Nikolaj Ehlers vs William Nylander

• Nikolaj Ehlers

• William Nylander

Results are only viewable after voting.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
His most recent games as a leaf were at center. What do you mean by this exactly? He's clearly capable of playing the position

He has played very limited minutes at center, and hasn’t done great in them, although the sample is probably too small to be conclusive.

If Maple Leafs fans want to use the (valid) argument that Draisaitl doesn’t excel at center when debating Draisaitl Vs. Matthews, you have to be consistent and acknowledge that Nylander hasn’t done a damn thing at the NHL level playing center. The fact that he was drafted as a center has no bearing on who the better player is today.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Maybe the question should be which one of them have you seen go to the net in the playoff? :sarcasm:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He has played very limited minutes at center, and hasn’t done great in them, although the sample is probably too small to be conclusive.

If Maple Leafs fans want to use the (valid) argument that Draisaitl doesn’t excel at center when debating Draisaitl Vs. Matthews, you have to be consistent and acknowledge that Nylander hasn’t done a damn thing at the NHL level playing center. The fact that he was drafted as a center has no bearing on who the better player is today.
What was wrong with Nylander at center in the playoffs? I'd agree it's not enough to say he's a proven center, but he was good enough to demonstrate that writing him off entirely isn't right either

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What was wrong with Nylander at center in the playoffs? I'd agree it's not enough to say he's a proven center, but he was good enough to demonstrate that writing him off entirely isn't right either

He did alright given the circumstances and maintained that positive 5-on-5 actual goal differential that you know how much I love. ;) But at the end of the day, he scored only 3 points in 7 games (with the one goal coming earlier in the series at wing), and his regular season performances at center haven’t been great. Not bad, but not great.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Very close right now, I think Willy has the higher ceiling, I guess time will tell, but he’s got my vote

**I hate that I’m a leafs fan commenting just because of how biased it makes me sound...

I think it’s a fair take, tho. I think Nylander has a better IQ and Ehlers is more physically talented. Nylander has a history of playing soft but as he gets older that can (but not for certain) change as he matures physically. I’d take Ehlers on my team for one year, but wouldn’t trade Nylander for Ehlers IRL.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Lol! Five game sample size.
Now how about a discussion of Neal or Matttews for the Rocket?

It’s probably in reference to the strangely timed bump.

For someone to bump a thread 5 games into the season when both are performing at the same pace just to say “AINEC” is kinda weird. Especially considering these two are very comparable throughout their careers so far.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s probably in reference to the strangely timed bump.

For someone to bump a thread 5 games into the season when both are performing at the same pace just to say “AINEC” is kinda weird. Especially considering these two are very comparable throughout their careers so far.
I agree it’s close but Ehlers numbers are better than Nylanders throughout their careers to date.

Reactions: Snowman

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
These guys will always be close.
Ehlers plays a more bold game breaking style but Nylander seems more precise in his skill set.
Pretty even in impact overall.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was about to make a joke about the yearly Ehlers v Nylander thread, only to see it being a bump from a few months ago. :laugh:

What a strange bump. They have and will continue to be extremely close to each other. I homer voted for the guy I like more back then, but there should have been a "tie" option lol.

Reactions: Fire Chevy

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The comparison aside, there are so many people who will be eating crow due their stupidly hot takes on Nylander. Especially after last season
Not really. Many Leaf fans gave Nylander a complete pass for last season because he missed training camp and part of the season. We’ve just seen Braydon Point miss training camp and come in with three points in his first game. The myth that Nylander’s last season’s poor play should be ignored does not stand up to scrutiny.

Reactions: Snowman

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are they?

Nylander at .68 PPG, Ehlers .67. Again, pretty identical, but the slightest edge to Nylander in terms of production.
Ok now run the numbers after their rookie seasons. All this shows is that Ehlers was a slower starter than Nylander. That has no bearing on where the players are now. Ehlers has had better numbers since their rookie years.
As I said I think both are close but one guy plays with Auston Matthews and the other guy puts up slightly more points or even if you include their rookie years they are basically equal.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Not really. Many Leaf fans gave Nylander a complete pass for last season because he missed training camp and part of the season. We’ve just seen Braydon Point miss training camp and come in with three points in his first game. The myth that Nylander’s last season’s poor play should be ignored does not stand up to scrutiny.

Not saying I disagree with you, but Point missed 3 regular season games, Nylander started playing at the beginning of December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad