Nikolai Zherdev arbitration hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
This arbitration hearing doesn't make sense to me. He is apparently (according to a article I read) from Kiev in the Ukraine, which is a differant country than Russia.How on earth could he then have military obligations to the RUSSIAN army if he is an Ukrainian citizen? :dunno:

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
TK79 said:
This arbitration hearing doesn't make sense to me. He is apparently (according to a article I read) from Kiev in the Ukraine, which is a differant country than Russia.How on earth could he then have military obligations to the RUSSIAN army if he is an Ukrainian citizen? :dunno:

I think because Ukraine was part of the USSR when he was born. Either that or it is because he holds a Russian passport/citizenship

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think military obligations have anything to do with it, but rather contractual agreements.

Sergei Berezin also plays for CSKA, but that guy sure as hell wouldn't join the army.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
I don't think military obligations have anything to do with it, but rather contractual agreements.

Sergei Berezin also plays for CSKA, but that guy sure as hell wouldn't join the army.
Awsome avatar!

vega007

He was born in part of Russia. Just because his country broke away doesn't mean he's no longer Russian!

Imagine if you were born in Texas and when you were ten Texas broke away from the USA.....you would still be an American, because you were born in the US!

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
vega007 said:
He was born in part of Russia. Just because his country broke away doesn't mean he's no longer Russian!

Imagine if you were born in Texas and when you were ten Texas broke away from the USA.....you would still be an American, because you were born in the US!
If you were 10 when Texas broke away from the USA, would you have military obligations to the USA?

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
vega007 said:

Part of Russia broke away? I didn't know Zherdev was born in Chechnya.

Zherdev is from Ukraine. Russia, Ukraine, Belorus (where Salei is from), Kazakhstan (where Antropov & Nabokov are from), etc. were parts of Soviet Union. They became independent after the Soviet Union fell apart. All these countries have their own language, history and cultural tradition.

To sum it up: Ukaine was NOT a part of Russia. Unless you are taking about a hundred years ago, when it was a part of the Russian Empire.

Also, what is your definition of "Russian"? Somebody who is ethnically Russian or somebody who is a Russian citizen? Because if we are talking heritage, we could be referring to Kovalchuk and Kariya as “Ilya Kovalchuk of Mongolia†and "Paul Kariya of Japan." This is a matter of passport, not blood. Don’t confuse the two.

skariya18

Sep 10, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
www.hockeydirect.net
Sundried TOmato said:

Zherdev is from Ukraine. Russia, Ukraine, Belorus (where Salei is from), Kazakhstan (where Antropov & Nabokov are from), etc. were parts of Soviet Union. They became independent after the Soviet Union fell apart. All these countries have their own language, history and cultural tradition.

To sum it up: Ukaine was NOT a part of Russia. Unless you are taking about a hundred years ago, when it was a part of the Russian Empire.

Also, what is your definition of "Russian"? Somebody who is ethnically Russian or somebody who is a Russian citizen? Because if we are talking heritage, we could be referring to Kovalchuk and Kariya as “Ilya Kovalchuk of Mongolia†and "Paul Kariya of Japan." This is a matter of passport, not blood. Don’t confuse the two.

If that's the case, there are no American players, because we're all from Europe.
w00t! I call Italy!

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
Sundried TOmato said:

zherdev is both, russian citizen and ethnically russian. In his last interview he said he always wanted to play for Russia that's why he decided to move to Moscow when he was 13 or 14 ...

Russia, Belarus and Ukraine (at least the east part of the ukraine) are NOT completely different conutries, people there speak the same language, have the same traditions and ONE history etc. I don't want to say Belarus or Ukraine have no history, but the history of Russia IS the history of these three countries, because Ukraine and Belorussia never existed as independent states before. It was always ONE country, although Ukranian always wanted to be independent from Moscow.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
skariya18 said:
If that's the case, there are no American players, because we're all from Europe.
w00t! I call Italy!
Just out of curiosity: are you a product of the US or Canadian school system? Thanks.

Btw, you are providing an argument in support of TOmato's point about ethnicity vs. citizenship - not an argument against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad