Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep he looks like a 60 point guy as is Little. Laine and Connor are looking like 80 + point guys and we live in a cap world.
Would love to keep everyone. Would love to do everything to keep best of.

You can keep them all if you utilize your cap space properly.

That means no more 5.5 million dollar players on the bottom pairing. No more 4 million dollar players on the fourth line. Use your prospects on ELC deals instead of paying 2 million for depth guys.

Reactions: Peggy and Mbraunm

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ehlers would probably be close to PPG if he was playing on PP1. I'd rather have Nik in his 20s at 6mill than Blake in his mid-30s at 8+. Chev was swayed by the personal side... bad call.
You are right but what's done is done and Wheeler is unmovable.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Is Ehlers the most underrated Jets forward?

I've noticed the lines he plays in often have very good corsi. He leads the team in %CF and taking both this season and the last into account for a larger sample size, only Lowry gets ahead of him. In 5v5 scoring he's behind only Wheeler, while playing 100+ minutes less (this and last season combined).

I remember Maurice talking about the improvements in his 2-way game last season, but I don't think a large portion of the fanbase really got that memo. I feel like busy looking players are constantly overrated on the forum. Ehlers isn't particularly busy looking, especially for a somewhat small and really fast forward. I gotta admit digging through these stats on Naturalstattrick I don't really understand even half of them, but the numbers seem good for Ehlers.

I hope he gets to stay on that 1st line for an extended period.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I've noticed the lines he plays in often have very good corsi. He leads the team in %CF and taking both this season and the last into account for a larger sample size, only Lowry gets ahead of him. In 5v5 scoring he's behind only Wheeler, while playing 100+ minutes less (this and last season combined).

I remember Maurice talking about the improvements in his 2-way game last season, but I don't think a large portion of the fanbase really got that memo. I feel like busy looking players are constantly overrated on the forum. Ehlers isn't particularly busy looking, especially for a somewhat small and really fast forward. I gotta admit digging through these stats on Naturalstattrick I don't really understand even half of them, but the numbers seem good for Ehlers.

Agreed... after a mediocre start, he has been great lately. He took the opportunity to play on that top line by the horns and has earned that spot. The criticism directed at him should stop and move on to other players. He is doing less end to end rushes this season and I can't help but think that's part of the reason why he is getting less appreciation this season.

Reactions: Tommigun

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I agree - I think if he stays with Scheif-Wheeler for a while, that line will become awesome (like it was a couple years ago)
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine would also be fun, but Wheeler seems to be stapled to Scheif these days

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Another great set of games for Nikolaj. Even when he is not putting up points he finds a way to contribute. He does not get enough appreciation. Also has a great attitude and seems to love being a Jet. The way he rips through the neutral zone like a knife going through butter is a thing of beauty. We are lucky to have him on that contract long term, compared to Nylander he gave us 1 more UFA year than Willie did to the Leafs and signed for almost a million less.

Please never take him off that top line again, Maurice.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've been hugely impressed with Ehlers the last 20 games or so. Ever since he was put on that 1st line, his confidence is back up, and he's starting to look like the dominant player I know he can be. Apparently he he has around 20 points over his last 20 games.

I think Nik can be an 80 point per year player for us -- I have no doubt, but he has to have his confidence up to do that. He's got the whole game -- blazing speed, good playmaker, a hard accurate shot, and can make great offensive zone entries. It also looks like he's finishing a lot better now, and shooting more.

I think we have a "huge winner" in Ehlers for $ 6 mil per year- he's definitely my favorite Jet, and the most entertaining to watch. I can see the day when he'll score 100 points -- he's only 22 right now, and will get a lot better yet. Way to go Nik :thumbu:

Note -Nik also has one of the best team attitudes, and loves playing in Winnipeg.:)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Some people would prefer to see Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler, but I prefer Ehlers on this line because of his zone entry (and exit) abilities. Wheels is the setup guy. Scheif can be a trigger man or a setup man. Ehlers drives possession. If you put Laine in his place, I'm certain you won't have as many clean entries or offensive zone time...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Oh look who's on pace for only 58 points - it's 3rd line plug Nik Ehlers! :sarcasm:

I don't know if your being sarcastic Gmoney, but I think Ehlers will prove you quite wrong. He'll likely get around 65 -70 points this year -maybe more.:nod:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
"Burmistrov 2.0" they said...
giphy.gif

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Update: now on pace for 63 points and 35 goals. Those would both be career highs, but if he stays on the 1st line that might be a low projection. 18 points (11g, 7a) in his last 15 games (that's a 98 point pace).

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
"Burmistrov 2.0" they said...

Wow, imagine that, comparing young Mr. Ehlers to Burmi the bum, who would have done such a thing?

Ehlers playing some great hockey, in the Mo post game he mentioned Ehlers was "back to" working extremely hard like he did his first couple years in the league, Ehlers is getting rewarded for his hard play now, weird though that a player wouldn't think he would have to in his first month and a half of the season.

PS Ehlers buddy Laine could learn a thing or two from him, Laine has become the great floater the past couple weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->