Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Goldobin was drafted the same year as Virtanen in 2014, albeit much later in the first round. It's amazing how the narrative on the two players has diverged, in terms of their development.

Nobody is advocating trading Virtanen now for bag of pucks; yet Goldy is supposedly on the first train to the Gulag. Where's the patience?
Ask Elmer that about McCann. Another 1st rounder that year and also picked after Jake.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Said this before, the only reason Goldobin was even a talking point this season is because despite not being very good, he was still the best option for the minutes that they were giving him. This is more about the team from a big picture rather than Goldobin specifically, he would've been out of the league much sooner had they been able to acquire better players than him, the fact that Benning has failed to accomplish this is a much bigger problem.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Said this before, the only reason Goldobin was even a talking point this season is because despite not being very good, he was still the best option for the minutes that they were giving him. This is more about the team from a big picture rather than Goldobin specifically, he would've been out of the league much sooner had they been able to acquire better players than him, the fact that Benning has failed to accomplish this is a much bigger problem.
Yeah pretty much the same about some of the blueliners on the team, excluding Stecher and Schenn, that Elmer has acquired.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
He wasn’t even earning $1M. I think he is fine for what the Canucks paid for him (in trade and cap money). Hansen did nothing and isn’t even in the league anymore so that was a small win. I hope they get him back because he’ll be cheap, meaning he’s low risk and, in my opinion, high reward if he can figure out his issues. If he fails next season then whatever.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Yeah pretty much the same about some of the blueliners on the team, excluding Stecher and Schenn, that Elmer has acquired.

I respect and agree with your opinion most of the time, but do you need to include the Elmer reference repeatedly? It seems unnecessarily inflammatory and in bad taste given that Elmer Benning just passed away 4 months ago. I dunno maybe it's just me.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I respect and agree with your opinion most of the time, but do you need to include the Elmer reference repeatedly? It seems unnecessarily inflammatory and in bad taste given that Elmer Benning just passed away 4 months ago. I dunno maybe it's just me.
I forgot that Benning’s fathers name was Elmer. You raise an good point; I’ll refrain from from doing it again. If I’m going to insult him, I’ll call him something else.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Giving Goldobin a chance does come at a cost though. All of that opportunity (roster spot, good line mates, PP time etc) could go to someone else. Even though we lack good young forward prospects in the organization, we should be looking at what other players can be acquired that might actually make something of the opportunity that Goldobin was given last year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
On the plus he tied Nylander in points making a scmill.

In all seriousness. You would think they are done after sitting him the entire last month. Dont mind him as depth or in short spurts but hes awfully one dimensional

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Not buying this. Goldobin played a lot with pettersson early in the season when pettersson was shooting a completely unsustainable 30% and racked up points. In the last 1/3 of the season pettersson was not playing with goldobin and he was also tired and wasn't the player he was in the first half of the season. I don't buy that his production declined because he wasn't with goldobin

So pretend the first half of this season Pettersson played mostly with Eriksson, Virtanen, Rousell, Leivo, Motte, Schaller instead of Goldobin. Do you think Pettersson production will still be the same regardless who his wingers are? If you think it's the same. Show me your argument?

Goldobin first half of this season actually led the Canucks in ( not sure what this stat) but its the percentage of passes you make that lead to shots. Good passes lead to good shots and that leads to points. No other wingers aside from Boeser. Can make some of those passes.

To me it's 100% obvious Goldobin is a better fit with Pettersson than any other wingers with the exception of Boeser.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I won't read too much into the fact that San Jose traded Goldobin. They also "dumped" Ehrhoff onto us. At the end of the day, the trade hasn't worked out as planned for either team although there is still some hope left that it will work out for the Canucks. Basically the trade came out to be Hansen for Goldobin + Gunnarsson + Palmu.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I won't read too much into the fact that San Jose traded Goldobin. They also "dumped" Ehrhoff onto us. At the end of the day, the trade hasn't worked out as planned for either team although there is still some hope left that it will work out for the Canucks. Basically the trade came out to be Hansen for Goldobin + Gunnarsson + Palmu.
Might want to read into the fact Ehrhoff was a camp dump not a ELC that wasnt working out as hoped and was expendible to improve their 3rd line going after a cup?

Big differences.

Recurring theme of Benning reclamations.

Small, Weak, Average to below avg skaters - Vey Granlund Baertschi Dahlen Goldobin.....same old story and cost us 4-5 2nd and 3rd rd picks. Benning shopping at swap meets trying to decorate a 5 star hotel.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Won the thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have no idea if Goldy will be back, but looking increasingly unlikely. Strikes me that almost all of Jimbo's first round reclamation projects have flopped....Goldobin only the latest.....you can add in the likes of Sutter, Gudbranson, Pouliot and even Baertschi who has been 'average' even when he's healthy.

And then there's the second and third rounders from other organization that he acquired....guys like Vey, Pedan, Clendening, Etem, Leipsic, Dahlen and even Motte. I can't decide if it's poor pro scouting or just whether Jimbo scouted these guys in junior and is still star gazing with the potential they showed in amateur ranks.

Is guess sooner or later the Canucks will actually 'hit' on one of these failed draft picks from other organizations. But until then they'll be a lot more Goldy's and Pouliots' unfortunately.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder what's holding up the Goldobin signing. Term? AAV? I suspect something along the lines of Virtanen's contract would get it done but maybe the Canucks don't want to offer that?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I wonder what's holding up the Goldobin signing. Term? AAV? I suspect something along the lines of Virtanen's contract would get it done but maybe the Canucks don't want to offer that?
They are sitting at a 24 roster size (14 F, 8 D, 2 G) without Goldobin or Boeser signed. Roussell will start on injured reserve but they'll still need to move out 2 players who were on the team last year. I think they're probably waiting to see how the Eriksson thing plays out and maybe there are a couple of trade options being discussed for him and others. There is no rush to sign Goldobin so they'll probably let things settle before working on his deal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If I was Goldobin, I wouldn't want anything to do with signing here.

The coach clearly didn't trust him and barely played him down the stretch last year, and that was before Miller and Ferland were acquired. Returning to this organization for another year would basically kill his career. He needs a fresh start somewhere else with a new coach.

I honestly have no idea why we gave him a QO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad