an article about this when he signed.

Apparently it was always wrong on his Canadian information but he never got it fixed. When he had to file new documentation to work in the United States, it let him correct it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
What is with the "yo" and "e" from Russian to English?

Yo = ё.

Semin = Сёмин

However The Russian alphabet also has the letter e, such as in the spelling of Evgeni.

Evgeni = Евгений.

So the spelling "Semin" is not exactly correct, because the Russian name uses the other "e."

Personally, I prefer "Semin" to "Syomin," because the latter isn't really accurate either. Makes it seem that the name is three syllables, but it's just two. Also looks weird.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I read an article about this when he signed.

Apparently it was always wrong on his Canadian information but he never got it fixed. When he had to file new documentation to work in the United States, it let him correct it.

I don't think it's "wrong." Seems he just likes the new spelling better.

There is no concretely right way to spell Nikolai, because you're transferring from the cyrillic alphabet.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Pretty random question, but why did Nikolai Kulemin change the spelling of his name to "Nikolay" when he moved to New York? Never seen it spelt like that with any other Nikolai's in hockey.

No clue he had even changed it.

Technically, though, it's correct.

Николай = Nikolay.

The letter и is usually transliterated as an i.
The letter й is transliterated as a y.

ZeroPT*

Yo = ё.

Semin = Сёмин

However The Russian alphabet also has the letter e, such as in the spelling of Evgeni.

Evgeni = Евгений.

So the spelling "Semin" is not exactly correct, because the Russian name uses the other "e."

Personally, I prefer "Semin" to "Syomin," because the latter isn't really accurate either. Makes it seem that the name is three syllables, but it's just two. Also looks weird.

Is it similar to "chev"?

Ivan " Barbashev" was spelt "Barbashyov" in the WJC. Same with "Dergachev"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad