Nikolai Zherdev to CSKA-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
As I already posted it a couple of times, Zherdev is on a slump since December 2002 when he did not manage to have regular shifts on Russian Team at the World Junior while he was expected by most of the observers to be the leader of this team. After having scored 10 goals in RSL from September to mid-December, he managed to score only 2 after the World Junior.

He was ranked the highest prospect by most observers untill December. He finally went fourth.

He has great skills, an extraordinary talent. But something is not going well. Tikhonov loves him, he gave him lot of ice time last year. So, don't look to Tikhonov's fault for the present situation.

I like natural skilled players. I like Zherdev. But I would worry if I would be in Columbus organization. A prospect who barely scored 2 goals after a third of the games played in RSL and who is sent in a league considered as the third level in Russia, will unlikely score a lot of goals in NHL next year unless he makes the corrections needed.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
This makes no sense, I though the BJ's wanted him on their top scoring line...isn't that true? What makes you think that he'd score here, if you cant score in the Super League?

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Fedz said:
This makes no sense, I though the BJ's wanted him on their top scoring line...isn't that true? What makes you think that he'd score here, if you cant score in the Super League?

Where did you get that idea?

nucks2001

Fedz said:

a.) Zherdev was playing with men in the Super League.. not boys like what happens in the CHL

b.) The Super League is a far more tight checking league. Not to mention 2nd assists are rarer

All that being said Ilia Krikunov is sure doing well :bow:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
It's much harder to score in the RSL than the NHL. Check this out from Russianprospects.com

-Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Nikolai Zherdev suffered a mild case of food poising earlier this week, and did not have a chance to rejoin the squad practices in time to make the linemup that faced Lokomotiv in a 6:2 losing effort. Instead he skated for the club's junior farm team CSKA 2.-

I wonder was he really sent down, or did he just play as like a rehab assignment.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Buffaloed said:
Perhaps Zherdev is disgruntled because he wasn't allowed to come over to North America.

Why WASN'T he allowed to comeover?

I remember reading something here about the IIHF, Blue Jackets Organization, and the Russian Superleague making a bit stink over this issue.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:

I remember reading something here about the IIHF, Blue Jackets Organization, and the Russian Superleague making a bit stink over this issue.

The CBJ payed the transfer fee (100grand) on time, and asked that zherdev be released. CSKA made a bid deal out of it, saying Zherdev was in the army, or that they couldnt find his paper work... yadda yadda yadda...

anyways, The CBJ dont want to piss of CSKA because we have 3 or4 other prospects playing on that team(including moyzakin, leading the RSL in goals(at least he was)). So the CBJ asked the NHL to step in and take over negotiations. That was a month or so ago. Nothing has been heard since.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ironchef Chris Wok said:

You'll have to ask the RSL. Looks like some petty political game with Zherdev caught in the middle. Zherdev's signing met all the requirements of the IIHF transfer agreement and he should have been allowed to play for Columbus.

According to the IIHF:
When Russia and CSKA Moscow's 19-year old forward Nikolai Zherdev signed a multi-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday, August 15, he became the 185th and last IIHF player to sign a NHL contract under the three-year IIHF-NHL-NHLPA agreement, which expires this season.

I think anyone in the same situation would be disgruntled.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Last summer, it was reported few times in Russians newspapers that Zherdev and his agent Sasha Tyjnych both prefered that Zherdev stay one more year in RSL.

For those who can read russian, here is one of these reports from Sport Express Newspaper, an interview with Tyjnych June 18th: http://www.hock.ru/0203/p/0/313.htm

The newspaper Gazeta.ru also reported tehse words from Zherdev'S agent ( in russian): Однако, опровергая это утверждение, Александр Тыжных сообщил, что решение Жердева добровольное и осознанное. Чемпион мира среди молодежи-2003 считает, что ему по силам играть в НХЛ, однако хочет еще один сезон провести в таком сильном клубе, как ЦСКА, и претендовать на место в сборной России. //«Газета.Ru»

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
paul99 said:
Last summer, it was reported few times in Russians newspapers that Zherdev and his agent Sasha Tyjnych both prefered that Zherdev stay one more year in RSL.

For those who can read russian, here is one of these reports from Sport Express Newspaper, an interview with Tyjnych June 18th: http://www.hock.ru/0203/p/0/313.htm

The newspaper Gazeta.ru also reported tehse words from Zherdev'S agent ( in russian): Однако, опровергая это утверждение, Александр Тыжных сообщил, что решение Жердева добровольное и осознанное. Чемпион мира среди молодежи-2003 считает, что ему по силам играть в НХЛ, однако хочет еще один сезон провести в таком сильном клубе, как ЦСКА, и претендовать на место в сборной России. //«Газета.Ru»

He also said that at the Entry Draft he had hopes of playing in Columbus. He's said prettymuch everything in either direction, but the fact of the matter is Columbus should have him in the lineup.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Another interesting note is that when HF talked to Zherdev at the draft, Zherdev had said that, and I quote him...

When asked:

Do you have any military obligations you still need to fulfill?

He responded...

We already made a deal with the Red Army club that if I want to leave for the NHL this season, they are not going to prevent me from doing so.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
paul99 said:

Either he changed his mind, or it was a negotiating ploy. There's no other way to explain his signing with Columbus on August 15th, the deadline for the IIHF transfer agreement.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ejh18 said:
The CBJ payed the transfer fee (100grand) on time, and asked that zherdev be released. CSKA made a bid deal out of it, saying Zherdev was in the army, or that they couldnt find his paper work... yadda yadda yadda...

I've seen claims on other boards that he was inducted into the army, but nothing in the way of confirmation. It sounds a lot like the Svitov case.

Eluding army can be tough

Del Griffith

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
paul99 said:
Однако, опровергая это утверждение, Александр Тыжных сообщил, что решение Жердева добровольное и осознанное. Чемпион мира среди молодежи-2003 считает, что ему по силам играть в НХЛ, однако хочет еще один сезон провести в таком сильном клубе, как ЦСКА, и претендовать на место в сборной России. //«Газета.Ru»

Damn .... he sounds pissed.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Del Griffith said:
Damn .... he sounds pissed.

Who sounds pissed? Anyways here the translation:

However, refuting this assertion, Alexander Tyzhnykh reported, that Zherdev's decision is free-will and deliberate. WJ champion 2003 thinks that he would be capable to play in NHL, but he wants to spend one more season in such strong club as CSKA and to aspire to the spot in the national team //«Gazeta.Ru»

Del Griffith

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Slay said:
Who sounds pissed? Anyways here the translation:

However, refuting this assertion, Alexander Tyzhnykh reported, that Zherdev's decision is free-will and deliberate. WJ champion 2003 thinks that he would be capable to play in NHL, but he wants to spend one more season in such strong club as CSKA and to aspire to the spot in the national team //«Gazeta.Ru»

Dude, your Sarcasm Indentifier is malfunctioning .... my comment was intended to be humorous because I - and presumably many people on this board - don't speak a lick of Russian. Thanks for the translation, though.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Del Griffith said:
Dude, your Sarcasm Indentifier is malfunctioning .... my comment was intended to be humorous because I - and presumably many people on this board - don't speak a lick of Russian. Thanks for the translation, though.

Yeah okay. But since that there is Babelfish and Co - "super duper translators from Russian to English" :), I presumed that you have translated it using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->