Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eriksson and gagner can be buried in the ahl if you want to just eat the cap hit and salary. Neither has a nmc. Eriksson is down to a full ntc for this year and next.

Gagner I could see them waiving if he has a poor pre season. Loui, it’s a tough contract to eat.

Loui got his $6 million signing bonus for the year already. Up to $22 millionnof his $36 now. If the Canucks sent him down would he even want to report or just say, hey I got $22 mill banked.

But don’t see benning and linden doing that.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Gaudette and Goldy boy are gonna force their way onto the team just you watch folks. If Coach Green and management still decide to demote Gaudette to the AHL after all the effort hes put in this offseason i can see him wanting out. Rightfully.

REGARDLESS i think thisll be the lineups on starting day:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Beagles Schaller
Granny Gaunce

Gagner TRADED
Clamato to Utica

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Goldobin has a chance to make it I think. That is if they have decided if they might want to keep him. I can't imagine that they wouldn't give him a fair chance to see what he could do, because he seemed like a young player worth the shot. Gaudette there is no chance and there is no place on the team at all.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gaudette and Goldy boy are gonna force their way onto the team just you watch folks. If Coach Green and management still decide to demote Gaudette to the AHL after all the effort hes put in this offseason i can see him wanting out. Rightfully.

IRREGARDLESS i think thisll be the lineups on starting day:

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Goldy Gaudette PBP
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Eriksson Beagles Schaller
Granny Gaunce

Gagner TRADED
Clamato to Utica

It's incredible how much junk has accumulated on our roster.

Even with dispatching Gagner and Motte you still forgot Roussel and were paying 6M for Eriksson to play on the fourth line.

Sad state of affairs.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Even with dispatching Gagner and Motte you still forgot Roussel and were paying 6M for Eriksson to play on the fourth line.

Sad state of affairs.
Dang, knew i was forgetting someone. Yeah your right Melvin, and Im being ridiculously optimistic in hoping for Gagner to be traded but somethings gotta give

To me makes sense to do a trade now, but really whose gonna trade for Gagner at that salary? And if you wait til training camp when he gets beat out by like 14 guys his value around the league will be even lower. Somethings gotta give, and just cant see Gagner improving over the summer to be considered a solid guy who should be in the opening lineup

Reactions: lindgren

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I don’t care as much who the support players are as long as Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Hughes are on the opening roster and are used as our core players.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Sad state of affairs.

Motte is on his ELC and doesn't require waivers.

Regardless of where Eriksson and Gagner end up, they still get paid. In fact, Loui has already been paid $6 million of the $7 million he's due to earn this season anyways.

Sending Gaudette down saves all of what $800K of Aquaman's money? The same Aquaman who is ok with front loading Beagle's and Rouser's contracts by an extra $2.2 million this coming year?

Eriksson doesn't have a NMC anymore, just a NTC. If he gets demoted and won't report, move to void the rest of his contract. That would actually help the franchise. He will have pocketed $22 million of Aquaman's money for his 2 seasons here. Only $14 million left to earn.

Hopefully both G&G can put up some good numbers in the pre-season and force management to do what they say and make the room for the kids. That's why they brought in those bottom 6 forwards to play the tough defensive minutes. Let the kids play the 2nd offensive unit.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Eriksson doesn't have a NMC anymore, just a NTC. If he gets demoted and won't report, move to void the rest of his contract. That would actually help the franchise. He will have pocketed $22 million of Aquaman's money for his 2 seasons here. Only $14 million left to earn.

$14M over 4 years is still a lot of money, this isn't like those other contracts where players are making $1M in their 40's after earning $10M at the start of the contract. It just hypothetical here but as Eriksson is still healthy and capable of playing a regular shift that would be pretty ugly fight to pick with the players for the team to try and force him into the minors with the hope that the player will void his contract. Also if you send him down and he does report then the team is still left on the hook paying a $5M cap hit (or whatever portion gets charged) to have a guy in the minors, and for the next 4 years at that.

Point is realistically we're stuck with Eriksson on the Canucks for the next 4 years. At best maybe you can pay to ditch him on other team in his final year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don’t care as much who the support players are as long as Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, and Hughes are on the opening roster and are used as our core players.
Yes, if they make it, those players will basically be the major reason for watching the Canucks this season, particularly if Demko sticks in goal.. But realistically Gaudette is a longshot without an outstanding training camp, and Hughes is 50/50 on signing or going back to college

But my gawd the Canucks have some awful contracts elsewhere in this lineup. Can't think of a single guy other than Virtanen, Stecher or Granlund who's remotely worth the money they're being paid.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
But my gawd the Canucks have some awful contracts elsewhere in this lineup. Can't think of a single guy other than Virtanen, Stecher or Granlund who's remotely worth the money they're being paid.

A stark contrast to the days of yore with Gillis and Gilman who made concerted efforts to have structure to the roster which players respected.

Recall the time where all our top-4 defenseman made 3.5 million because no one was to make more then Ohlund.

Now every player signing here knows he can take Benning to the cleaners. All the agent has to do is point at any one of the abhorrent contracts on the roster and Benning has no choice but to relent. Past negotiations influence future failures.

Tough luck taking a hard line stance on a player when all he has to do is point at the contracts you've given to Beagle, Rousell, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Sutter, Sbisa, Dorsett, Gagner and Nilsson.

Benning's gut feeling on the timing of offering extensions has proven to be erratic, too. Sutter was extended right after his acquisition - if he waited throughout his injury-plagued year it would've cost much less.

Hutton was extended to almost 3 million at the beginning of a big slump which has continued to the present day.

A lot of people forget this one. Chris Tanev could've been extended in 2014-15 for a long term contract for less then his current 4.5 million but Jim Benning had doubts on his ability and offered him a 1 yr/2 million "show me" contract and Tanev, well, showed him. Every Canuck fan at that point was well aware of Tanev's abilities. That extension is pointed to as one of Benning's few victories but an astute GM could've signed him for even less.

Excuse the essay. I tend to ramble when lambasting Dim Jim.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Last season should have been Goldobin's year. Should have been getting regular minutes every night from the start of October and learning and developing and building confidence.

Instead we dicked him around for the whole year, buried him behind veterans, gave him limited minutes when he was called up and immediately demoted or scratched him every time he made a mistake. Completely ruined his confidence and was a complete waste of a year. Only in the last dozen games of the season was he in the lineup getting solid minutes and knew he wasn't coming out and - surprise! - he played his best and most productive hockey of the season.

We should have left ourselves in a position where we knew what we had in this player and failed. And now it's going to be nearly impossible to find out given the mass of garbage we've filled our roster with. And even if we did find room on our roster, this coach would immediately destroy his confidence again with the same benching cycle as soon as he was trying to win games again. And I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the KHL by this time next year.

The difference between the meh coaches and the top coaches in this league is that the best guys (Babcock, Quenneville, Cooper) manage to develop guys by playing them and building confidence without sacrificing team performance. The meh coaches (like Green) might be good x-and-o guys but never truly succeed because they can't develop talent and default to playing veterans and short-term thinking, and without developing that talent and value on ELCs, you're limiting yourself to mediocrity.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Last season should have been Goldobin's year. Should have been getting regular minutes every night from the start of October and learning and developing and building confidence.

Instead we dicked him around for the whole year, buried him behind veterans, gave him limited minutes when he was called up and immediately demoted or scratched him every time he made a mistake. Completely ruined his confidence and was a complete waste of a year. Only in the last dozen games of the season was he in the lineup getting solid minutes and knew he wasn't coming out and - surprise! - he played his best and most productive hockey of the season.

We should have left ourselves in a position where we knew what we had in this player and failed. And now it's going to be nearly impossible to find out given the mass of garbage we've filled our roster with. And even if we did find room on our roster, this coach would immediately destroy his confidence again with the same benching cycle as soon as he was trying to win games again. And I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the KHL by this time next year.

The difference between the meh coaches and the top coaches in this league is that the best guys (Babcock, Quenneville, Cooper) manage to develop guys by playing them and building confidence without sacrificing team performance. The meh coaches (like Green) might be good x-and-o guys but never truly succeed because they can't develop talent and default to playing veterans and short-term thinking, and without developing that talent and value on ELCs, you're limiting yourself to mediocrity.

Ryan Miller got a certain amount of deserved praise for his public moment with Goldobin at the end of 16/17, encouraging him after practice. That moment was also a bad one for the coaching staff and even the rest of the leadership group, including the Sedins. Why did it take the veteran goalie to see that the guy was playing well and needed a boost?

I'm guessing that Goldobin will finish the year with another NHL team. In my optimistic moments I picture him doing well enough that it'll contribute to ownership finally moving on from this management group.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Goldobin strikes me as a guy that just needs to find the right line mate to break out. He likes to hold the puck and can convert pretty well if he gets a look. Hopefully with the Sedins gone there's some more experimentation with lines and I think that bodes well for him. A skilled center and a rugged winger would be winning formula but besides Bo there's not much flash down the middle of the ice.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Goldobin strikes me as a guy that just needs to find the right line mate to break out. He likes to hold the puck and can convert pretty well if he gets a look. Hopefully with the Sedins gone there's some more experimentation with lines and I think that bodes well for him. A skilled center and a rugged winger would be winning formula but besides Bo there's not much flash down the middle of the ice.

I'd like to see him get a good opportunity with Boeser and Horvat. Put Baertschi with Pettersson and Eriksson.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Goldobin is a good asset. He may blossom into a top six player or he may be in the AHL. Canucks system calls for defensive responsibility from forwards and Goldobin has lapses. Green may grit his teeth and accept some flaws if he needs offense? If Goldobin shows chemistry with the second line center that would help his case.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'd like to see him get a good opportunity with Boeser and Horvat. Put Baertschi with Pettersson and Eriksson.

It's unfortunate that there's not more creativity at the center ice position. I'm doubtful that Pettersson can make it as a center, at least early on in his career. That leaves him probably playing with some like Sutter. That might work out if the other winger can make plays. I think Eriksson could be the best line mater for Pettersson. Has a bit of skill and can also do some heavy lifting. Hate to say this but someone like Bonino would be great to have right now.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldobin has more talent in one finger than the parade of veterans Canucks have on nonsensical contracts.....Beagle, Roussel, Gagner, Sutter and Eriksson all do some things well, but individual talented scoring plays isn't one of them. But they'll start the season ahead of Goldobin because Benning and Linden would be embarrassed if they had bury any of them in the minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->