Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
You are right about Goldobin He does have 0 points in games Petey didn't play in but he does have 9 points in total without Petey on the goal.

He on was pace for 30 points last year. He definitely can get more than 20 points if he played with another center.

37 P might not be impressive but that is close to low end second line production. The other element to his game he is not a liability on the ice. The team is not getting outplayed when he is on the ice.

Yes Goldobin is getting a lot of points because of Petey. The thing is he does have the skill and hockey IQ to get those points with Petey. Why are we discrediting his point totals? You can't just plug anyone with Petey and expect the same results. Look at Virtanen, He had some stretches with Pettersson, he can't even get a secondary assist with him because he doesn't think the game at high a level like Goldobin. Playing with a Superstar, you don't get free points playing with them. You need to know where to go on ice and make quick decision with the puck. Pits before Kunitz they try a lot different wingers with Crosby a lot of them didn't worked out. The greatest hockey player of all time Gretzky retire early because he didn't have any wingers to play with.

Goldobin had 7 ppg. He has 23 P this year. Can tell a specific point like in what game he he got that you thought it was soft? Not all secondary assists are soft.

I am just not sold on him having all of this skill we hear about. He is a smallish player, and is Russian, and I think people make lots of assumptions from that about his skill level. The reality is that he has decent vision and can make passes when he has time and space. Not a great skater and his own agent suggested he change his stick pattern because he was handling the puck like it was a grenade. His shot is average at best.

I would love to see a video with all of his points this year but he has made some nice passes, especially early on, that did not result in points.

In terms of particular plays, and this is probably an unfair exercise, I always think of two plays where 77 got a second assist solely because of something brilliant EP did. The first was the bounce pass of the end boards that resulted in a Boeser goal and the second was the Gretzky like slapper in Detroit. On both those goals, 77 last touched the puck in his own end on one of those it essentially bounced off him. Again, it is not entirely to cherry pick like that but you asked for examples that came to mind and those are certainly 2 of them. Ultimately it is really his lack of high end skills that leads me to conclude he is not part of the solution more than particular points that are "soft". I would love to be wrong but can't see it.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
This article is worth reading.

Nikolay Goldobin and the Interminable Doghouse

I completely agree Goldobin is getting singled out way too much while others make mistakes or suck and never get singled out. He is the second best playmaker on the team.

Article is an entertaining read, and it is fun to see someone work so hard to defend what is ultimately a marginal player, but it is hard to take all the data seriously when it leaves out his rather embarrassing ES primary assist figures. If Goldobin really asked the coaching staff why they were picking on him, and I have not seen that verified elsewhere although it may well be, then he is pretty much done in this league.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Article is an entertaining read, and it is fun to see someone work so hard to defend what is ultimately a marginal player, but it is hard to take all the data seriously when it leaves out his rather embarrassing ES primary assist figures. If Goldobin really asked the coaching staff why they were picking on him, and I have not seen that verified elsewhere although it may well be, then he is pretty much done in this league.

Regardless what individual opinions people have on Goldy’s play, it really cannot be disputed that he is singled out by this coach more than any other player. The problem I have with that is there are a few other poor hockey players on this team that are mistake ridden over and over again and also lack intense efforts in their play but get to play game after game no matter how much they suck.

The optics really do not look good.

Same thing the way Virtanen is singled out. Yet he plays with a terrible center who has one assist on the season. Get your head around that. One assist.

Loui Eriksson is on pace for less points than last year. Gudbrandson is the worst defenceman in the NHL this year. Pouliot is AHL level. Granlund is invisible many nights and soft as hell.

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Regardless what individual opinions people have on Goldy’s play, it really cannot be disputed that he is singled out by this coach more than any other player. The problem I have with that is there are a few other poor hockey players on this team that are mistake ridden over and over again and also lack intense efforts in their play but get to play game after game no matter how much they suck.

Same thing the way Virtanen is singled out. Yet he plays with a terrible center who has one assist on the season. Get your head around that. One assist.

Loui Eriksson is on pace for less points than last year. Gudbrandson is the worst defenceman in the NHL this year. Pouliot is AHL level. Granlund is invisible many nights and soft as hell.

He may get singled out more but he's the forward with the worst defensive commitment and effort towards the game. In order to get better you got to raise the level of your worst players, sit them, or get rid of them. If our defence weren't so horrible more guys would get singled out there too.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Exactly. It is disappointing to see the treatment of Goldy/Virtanen/Gaudette/Gaunce/Biega vs. the treatment of Loui/Schaller/Gudbranson/Pouliot/Granlund. In both the eye test and the stats.

And doubly disappointing because other than Biega, it is the first group that has a potentially higher ceiling, and will still be in their prime when the core hits its prime.

Reactions: pomorick

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
let the freaken kid play and do his thing. we all know this team is a 1 trick, 2 trick pony at best. i see no reason in crushing this players career because he won't play the way travis green played hockey.

and don't get me started on virtanen playing with sutter. green is not giving players the best chance at success. it's infuriating. i'm probably in the wrong thread by now but his treatment of goldy and complete disregard for other terrible defensemen is a joke.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
He may get singled out more but he's the forward with the worst defensive commitment and effort towards the game. In order to get better you got to raise the level of your worst players, sit them, or get rid of them. If our defence weren't so horrible more guys would get singled out there too.

He is also the 2nd best playmaker on a team that has trouble scoring. You don't need every forward being a plumber that cant score and only focuses on defence. And seriously, would be be a big setback to the team if Tyler Motte or Markus Granlund took their turn sitting out a game?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks are in a tough situation. Coach currently doesn’t trust Goldy enough for him to be in the lineup. There isn’t a good trade market for him and if he gets sent down he’ll be claimed on waivers. Canucks have to make a decision here, either trade Goldobin for a 4th rounder (or prospect) and move on or play him and live with the growing pains hoping he’ll be a different player by the start of next season.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ferland’s value is low as it’s clear he’s not signing with the Canes (couldn’t come to terms on an extension); Canes have to trade him or lose him for nothing. If we give up Goldobin plus prospect for Ferland it will be for a rental unless Benning gives him a hefty contract, which he probably will, and we’ll be stuck with another player that can’t play close to the level of his salary.

Last edited:

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Reminds me of the whole Shirokov situation. Both Russian with decent offensive skill and fans wanting to give him all the opportunity in the world but almost no defensive awareness and constantly in the coaches doghouse. Get what you can for him and move on

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Disagree
5.5m is a decent cap hit for a 2nd line winger. We are in 2019 not 2009, the cap is getting a big raise in two years

He's the kind of player who is more likely to decline quickly. He's never been a playdriver. And his offensive success is largely dependent on playing next to superstar calibre players.

You can find complementary top-six players for a lot cheaper.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Disagree
5.5m is a decent cap hit for a 2nd line winger. We are in 2019 not 2009, the cap is getting a big raise in two years

He has only one year that he had over 41 points. 5.5 M that is on the high side. Also he will sign a long term contract. With the style he play? Chances are he will decline half way through his contract. I won't be surpise if he starts getting about 30 points in the next few years.

I am just guessing. Too lazy to do the research. Don't think any wingers makes more than 5.5 M that never had more than 41 points before

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
He has only one year that he had over 41 points. 5.5 M that is on the high side. Also he will sign a long term contract. With the style he play? Chances are he will decline half way through his contract. I won't be surpise if he starts getting about 30 points in the next few years.

I am just guessing. Too lazy to do the research. Don't think any wingers makes more than 5.5 M that never had more than 41 points before
Benning will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->