Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Nylander's first year is inflated due to the hold out. its 6.9M prorated

Ahh yeah that seems true, after the first two years he makes 6M per. 12M -> 9M -> 6, 6, 6, 6M according to capfriendly.

10M did seem quite crazy.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Personally, I wouldn't call Ehlers low IQ, but like I (sort of) said earlier, I also wouldn't expect him to show Connor McDavid type of vision and puck skills while playing Tanev's minutes. For a bit there Ehlers-Little-Laine looked a Stastny short of domination and even with Little they had a couple really nice passing plays in ... game 3? game 4? With Stastny they were able to keep that up for extended stretch, with Little it just never seems to go on consistently. That's not a dig on Little, I thought he was one of the last guys to blame for the Jets early exit, but he's not the player who will keep up with the likes of Ehlers/Laine offensively and off the rush.

I guess Ehlers hockey IQ is quite average. He can make a play that's absolute genius, or one that's totally moronic. Often in the same shift, or even during same rush :D However with E-S-L (either version), Ehlers rarely looked like low-IQ - occasionally he would make those moronic choices with the puck, but he would also do very nice passing plays with his linemates a lot. It kinda evens out. I don't think it's low-IQ, more like sometimes his vision doesn't keep up with his legs, but let's face it, if it always did, he'd be just a bit of top-end skill away from being a winger McDavid...

I think his body is way in front of his head on most plays -
Maybe call it "blinders" rather than IQ - I just think he hangs onto the puck too long and tends to cough it up before shooting / passing.
A lot of that could come from his minor hockey training - he's always had that crazy speed that was enough to blow by everyone - in other words, he did it on his own.
Need to be a better playmaker - especially if we are going to continue labeling him a line driver.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe call it "blinders" rather than IQ - I just think he hangs onto the puck too long and tends to cough it up before shooting / passing.
A lot of that could come from his minor hockey training - he's always had that crazy speed that was enough to blow by everyone - in other words, he did it on his own.
Need to be a better playmaker - especially if we are going to continue labeling him a line driver.
I've said it in the past, Ehlers shot/pass selection is his biggest weakness. Even if he makes the wrong choice he needs to make it quicker.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers told Danish news that if his leg heals quickly enough he plans on playing the world championship. He will get tested again in 3 weeks and that will determine the outcome.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ehlers told Danish news that if his leg heals quickly enough he plans on playing the world championship. He will get tested again in 3 weeks and that will determine the outcome.

Maybe he had a hairline fracture on his leg or fractured a hair on his leg :sarcasm:

Reactions: Channelcat

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agree
Hope they all get away from the rink and refocus later in the summer

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Article in danish

"I didnt say no to the world cup, I talked with the club and explained to them I wont play in the IIHF with a broken leg and they explained to me that I could play if the leg is okay during the next examination in 3 weeks time."

Reactions: DashingDane

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Doesn't shoot enough for a sniper. Not a good enough passer for a playmaker. Needs to drive the puck to the net more, and SHOOT WHEN YOU'RE IN THE SLOT!

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Best skater on the team. Can turn nothing into something, but...but then something into nothing again. Has had an off 14-calendar-months where he seems to have lost his finishing touch (both in shooting and playmaking) but has tremendous upside and I hope he can find that again. Still has a couple of years before he peaks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You can bet if Ehlers played with a broken leg--it was not a serious break or he wouldn't be able to play from the pain. Probably a very small hairline fracture, that they classify as a "broken leg."

If he's think of playing in the World Cup in 3 weeks for Denmark, it can't be that serious of a fracture. I say small hairline fracture, but I'm sure it's painful to some extent.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You can bet if Ehlers played with a broken leg--it was not a serious break or he wouldn't be able to play from the pain. Probably a very small hairline fracture, that they classify as a "broken leg."

If he's think of playing in the World Cup in 3 weeks for Denmark, it can't be that serious of a fracture. I say small hairline fracture, but I'm sure it's painful to some extent.

Think it was classified as a “fracture” which could certainly be a hairline fracture as far as I know. “Broken” is more of an actual break I believe.

Reactions: GNP

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Me too, but his dad it the head coach of the national team for the first time so I'm sure that plays into it. Personally hope he doesn't get ready.
I hope he goes and plays centre it would be great for him and the jets to see.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I hope he goes and plays centre it would be great for him and the jets to see.
He is absolutely nothing like an NHL caliber center. He doesn’t have the hockey IQ, the playmaking skills, the strength or the experience of playing the center position. There’s absolutely no chance that he could be a successful NHL caliber center.

But I would like him to start showing more with the great talent he has as a winger. Unfortunately so far he hasn’t shown good enough hockey IQ or vision to use his magnificent skating and pretty good hands in a truly and constantly impressive way. Hopefully he would have it still in him though. But honestly I’m not convinced if he will after all have it in him - at least while playing under Maurice and his stupid constant dump and chase - grinder hockey.

I would love to see Ehlers with a clearly more developed hockey IQ, as it would make him immediately a completely different level player than he has been so far, and it would also immensely help the Jets become right away a much better team. But does he really have it in him after all?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He is absolutely nothing like an NHL caliber center. He doesn’t have the hockey IQ, the playmaking skills, the strength or the experience of playing the center position. There’s absolutely no chance that he could be a successful NHL caliber center.

But I would like him to start showing more with the great talent he has as a winger. Unfortunately so far he hasn’t shown good enough hockey IQ or vision to use his magnificent skating and pretty good hands in a truly and constantly impressive way. Hopefully he would have it still in him though. But honestly I’m not convinced if he will after all have it in him - at least while playing under Maurice and his stupid constant dump and chase - grinder hockey.

I would love to see Ehlers with a clearly more developed hockey IQ, as it would make him immediately a completely different level player than he has been so far, and it would also immensely help the Jets become right away a much better team. But does he really have it in him after all?

Funny how you were missing all season in this thread when Ehlers was playing well and dominating on that top line in Nov-Dec. But as soon as he had couple of rough games including one where he literally played with a fracture you are back with the same old litigations from last year against him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Funny how you were missing all season in this thread when Ehlers was playing well and dominating on that top line in Nov-Dec. But as soon as he had couple of rough games including one where he literally played with a fracture you are back with the same old litigations from last year against him.
Funny how ppl pick favorites and nothing another player does changes that. If Connor goes on a tear ppl will still argue Ehlers is better and vis versa there is no updating opinions around here. Ppl will still make the same arguments.
Like ppl will say Ehlers had a better playoffs than Connor or if Ehlers had the same oppertunities it would have been better. There is no objectivity to it and arguing otherwise for the most part is silly.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Nope, you are absolutely wrong. I was in fact saying that he seems like a quite good fit to play with Scheifele and Wheeler, if those two have to be always glued to each others. I wasn’t without commenting on it although you want to now make it seem like that with your agenda.

But still, because of the obvious lack of hockey IQ, I can’t be a real fan of Ehlers, as that ability is so much more important than any other ability in hockey.

It doesn’t mean though that I haven’t acknowledged it when he has clearly played better. Unfortunately it hasn’t happened for a pretty darn long time. And his bad play was way too often happening already way before he had any fracture in his leg.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As Murat pointed out in his article today about who stays and goes this offseason, Ehlers had better G/60 and P/60 production that Connor at 5v5 this year, despite Connor playing on the top line the majority of the time. And this was widely considered a disappointing year for Ehlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad