Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Prokhorkin Signs One-Year Entry-Level Contract with LA Kings

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
last season was his 1st in the AHL and he didnt exactly set the world on fire..
Grundstrom - has done squat to earn any top 6 time, last season was his first season in the AHL and starting there wouldnt hurt him in any way..
He scored at a 20 goal pace in his NHL debut. That's not squat.

He's played 83 AHL games spanning 3 seasons.

I'd rather have him in the lineup than Iafallo or Lewis.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
NHL goal scoring pace over a full season in 2018-2019

Grundstrom 27 goals
Luff 20 goals
Wagner 16 goals

I'll take Grundstrom.

You do realize the amount of ice time Grundstrom received over those two right..
Grundstrom 14+min
Luff 8+ min
Wagner 11+ min

Luff had what 8 goals in like +/- 20 game span then got dumped back to Ontario, had he stayed who knows were he ends up.. same with Wagner and i'd even include Amadio in this..
I'd bet if Luff gets those 14+min. he easily outscores Grundstrom ... Wagner also got a huge jump in minutes towards the end of the season and contributed 8 pts in 14 games...

I'll take the greater sample in Luff and Wagner

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He scored at a 20 goal pace in his NHL debut. That's not squat.

He's played 83 AHL games spanning 3 seasons.

I'd rather have him in the lineup than Iafallo or Lewis.

That's a given bu they're not getting traded anytime soon or should i say soon enough.. Also, dont forget the flack people got for saying Iafallo is tradeable...
As for the 20 goal pace... well hell, if Luff and Wagner got the minutes Grundy got they might have exceed those.. I saw more production, more physicality, more improvement and potential from Luff and Wagner tahn i did in Grundy's small sample size.. Although all told, they're all bottom 6 guys who could likely step up to a top 6 role for a few games.. or more:sarcasm:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
That's a given bu they're not getting traded anytime soon or should i say soon enough.. Also, dont forget the flack people got for saying Iafallo is tradeable...
As for the 20 goal pace... well hell, if Luff and Wagner got the minutes Grundy got they might have exceed those.. I saw more production, more physicality, more improvement and potential from Luff and Wagner tahn i did in Grundy's small sample size.. Although all told, they're all bottom 6 guys who could likely step up to a top 6 role for a few games.. or more:sarcasm:

Luff may have a better SHOT....Grundstrom has a better all-around game...he hits often and hits hard...Luff, not as much. Grundstrom has better finish around the net.
Sample size? He cannot help that and he certainly is never going back to Ontario. He had good presence and play every game...even when he wasn't scoring, he was
effective.

There's a reason Luff was sent down twice...and told to work harder. I am impressed with Luff and he certainly has a great shot and looks confident...no deer in the headlights
kind of guy and that's great...but ask any GM, Luff or Grundstrom, and not one would say Luff.

Besides, Luff would have never scored 17 goals in the SHL at 18 years old. You're underestimating Carl.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Luff may have a better SHOT....Grundstrom has a better all-around game...he hits often and hits hard...Luff, not as much. Grundstrom has better finish around the net.
Sample size? He cannot help that and he certainly is never going back to Ontario. He had good presence and play every game...even when he wasn't scoring, he was
effective.

There's a reason Luff was sent down twice...and told to work harder. I am impressed with Luff and he certainly has a great shot and looks confident...no deer in the headlights
kind of guy and that's great...but ask any GM, Luff or Grundstrom, and not one would say Luff.

Besides, Luff would have never scored 17 goals in the SHL at 18 years old. You're underestimating Carl.

I'm not, I just see another 3rd line guy similar to what we already have..

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I'm not, I just see another 3rd line guy similar to what we already have..

Grundstrom is way better than ALL of the King 3rd line players since at least 2014. Guess it will take until about Christmas to be seen and proven...but it may not
be possible to, if he's on the 2nd line.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As for the 20 goal pace... well hell, if Luff and Wagner got the minutes Grundy got they might have exceed those.. I saw more production, more physicality, more improvement and potential from Luff and Wagner tahn i did in Grundy's small sample size
Hey I like Luff and Wagner. I hope you're right because that would be a very good thing for us, but it doesn't change the fact that Grundstrom should be in the NHL right now.

Grundstrom, Luff, and Wagner all produced better than Iafallo relative to their ice. Clifford would probably out produce Iafallo if he got the same opportunity.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey I like Luff and Wagner. I hope you're right because that would be a very good thing for us, but it doesn't change the fact that Grundstrom should be in the NHL right now.

Grundstrom, Luff, and Wagner all produced better than Iafallo relative to their ice. Clifford would probably out produce Iafallo if he got the same opportunity.

I just want to see the lines TMac has in mind... then we can all try and kill him after!!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
You do realize the amount of ice time Grundstrom received over those two right..
Grundstrom 14+min
Luff 8+ min
Wagner 11+ min

Luff had what 8 goals in like +/- 20 game span then got dumped back to Ontario, had he stayed who knows were he ends up.. same with Wagner and i'd even include Amadio in this..
I'd bet if Luff gets those 14+min. he easily outscores Grundstrom ... Wagner also got a huge jump in minutes towards the end of the season and contributed 8 pts in 14 games...

I'll take the greater sample in Luff and Wagner

Why do you think he got minutes and the others did not?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I was able to go to the rink and catch a few Marlies playoff games during their Calder Cup run last season and I can tell you Grundstrom was an important piece in them winning that championship.

He was a bull in the games I saw him play. Loved his competitiveness and you could see at times he was getting under the oppositions skin.

I thought he was pretty responsible away from the puck as well.

I think he can eventually be a guy that you can move up and down the lineup fairly comfortably.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Why do you think he got minutes and the others did not?

Could have been many things though the wanting to see what they had just acquired certainly could have been #1.... you can use any reasoning you’d like the fact remains that when Wagner and Luff scored the team usually won.. that’s not to say it was all thanks to them but they played big roles in those wins.. it’s not that I’m underestimating Grundstrom more so than you’re underestimating both Wagner and Luff

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
all i want is for tmac to make the lines based on the beat players available. if guys arent pulling their weight, they sit, regardlessof contract

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Not sure if mentioned..

Nikolay Prokhorkin's entry-level contract came with an assignment clause.

If Prokhorkin doesn't make the Kings' roster out of training camp, he could end up back in Europe rather than the AHL. Prokhorkin scored 20 goals and 41 points in 41 KHL games this season. He'll turn 26-years-old on Sept. 17. If he does head back to Europe, the Kings would still control his NHL rights. Of course, this is all only relevant if he doesn't make the Kings' squad. There's a very good chance that he will be part of their opening game roster.
Source: LAKingsInsider

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure if mentioned..

Nikolay Prokhorkin's entry-level contract came with an assignment clause.

If Prokhorkin doesn't make the Kings' roster out of training camp, he could end up back in Europe rather than the AHL. Prokhorkin scored 20 goals and 41 points in 41 KHL games this season. He'll turn 26-years-old on Sept. 17. If he does head back to Europe, the Kings would still control his NHL rights. Of course, this is all only relevant if he doesn't make the Kings' squad. There's a very good chance that he will be part of their opening game roster.
Source: LAKingsInsider

He's a good bet to make the roster...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So I brought up Evgeni Dadonov earlier, who has had a very interesting career and is a rare late bloomer who exploded offensively in his late 20s.

The Panthers selected Dadonov in 2007 with the 71st pick in the third round. His numbers weren't eye popping in Russia, and he signed and came over to play in North America in 2009, putting up 40 points in 76 games in the AHL.

In his second season with the Panthers, he appeared in 36 games and scored 17 points, and had 16 points in 24 games in the minors.

Dadonov was traded to Carolina in his third year, the 2011-12 season. He only appeared in 15 NHL games and scored three points, and 55 games in the minors, only putting up 28 points.

He'd spend the next five seasons in the KHL, where he finally broke out offensively in his mid-late 20s, and he returned to the Panthers in 2017-18, putting up 28 goals and 65 points in 74 games. This past season, Dadonov scored 28 goals and 70 points in 82 games.

He's now 30 with a $4,000,000 contract and set to become a UFA next summer.

I'm not suggesting Prokhorkin will be scoring 60 or 70 points in his first season here, but I would like to think that Dadonov sets an example there is hope that a Russian player in his mid-late 20s can come in here and provide an impact offensively. Of course, there are other examples of these types of guys failing to produce, like Nichushkin coming back to Dallas and being a disaster there, but guys like Panarin and Radulov coming here and being successful point producers gives me a glimmer of hope.

Given how poor Jeff Carter performed as a center last season, I think that they should give Prokhorkin a long look there until he proves he doesn't belong there. Put a talented player in a position to succeed, and for crying out loud, don't put him on a line with Trevor Lewis.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
So I brought up Evgeni Dadonov earlier, who has had a very interesting career and is a rare late bloomer who exploded offensively in his late 20s.

The Panthers selected Dadonov in 2007 with the 71st pick in the third round. His numbers weren't eye popping in Russia, and he signed and came over to play in North America in 2009, putting up 40 points in 76 games in the AHL.

In his second season with the Panthers, he appeared in 36 games and scored 17 points, and had 16 points in 24 games in the minors.

Dadonov was traded to Carolina in his third year, the 2011-12 season. He only appeared in 15 NHL games and scored three points, and 55 games in the minors, only putting up 28 points.

He'd spend the next five seasons in the KHL, where he finally broke out offensively in his mid-late 20s, and he returned to the Panthers in 2017-18, putting up 28 goals and 65 points in 74 games. This past season, Dadonov scored 28 goals and 70 points in 82 games.

He's now 30 with a $4,000,000 contract and set to become a UFA next summer.

I'm not suggesting Prokhorkin will be scoring 60 or 70 points in his first season here, but I would like to think that Dadonov sets an example there is hope that a Russian player in his mid-late 20s can come in here and provide an impact offensively. Of course, there are other examples of these types of guys failing to produce, like Nichushkin coming back to Dallas and being a disaster there, but guys like Panarin and Radulov coming here and being successful point producers gives me a glimmer of hope.

Given how poor Jeff Carter performed as a center last season, I think that they should give Prokhorkin a long look there until he proves he doesn't belong there. Put a talented player in a position to succeed, and for crying out loud, don't put him on a line with Trevor Lewis.

Good comment, I think Prokhorkin will prove himself to be a blessing for us next season. I hope guys like Bulat Shafigullan and Alexander Dergachyov get their opportunities and come over before their mid-late 20s..

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Playing in the AHL wouldnt harm his development one bit. If he has potential to become a top 6 player then let him play those minute in Onatrio, last season was his 1st in the AHL and he didnt exactly set the world on fire.. Wagner and Luff might be rough around the edges but they showed me much more than what Grundstrom did... I look at Luff and Grundstrom and I come away with the impression that Luff plays faster, more physical and his equal if not better as a scorer... Not knocking the kid but if hes starting it needs to be on teh 3rd or 4th line along with those guys and Amadio... with Lewsi and Clifford having been moved because those kids need to play! no more BS like the last few seasons of dicking the kids around ...

Iafallo - Kempe - Luff
Grundstrom - Amadio - Wagner

To me at least look pretty damn dynamic as 3rd and 4th lines... certainly much better than the crap
we've had the last few seasons
Grundstrom was playing against professionals when others were still playing in juniors. Who cares last season was his first year in the AHL. 17 goals in just 35 games the year before in the SEL and another full season in 2016/2017.

He might not have impressed you but that is probably because you set the bar too high with him.

Nobody agrees with you because he is less raw than Luff and Wagner who I both like. In the end both Luff and Wagner might become better players, sure.

Right now Grundstrom will be on the opening roster in favour of Luff.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Grundstrom was playing against professionals when others were still playing in juniors. Who cares last season was his first year in the AHL. 17 goals in just 35 games the year before in the SEL and another full season in 2016/2017.

He might not have impressed you but that is probably because you set the bar too high with him.

Nobody agrees with you because he is less raw than Luff and Wagner who I both like. In the end both Luff and Wagner might become better players, sure.

Right now Grundstrom will be on the opening roster in favour of Luff.

My issue, even though i dont think playing in the AHL a few games is detrimental for him is with posters on here assuming the kid is starting on the 2nd line.. he isnt, that spot is likely Prokhorkin's to lose, who i must say has top 6 written all over him. Grundstrom has grit, is physical-ish and can score, but where was i wrong in saying the guy is a bottom 6, 3rd line player? People get offended when i say we have many bottom 6 type and we do.. Amadio, Wagner, Luff, JAD, Iafallo, Kempe, and now Grundstrom all bottom 6 guys that bring different elements to this team..
As for rawness, well yes Wagner and Luff are but my point remains that had they be given Grundy's TOI, they would have produced at a similar pace. I look at the 7 guys i mentioned and i envision us having a simila scoring threat to what the SJS have with Donskoi on the 4th line.
For those that dont agree with me, well i dont care. I've been right much more than i've been wrong when I post here.. I mean this is an opinion based board;)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
My issue, even though i dont think playing in the AHL a few games is detrimental for him is with posters on here assuming the kid is starting on the 2nd line.. he isnt, that spot is likely Prokhorkin's to lose, who i must say has top 6 written all over him. Grundstrom has grit, is physical-ish and can score, but where was i wrong in saying the guy is a bottom 6, 3rd line player? People get offended when i say we have many bottom 6 type and we do.. Amadio, Wagner, Luff, JAD, Iafallo, Kempe, and now Grundstrom all bottom 6 guys that bring different elements to this team..
As for rawness, well yes Wagner and Luff are but my point remains that had they be given Grundy's TOI, they would have produced at a similar pace. I look at the 7 guys i mentioned and i envision us having a simila scoring threat to what the SJS have with Donskoi on the 4th line.
For those that dont agree with me, well i dont care. I've been right much more than i've been wrong when I post here.. I mean this is an opinion based board;)
There was one person who said Grundstrom was ready for Top 6 DUTIES. One.

You said he had done squat and the rest is history.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
There was one person who said Grundstrom was ready for Top 6 DUTIES.

You said he had done squat and the rest is history.

There are various posts where Grundstrom is assumed to be Tyler Toffoli on the second line with Carter moved to RW... and as ive said before, he could be able to do spot duty on the top 6 but ive seen more from Luff and especially Wagner .. You said he's played against men but correct if him wrong but the AHL is better than anything in Europe not named KHL.. and Both Wagner and Luff did that..

My question still remains the same, what did Grundstrom do in his 15-ish NHL games that helped folks on here to project that hes better than the other 2?? I mean, better scorer? why-how?? Physicality, he throws his body and got a couple of hits but Wagner & Luff did the same... The one thing i've always noticed about the Kings board, our board is that we always underestimate and underrate our prospects.

I look at it like this, I've seen Austin Wagner whom some thought of as a fringe NHLer turn into a Juniors scorer, then slowly started rounding out his game in Ontario for a season then was called up and looks like he'll stay up.. Matt Luff has followed a similar trajectory, and had he stayed a full season in Onatrio he likely would have been a PPG player..

Now lets see what happens next season and we can revisit this discussion...

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
There are various posts where Grundstrom is assumed to be Tyler Toffoli on the second line with Carter moved to RW... and as ive said before, he could be able to do spot duty on the top 6 but ive seen more from Luff and especially Wagner .. You said he's played against men but correct if him wrong but the AHL is better than anything in Europe not named KHL.. and Both Wagner and Luff did that..
AHL is not a better league than the SEL but certainly more close to the NHL because of the rink size.

Yet point is, you labeled him as some kind of rookie while he already had years of professional hockey under his belt. Exactly the stuff you thought was important. I think you forgot/didnt know he played in the SEL. :nod:

Reactions: cyclones22

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You really don't know what you have till the prospect produces at least two consistent seasons in the NHL. Congrats to Porky he finally made it to the NHL, hopefully he boosts the Kings scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad