Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Petey tailed off for various reasons but not having a useless soft weiner on his wing wasn't one of them.

Maybe not, but they were an effective combo is what I'm getting at.

Boeser is obviously a lot more valuable as a finisher, but Goldy brings more to the table in transition.

A Goldy - Petey - Boeser line would be quite effective.

Use him, pump his value, and if we still don't like him we can move him for some kind of value.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
My take on it was that Goldobin's chemistry with EP came from one thing: he was able to facilitate a transition into the offensive zone without the play regularly dying on his stick. In every other aspect, he was a passenger on the line. The question remains whether in our glut of fowards, is there anyone else that can add that transiton element to EP's line - a facet that definitely facilitates EP's production?

Reactions: I am toxic

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My take on it was that Goldobin's chemistry with EP came from one thing: he was able to facilitate a transition into the offensive zone without the play regularly dying on his stick. In every other aspect, he was a passenger on the line. The question remains whether in our glut of fowards, is there anyone else that can add that transiton element to EP's line - a facet that definitely facilitates EP's production?

And on EP's line Goldobin didn't have to get the puck himself. With the puck Goldobin can make plays. He also knows how to get into scoring position for EP to get him the puck.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
And on EP's line Goldobin didn't have to get the puck himself. With the puck Goldobin can make plays. He also knows how to get into scoring position for EP to get him the puck.

He’d get into prime scoring areas and once he had the puck he would promptly squander those scoring opportunities. If he could actually finish on a decent number of those chances and facilitate transition while still exhibiting the glaring deficiencies in his game, I have no doubt that many on this board would be enthusiastic about his return to the lineup this season. Just doesn’t seem to bring enough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Goldy is now doing TV ads for one of the local Audi dealerships. At least they're confident he'll get signed and make the team this fall.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Unless he improves over the summer, I don't see him making the team. 1-dimensional and inconsistent. The top 6 is spoken for already, and he would get eaten alive in a checking role.

Maybe they keep him around as the 13th forward, but I doubt even that. My bet is that he is waived, and that'll be the last we see of him, one way or another.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Miller
Pearson Sutter Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Gaudette

Then we have Roussel coming back in December and Motte as the 13th forward to start the season.
Roussel was VERY effective last year. He hit, provided energy, scored at a 40 point pace, good two-way player also

The only player I could see Goldy replacing is Baertschi if he gets hurt again...however if healthy, Baertschi is twice the player Goldy is.
Leivo maybe? If Leivo isn't doing much and the team is having trouble generating offense, then maybe they'd put in Goldy over a guy like Leivo? but that's a big if. ... we have bigger problems if they're considering that.

I just don't see space on the team for him. I'd try to trade him for a similar value defensive Dman.
I think we'll get enough offense out of Edler, Hughes, Stetcher and Myers. I wouldnt mind a younger version of Jordie Benn if you can find one. Our depth on D is more of a weakness IMO. Who's our nubmer 7? Fantenburg? I dont have a lot of confidence in that. Fantenburg and Juolevi are big question marks and i'm 95% sure we'll need to utilize a number 7 Dman for at least 20 games this year. Probably more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Goldy hits the waiver wire, it'll be another trade between the Sharks and Canucks that didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Lost track of the number of times these two Pacific Division rivals have exchanged failed prospects and players. But I guess nuthin' from nuthin' always equals nuthim' in the end.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
If Goldy hits the waiver wire, it'll be another trade between the Sharks and Canucks that didn't amount to a hill of beans.

Lost track of the number of times these two Pacific Division rivals have exchanged failed prospects and players. But I guess nuthin' from nuthin' always equals nuthim' in the end.
Erhoff begs to differ

Reactions: Bougieman

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Miller
Pearson Sutter Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Gaudette

Then we have Roussel coming back in December and Motte as the 13th forward to start the season.
Roussel was VERY effective last year. He hit, provided energy, scored at a 40 point pace, good two-way player also

The only player I could see Goldy replacing is Baertschi if he gets hurt again...however if healthy, Baertschi is twice the player Goldy is.
Leivo maybe? If Leivo isn't doing much and the team is having trouble generating offense, then maybe they'd put in Goldy over a guy like Leivo? but that's a big if. ... we have bigger problems if they're considering that.

I just don't see space on the team for him. I'd try to trade him for a similar value defensive Dman.
I think we'll get enough offense out of Edler, Hughes, Stetcher and Myers. I wouldnt mind a younger version of Jordie Benn if you can find one. Our depth on D is more of a weakness IMO. Who's our nubmer 7? Fantenburg? I dont have a lot of confidence in that. Fantenburg and Juolevi are big question marks and i'm 95% sure we'll need to utilize a number 7 Dman for at least 20 games this year. Probably more.

Aren’t all three of these players “shoot first” players? That line doesn’t seem like it would work very well.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Wouldn't mind trying something a little crazy like

Miller-Pettersson-Goldobin
Baer-Bo-Boes

Don't ask me to work out the log jam in our bottom 6

Feb 19, 2018
Hard part is he won’t clear waivers again and if we call him up and he doesn’t perform we could potentially lose an asset for nothing.
I hope we trade him before we call him up as his value is only growing in one of the best leagues outside the NHL.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Sucks...

He didn’t seem to be in the plans, I do sincerely question why he didn’t at least get a serious look at some point this year. I know we were pushing for the playoffs, but Goldobin could have taken 2nd or 3rd line minutes as an injury fill in. I’d feel better about him leaving if he fizzled out again, at this point it’s an unknown.

Reactions: sexydonut

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Played a single game this season, in which he got less than 9 minutes of ice time. Green clearly had no confidence in him. No surprise that he's not sticking around.

Reactions: pomorick

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldy was at times a brilliant offensive talent, but could never overcome the brain-cramps in his own zone, which were egregious at the best of times. Even Utica-watchers commented how many times he coughed up the puck in his own, or made an ill-advised pass or committed an awful neutral zone turnover, despite being a dominant offensive player at the AHL-level.

Unfortunately that part of his game just never developed. Maybe it'll come in the KHL. But unless his defensive game improves by leaps and bounds, it won't be long before he's being scratched in that league as well.

It's too bad...Goldy was a likeable kid who desperately wanted to make it in the NHL, and unlike a lot of Russian players, didn't bolt to the KHL when things didn't go his way. But if he could have found a way to win a few more puck battles and make the safe, disciplined play in the defensive zone, there might have been a future for him here.

Reactions: UticaHockey

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Goldobin was one of those classic tweeners, that were OK in the top 6 but pretty useless in the bottom 6. This organization has always shoehorned players like Goldy into spots where they would be useless. Some players just will never be defensive stalwarts.

There's always an obsession to make every player a perfect 2-way player.

Do the Canucks still own his rights? Maybe we can at least get an asset back instead of just nothing (as Benning likes)

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Goldobin was one of those classic tweeners, that were OK in the top 6 but pretty useless in the bottom 6. This organization has always shoehorned players like Goldy into spots where they would be useless. Some players just will never be defensive stalwarts.

There's always an obsession to make every player a perfect 2-way player.

Do the Canucks still own his rights? Maybe we can at least get an asset back instead of just nothing (as Benning likes)

Yes, I am sure there is huge demand for him and that teams were just on holidays the day(s) he cleared waivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad