Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm cautiously optimistic for him. Won't be surprised to see him put up Baertschi-like numbers next season, also won't be surprised to see him leave the NHL.

He had a stretch near the end of the last season where he went 4-3-7 in 9 GP. He seems to have gained more confidence as the season went on.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think most players w new 4 yr deals tend to make the starting lineup.
Yeah i suppose Wo, somethings gotta give, hope it wont be the kids. Also where the hell to Granlund Gagner and Gaunce and even Clamato Electric fit in this lineup. wtf

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah i suppose Wo, somethings gotta give, hope it wont be the kids. Also where the hell to Granlund Gagner and Gaunce and even Clamato Electric fit in this lineup. wtf
Add up all the players who got new contracts. Assume Horvat, Boeser and Sutter are locks for the lineup. That leaves 3 spots on the forward lines available for Goldobin, Gagner, Eriksson, Gaunce and Lepisic. That's before any rookies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He gets lost on waivers. People say bad asset management. Other people say Hansen isnt even in the NHL anymore as some kind of backwards logic

Reactions: DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He gets lost on waivers. People say bad asset management. Other people say Hansen isnt even in the NHL anymore as some kind of backwards logic
He won’t get lost on waivers as teams that are better than us (every team) don’t want our scraps

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Well if he can’t beat out Leipsic and Granlund do we need him? Competition isn’t steep
Thats true, coach Green could also play favourites even if he had a good camp. I hope for the best for him. But say if he gets waived and claimed by another team, and were to bolt to Russia at seasons end; I wouldnt blame Benning for burying him then, just for acquiring him in the first place

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Thats true, coach Green could also play favourites even if he had a good camp. I hope for the best for him. But say if he gets waived and claimed by another team, and were to bolt to Russia at seasons end; I wouldnt blame Benning for burying him then, just for acquiring him in the first place
Hopefully Green doesn’t play favorites and Benning can admit he went after the wrong player! Either way, best of luck to the kid and I hope he makes it. Personally, I don’t think he is skilled enough to make up for his lack of intensity and attention to detail in his own end.

Reactions: sting101

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Hopefully Green doesn’t play favorites and Benning can admit he went after the wrong player! Either way, best of luck to the kid and I hope he makes it. Personally, I don’t think he is skilled enough to make up for his lack of intensity and attention to detail in his own end.

I think you're wrong, but at the same time I don't see how anyone could argue that your take is unreasonable. I just hope that Goldobin gets enough of an opportunity so that, one way or another, we get a definitive answer.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I think you're wrong, but at the same time I don't see how anyone could argue that your take is unreasonable. I just hope that Goldobin gets enough of an opportunity so that, one way or another, we get a definitive answer.

Good call. I'm pretty down on Goldobin's chances of a productive NHL career, but I'd like to see one more go.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Goldy might end up on waivers and Hansen has fled to the KHL...best of part of that deal was the Sharks fourth rounder, who was flipped to Chicago so they could draft Palmu.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
So Goldy might end up on waivers and Hansen has fled to the KHL...best of part of that deal was the Sharks fourth rounder, who was flipped to Chicago so they could draft Palmu.

This is why being active at the deadline for picks, any picks, is paramount in a rebuild.

Also, losing Goldoblin to waivers is ridiculous, even if he has a long shot of making the NHL permanently.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I will be really surprise if Goldobin goes on waivers.

I think these 4 Archibald Gaunce Boucher Motte will go on waivers.

Dahlen and Gaudette AHL.

Reactions: pomorick

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There are many examples out there but I look at a guy like Calle Jarnkrok in Nashville. Similar size and draft pedigree to Goldobin, except Nashville acquired him at the deadline a year later. So at age 22, same point Goldobin is now, they gave him a full time spot in the bottom 6 of their lineup. And he wasn't anything impressive, in that rookie season he scored 74-7-11-18. But the point is he was given that spot and an opportunity to learn, and for the past 3 seasons has solidified himself as a solid middle six player for Nashville.

In Vancouver under Benning's first few seasons Goldobin would have actually gotten that opportunity since the cap got botched enough that we were desperate for any have decent players. That's how Granlund and Baerstchi got in. But starting from last offseason as cap space free's up we've brought in so much junk that there's no longer room for these types of players. How things look now in order for Goldobin to make the pro roster he doesn't just have to match a number of guys like Granlund or Gagner, he has to be a step above him. So basically going back to my initial comparison you're asking 22 year old Goldobin to be as good as 25 year old Jarnkrok or he's going to get cut and likely lost to waivers. But that's putting the chicken before the egg here, Goldobin isn't likely to be there yet and probably needs a year to learn on the job.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There are many examples out there but I look at a guy like Calle Jarnkrok in Nashville. Similar size and draft pedigree to Goldobin, except Nashville acquired him at the deadline a year later. So at age 22, same point Goldobin is now, they gave him a full time spot in the bottom 6 of their lineup. And he wasn't anything impressive, in that rookie season he scored 74-7-11-18. But the point is he was given that spot and an opportunity to learn, and for the past 3 seasons has solidified himself as a solid middle six player for Nashville.

In Vancouver under Benning's first few seasons Goldobin would have actually gotten that opportunity since the cap got botched enough that we were desperate for any have decent players. That's how Granlund and Baerstchi got in. But starting from last offseason as cap space free's up we've brought in so much junk that there's no longer room for these types of players. How things look now in order for Goldobin to make the pro roster he doesn't just have to match a number of guys like Granlund or Gagner, he has to be a step above him. So basically going back to my initial comparison you're asking 22 year old Goldobin to be as good as 25 year old Jarnkrok or he's going to get cut and likely lost to waivers. But that's putting the chicken before the egg here, Goldobin isn't likely to be there yet and probably needs a year to learn on the job.

And we all know how great of an environment the Canucks are when it comes to their employees learning on the job.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yet Benning acquired guys like Motte and Leipsic. It's going to depend on the coach and the player. Hopefully Green gives Goldy a real solid chance to establish himself and Goldy does his part.

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015
Yet Benning acquired guys like Motte and Leipsic. It's going to depend on the coach and the player. Hopefully Green gives Goldy a real solid chance to establish himself and Goldy does his part.
Goldobin is a very young player who has accomplished a lot and showed elite skills at times. This off season has been his time to take the next step. He wants to succeed and I am sure he has worked his ass off in training. I hope we give him the opportunity to succeed if he deserves it!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Goldobin is a very young player who has accomplished a lot and showed elite skills at times. This off season has been his time to take the next step. He wants to succeed and I am sure he has worked his ass off in training. I hope we give him the opportunity to succeed if he deserves it!

I have high hopes as well. But ultimately it comes to his ability to play well enough defensively and produce offensively. The skill and talent is there. But this isn't his first rodeo. He's waiver eligible now so he needs to secure a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->