Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Nik matching Laine (on the opposite wing) in the TSN's Definitive Guide:

Nik Ehlers has improved each season in his young career, and as he focuses more on shooting it’s opened up more space for his passes in the offensive zone to be of higher quality. As a result, Ehlers generated a ton of scoring chances for his teammates last season, effectively carrying the play of the second line.
No one made as many successful plays in transition on the left wing as Ehlers did last season, and his specialty is entering the offensive zone with possession. The only thing that dragged him down a little bit was a low pass success rate relative to teammates, but his puck carrying more than makes up for it.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Nik matching Laine (on the opposite wing) in the TSN's Definitive Guide:

Nik Ehlers has improved each season in his young career, and as he focuses more on shooting it’s opened up more space for his passes in the offensive zone to be of higher quality. As a result, Ehlers generated a ton of scoring chances for his teammates last season, effectively carrying the play of the second line.
No one made as many successful plays in transition on the left wing as Ehlers did last season, and his specialty is entering the offensive zone with possession. The only thing that dragged him down a little bit was a low pass success rate relative to teammates, but his puck carrying more than makes up for it.

They lie! He is definitely a 4th liner :huh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers though should be playing 18+mins a game , in other teams.

But thats not going to hapoen with the Jets stack line up.

But still him in the 4th line is a head scratcher for the GAME 1 of the year.

Best neutral penetrating left wing in the league. Top 10 left wing.
If he can just clean some of his passes after going in the blue line he will be lock top 5 in the future as it will result in more points.
But not many players at his age can say i produced back to back 60 points.
Top 100 players in the league.

I understand maybe throughout the season you slide him down the line. As POMO uses him and Perrault as his pinball machine.

First game of the year.
JETS BEST LEFT WINGER
JETS 4TH BEST FORWARD

Is down in the bottom line with 2 rookies.

But lets see the bright side.
He will carry his own line now.

Hope they smoke who ever they are match up with!

Go EHLERS
go Roslo and Vesa

The REV line... broom broom !!!!!

GO JETS GO

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers though should be playing 18+mins a game , in other teams.

But thats not going to hapoen with the Jets stack line up.

But still him in the 4th line is a head scratcher for the GAME 1 of the year.

Best neutral penetrating left wing in the league. Top 10 left wing.
If he can just clean some of his passes after going in the blue line he will be lock top 5 in the future as it will result in more points.
But not many players at his age can say i produced back to back 60 points.
Top 100 players in the league.

I understand maybe throughout the season you slide him down the line. As POMO uses him and Perrault as his pinball machine.

First game of the year.
JETS BEST LEFT WINGER
JETS 4TH BEST FORWARD

Is down in the bottom line with 2 rookies.

But lets see the bright side.
He will carry his own line now.

Hope they smoke who ever they are match up with!

Go EHLERS
go Roslo and Vesa

The REV line... broom broom !!!!!

GO JETS GO
IMO it is best not to think of Ehlers as a 4th line player, but rather the 1st attempts to develop Ehlers and Rosie as an effective Duo. IMO they have skill sets that mix very well. Playing lower down the line up allows them more time and space to produce. I think eventually you see them in the top 6 with Laine on the other wing.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Hell of way to repay him for the sweetheart deal he signed...

You think the Jets are paying Ehlers $6 million a year just to bury him on the 4th line? He will be getting his usual ~15-16 minutes a night in a couple of weeks one way or the other.

Reactions: GNP

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
You think the Jets are paying Ehlers $6 million a year just to bury him on the 4th line? He will be getting his usual ~15-16 minutes a night in a couple of weeks one way or the other.

We will see. Considering his TOI has been lowered every season I don't have much faith in that being the case... I think he should be playing 16+ min but I hope you are right and he gets at least 15-16 min.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
IMO it is best not to think of Ehlers as a 4th line player, but rather the 1st attempts to develop Ehlers and Rosie as an effective Duo. IMO they have skill sets that mix very well. Playing lower down the line up allows them more time and space to produce. I think eventually you see them in the top 6 with Laine on the other wing.

They will be.

Skills and pedigree they are not 4th line.
Ehlers production is his 1st line.

But i will call them 4th line if their minutes falls below 12 minutes a game. :popcorn:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I get it for the first game or two. Nik can drive a line so you shelter a rookie centre and a rookie with him on the 4th line until everyone gets their feet wet. Not like Nik is out their with Thor is is out there with two extremely talented young players. Remember last year one of the things that turned our season around is when Matty P played on the 4th line and our bottom 6 started crushing the opposing teams.

Reactions: behemolari and GNP

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
It's Paul Maurice tactics to generate four competitive scoring lines, it will pay later when season gets older/ injuries comes. Sorry for Ehlers, but someone has to do that job and raise fourth line standards.

You can't break 1st or 3rd line as they are proven to work, who else would you demote from 2nd?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It's Paul Maurice tactics to generate four competitive scoring lines, it will pay later when season gets older/ injuries comes. Sorry for Ehlers, but someone has to do that job and raise fourth line standards.

You can't break 1st or 3rd line as they are proven to work, who else would you demote from 2nd?
It just always seems to ve Ehlers that gets the shuffle or demotion. Think it gets old after a few times.

PoMo just does not value Ehlers as much as other players.

I really feel for the kid.

Ares

May 8, 2018
It's probably not going to be affordable in a long run to pay 6mil for a 4th line 10 min guy.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I am just sick of PoMo using Ehlers as a “team slut”. 10 minutes of ice time, no pp.

I dont buy anything of the “learn to play with Roslovic” thing. This was the first game of the season though, and lot of stuff can happen, especially in Maurice’s blender and maybe this 4th line experience is just a fluky crazy idea Maurice god overnight. He MUST be furious right now Ehlers - and frustrated. This was NOT what he signed up for. I am sure though, that Maurice have spoken a lot with Ehlers why he is doing this. Ehlers’ versatility is right now his bad luck, because he and Frenchy are the blender guys.

The most unfortunate thing is that forcing a trade, probably would sendt him to a rebuild team in the other conference - like the Sens. That is not fun either.

Well, Maurice will not play him in the fourth line forever. Pretty expensive to have a 6M guy running around with no ice time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->