Confirmed with Link: Nikolai Prokhorkin Signs One-Year Entry-Level Contract with LA Kings

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Brown is good.

And expensive. Sutter isn't here anymore. Brown isn't playing on the 3rd line, regardless of whether he should or not(and he shouldn't).

Remember in January, the insiders with at least SOME knowledge - Hoven and Rosen even, basically 'found out' that they were trying to move several players....and not a single team would take Carter at deadline and they were peddling Toffoli too, but not liking the offers...if Martinez didn't get injured, bet he would have been dealt.
Now? The plan to move all these guys has not changed...except probably even more players - the only one they may keep to see how he does, is Toffoli.

The Plan has started. It's in motion. Very few probably have seen it. TM said he 'saw it' and all mapped out over a few seasons. You'd best believe when they talk about bringing in youth and getting the age to 24-25, that means """"""FOR CERTAIN"""""" AND NO MATTER HOW""""""""" several more 30+ players will be gone. These are all the 30s players: Martinez, Lewis, Carter, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Phaneuf, Kovalchuk. May be missing a few. Expect a minimim of 3 to be gone...or even 4. 'The Plan' has that one known thing that is part of it: get to age 24-25 avg. Only one way that happens.

There are way too many players that were shuttling back and forth all year to Ontario: Wagner, Luff, Amadio, Walker, Roy, MacDermid, Rempal. Now add: Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Prokhrkin, Michael Anderson, Clague, Brickley. And Lizotte. (the kid may surprise) SO, it's even going to be worse than last year. You may say "fine, they need to earn jobs and they need time in Ontario" To that, there's some balance in there - Its disruptive and not good to shuttle 1-3 players every 10 days back and forth. It's terrible, actually. The player comes up and makes 2 mistakes and goes back....I do not think they want this. Bad for everyone. I think the plan PREFERS Wagner, Prokhorkin, and probably 1 of Clague / Brickley / Michael Anderson to make it. And 1 of the other forwards - probably Amadio. Like 4 PERMANENT new players that are non shuffling. How? Move Carter, Lewis, Martinez for starters and yes, buyout Phaneuf. But but but have you seen the years and dollars?? The plan does not have Phaneuf and probably 2 others are not even on the plan list. They are gone 'already'.

I recall Hoven saying "half this current roster won't be here September" and he was shocked. What struck me, is that Hoven is a raw raw guy for almost every King player and not one to
say "the Kings are moving half the team" He's more of a 'Toffoli over / under 27 goals next year" type of guy. So you know the 'half the team gone by Sept" was not his idea or wanting that. Those words came from one og his sources. It's not possible, but this is not "lets see how Carter, Lewis, Phaneuf, Quick do" Bet the plan does not mention anything about "let's see how...."

Yes, over a few seasons makes sense in a hard cap league. Nobody wants old players with multiple years on their contracts. The Kings will be active at the deadline, when some of these older players are UFA playoff rentals, but nobody needs Lewis is October.

Speaking of the average age being 24-25, Prokhorkin will be 26 when he finally plays his first NHL game, so they've already added a player older than their hoped for range. This is not going to be a fast process. You're likely going to have to be patient. This massive roster overhaul is very likely not going to happen in one summer. There's no rush to get 20 year old's in the lineup. Not when we're talking about 20 year old's that aren't team altering talent. Let them all fill out the roster in Ontario. More of those guys down there is good. That means fewer Moulson's or whatever other pointless AHL vets are hanging around for no good reason other than the organization having zero depth.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Remember in January, the insiders with at least SOME knowledge - Hoven and Rosen even, basically 'found out' that they were trying to move several players....and not a single
team would take Carter at deadlin
e and they were peddling Toffoli too, but not liking the offers...if Martinez didn't get injured, bet he would have been dealt.
Now? The plan to move all these guys has not changed...except probably even more players - the only one they may keep to see how he does, is Toffoli.

The Plan has started. It's in motion. Very few probably have seen it. TM said he 'saw it' and all mapped out over a few seasons. You'd best believe when they
talk about bringing in youth and getting the age to 24-25, that means """"""FOR CERTAIN"""""" AND NO MATTER HOW""""""""" several more 30+ players

will be gone. These are all the 30s players: Martinez, Lewis, Carter, Quick, Brown, Kopitar, Phaneuf, Kovalchuk. May be missing a few. Expect a minimim
of 3 to be gone...or even 4. 'The Plan' has that one known thing that is part of it: get to age 24-25 avg. Only one way that happens.

There are way too many players that were shuttling back and forth all year to Ontario: Wagner, Luff, Amadio, Walker, Roy, MacDermid, Rempal.
Now add: Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Prokhrkin, Michael Anderson, Clague, Brickley. And Lizotte. (the kid may surprise) SO, it's even going to be worse than last year. You may say "fine, they need to earn jobs and they need time in Ontario" To that, there's some balance in there -
Its disruptive and not good to shuttle 1-3 players every 10 days back and forth. It's terrible, actually. The player comes up and makes 2 mistakes and goes back....I do not think they want this. Bad for everyone. I think the plan PREFERS Wagner, Prokhorkin, and probably 1 of Clague / Brickley / Michael Anderson to make it. And 1 of the other forwards - probably Amadio. Like 4 PERMANENT new players that are non shuffling. How? Move Carter, Lewis, Martinez for starters and yes, buyout Phaneuf. But but but have you seen the years and dollars?? The plan does not have Phaneuf and probably 2 others are not even on the plan list. They are gone 'already'.

I recall Hoven saying "half this current roster won't be here September" and he was shocked.
What struck me, is that Hoven is a raw raw guy for almost every King player and not one to
say "the Kings are moving half the team"
He's more of a 'Toffoli over / under 27 goals next year" type of guy. So you know the 'half the team gone by Sept" was not his idea or wanting that. Those words came from one og his sources. It's not possible, but this is not "lets see how Carter, Lewis, Phaneuf, Quick do" Bet the plan does not mention anything about "let's see how...."

I am a regular reader of John Hovens and don't recall him saying anything like the bolded statement So i was hoping u can back up your statements with a link or two. Yes he said there will be change but not how soon said change will be made. As far as us loosing that many player that fast your dreaming because that sorta roster turn over will take year or two not over the summer.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Saw this guy at training camp/tryouts at el segundo in 2013. Not sure why he was sent directly to the AHL. He has a great shot and skates very well.

So glad hes gonna be on the team this year. He will surprise a lot of people.

Because he had to put in his time in the AHL and earn a spot.. no matter how good he looked in camp

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I hope Prokhorkin gets put up front on a line with Kopitar...maybe Kovalchuk too...now that's talent and skill...and Iafallo and Brown gets put on the 3rd line where they belong!

Brown does not belong on the 3rd line. He is a good top 6 forward.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I am a regular reader of John Hovens and don't recall him saying anything like the bolded statement So i was hoping u can back up your statements with a link or two. Yes he said there will be change but not how soon said change will be made. As far as us loosing that many player that fast your dreaming because that sorta roster turn over will take year or two not over the summer.

Hoven said (in January, I think) "the Kings are going to be moving several veterans and this team will be vastly different come September, with as much as half the roster gone"

It wasn't Hoven that said they want to get the AVERAGE AGE down to 24-25 next year...that was from 'Bluc' or even Rosen. Do not recall; but came from the top. The only way to
do that, is to move about half of the 10 30+ year olds and bring in 20-22 year olds. The 30+ that were moved: Thompson, Hagelin, and Muzzin (turned 30 a month after trade)
That leaves: Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez, Lewis, Kopitar, Brown, Quick, Phaneuf. I'm sure they'd love to jettison at least 3 more and will be bold enough to buyout Dion or
something that keeps him away from start of camp. This aint gonna be 2018-19 anymore: players (77, 3 ) that can no longer play NHL hockey and 8 young players going back
and forth to Ontario weekly. New team, new roster, new style. If playoffs aren't the goal, you can play Clague, Luff, and JAD all year, if they're ready...kind of like Wagner, Roy,
and Walker thrown in there and they BASICALLY played almost every game once they were inserted. The plan dictates the Clagues, JADs and Luff's OVER the Lewis', Carters
and others; because contending is no longer the plan. So if Clague / Brickley / JAD / Kupari not ready, they will be in Ontario. But every year, there's the Iafallo's / Fantenberg's / Walkers / Roy's / Wagner's that surprise
and DO PLAY. It's more of that even more now. So expect a few of: Luff, Lizotte. JAD, Kupari, Mikey Anderson, Clague, Brickley, to be one of those aforementioned.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Hoven said (in January, I think) "the Kings are going to be moving several veterans and this team will be vastly different come September, with as much as half the roster gone"

It wasn't Hoven that said they want to get the AVERAGE AGE down to 24-25 next year...that was from 'Bluc' or even Rosen. Do not recall; but came from the top. The only way to
do that, is to move about half of the 10 30+ year olds and bring in 20-22 year olds. The 30+ that were moved: Thompson, Hagelin, and Muzzin (turned 30 a month after trade)
That leaves: Carter, Kovalchuk, Martinez, Lewis, Kopitar, Brown, Quick, Phaneuf. I'm sure they'd love to jettison at least 3 more and will be bold enough to buyout Dion or
something that keeps him away from start of camp. This aint gonna be 2018-19 anymore: players (77, 3 ) that can no longer play NHL hockey and 8 young players going back
and forth to Ontario weekly. New team, new roster, new style. If playoffs aren't the goal, you can play Clague, Luff, and JAD all year, if they're ready...kind of like Wagner, Roy,
and Walker thrown in there and they BASICALLY played almost every game once they were inserted. The plan dictates the Clagues, JADs and Luff's OVER the Lewis', Carters
and others; because contending is no longer the plan. So if Clague / Brickley / JAD / Kupari not ready, they will be in Ontario. But every year, there's the Iafallo's / Fantenberg's / Walkers / Roy's / Wagner's that surprise
and DO PLAY. It's more of that even more now. So expect a few of: Luff, Lizotte. JAD, Kupari, Mikey Anderson, Clague, Brickley, to be one of those aforementioned.

Those two I highlighted will not be moved, either the contract is too long, too much money, too old, or they still view them as part of the solution... Blake could have moved Brownie last season while he was having a resurgent season and didnt, he didnt do it in the offseason and went so far as to say he is part of the core.. The only way Kopitar is moved is if they are going to a full kid roster and that would be ugly, expensive(no Fans), and likely turns this rebuild into a 8-10 year cluster f..u..c..k.. of a rebuild..

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Brown does not belong on the 3rd line. He is a good top 6 forward.
Brown was a good top 6 forward that has had a resurgence(how much has he depended on Kopitar) but he's going to be 35 in November. Kings need young blood and faster legs...Wagner,Thomas,Anderson-Dolan,Kupari,Rempal immediately come to mind as would a Alex Turcotte! I'll say it again Prokhorkin needs to be put on a line with Kopi or Carts since Grundstrom(natural RWing) should play LW with Kempe!

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Brown was a good top 6 forward that has had a resurgence(how much has he depended on Kopitar) but he's going to be 35 in November. Kings need young blood and faster legs...Wagner,Thomas,Anderson-Dolan,Kupari,Rempal immediately come to mind as would a Alex Turcotte! I'll say it again Prokhorkin needs to be put on a line with Kopi or Carts since Grundstrom(natural RWing) should play LW with Kempe!

NHL
Prokhorkin -
is going to be a good player, baseliine is 45pts would be surprised with 60pts
Kempe - needs to play LW because he just doesnt cut it at C. Too much overthinking
Wagner - is going to likely start on the bottom 6 and thats ok, still expect hiom to pot 15g

AHL
Thomas
- needs to prove himself in the AHL before anyhting so youre thinking too far ahead
Anderson-Dolan - loses nothing by starting the season in Ontario, but has lots to gain
Kupari - getting accustomed to the NA style game in Ontario is best for him
Rempal - is fodder-ish or he may or may not make it, looked great the 1st half then got benched
Grundstrom - has done squat to earn any top 6 time, last season was his first season in the AHL and starting there wouldnt hurt him in any way..

This isnt fantasy league, these guys make serious money which is why theyre not getting traded, no one wants them or they'll play them with the hope they can recoup value..
Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Brown
Prokhorkin - Carter - Toffoli
Iafallo - Kempe - Lewis
Clifford - Amadio - Wagner
is the likely way they start the season but i dont expect them to finish that way even if theyre in the playoff hunt or even if they make it... guys are getting moved so bet on Toffoli being the first domino to fall

Reactions: go4hockey

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
NHL
Prokhorkin -
is going to be a good player, baseliine is 45pts would be surprised with 60pts
Kempe - needs to play LW because he just doesnt cut it at C. Too much overthinking
Wagner - is going to likely start on the bottom 6 and thats ok, still expect hiom to pot 15g

AHL
Thomas
- needs to prove himself in the AHL before anyhting so youre thinking too far ahead
Anderson-Dolan - loses nothing by starting the season in Ontario, but has lots to gain
Kupari - getting accustomed to the NA style game in Ontario is best for him
Rempal - is fodder-ish or he may or may not make it, looked great the 1st half then got benched
Grundstrom - has done squat to earn any top 6 time, last season was his first season in the AHL and starting there wouldnt hurt him in any way..

This isnt fantasy league, these guys make serious money which is why theyre not getting traded, no one wants them or they'll play them with the hope they can recoup value..
Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Brown
Prokhorkin - Carter - Toffoli
Iafallo - Kempe - Lewis
Clifford - Amadio - Wagner
is the likely way they start the season but i dont expect them to finish that way even if theyre in the playoff hunt or even if they make it... guys are getting moved so bet on Toffoli being the first domino to fall

Thomas is not eligible to play in the AHL next season. Grundstrom will never play another game in the AHL unless on a rehab assignment. The rest of the AHL takes are in line. Wags is a lifer on the bottom six, pretty hopeful on those Porkhorkin numbers, hope your right. A thumbs up for Kempe at LW. Hopefully McClelllan agrees.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Thomas is not eligible to play in the AHL next season. Grundstrom will never play another game in the AHL unless on a rehab assignment. The rest of the AHL takes are in line. Wags is a lifer on the bottom six, pretty hopeful on those Porkhorkin numbers, hope your right. A thumbs up for Kempe at LW. Hopefully McClelllan agrees.

I just dont see the hype with Grundstrom, he seems like a lesser version of Brownie.. He seems like a 3rd line grinder not a top 6 player to me

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I just dont see the hype with Grundstrom, he seems like a lesser version of Brownie.. He seems like a 3rd line grinder not a top 6 player to me

And I am very okay with an upper echelon 3rd liner that plays like Brown. Nothing wrong with that.

I also like Kempe on the wing as well. I know everybody seems to like to put two Swede’s together just for the heck of it but I think in this case both being Winger’s on the same line using their speed to bear down forchecking and their body to separate the puck would lead to a lot of offensive chances of the third line.

I think an ideal center would be a guy that can win drawers, keep up with the speed, and be able to dish passes to these two. I would like to see Amadio take the next step. The guy has size and skill and has produced at every level. I think our coaching change could do this guy a world of good

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
And I am very okay with an upper echelon 3rd liner that plays like Brown. Nothing wrong with that.

I also like Kempe on the wing as well. I know everybody seems to like to put two Swede’s together just for the heck of it but I think in this case both being Winger’s on the same line using their speed to bear down forchecking and their body to separate the puck would lead to a lot of offensive chances of the third line.

I think an ideal center would be a guy that can win drawers, keep up with the speed, and be able to dish passes to these two. I would like to see Amadio take the next step. The guy has size and skill and has produced at every level. I think our coaching change could do this guy a world of good

I still say that a 3rd line as follows would be pretty interesting
Kempe - Amadio - Wagner
You have a center that can pass and is a pest along with two speed demons that can snipe when they’re let loose.. Just me but I think this line allows each guy to play to their strength.. just my opinion though

Reactions: lumbergh

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I still say that a 3rd line as follows would be pretty interesting
Kempe - Amadio - Wagner
You have a center that can pass and is a pest along with two speed demons that can snipe when they’re let loose.. Just me but I think this line allows each guy to play to their strength.. just my opinion though

I could easily live with this line as well. It would be tenacious

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Because he had to put in his time in the AHL and earn a spot.. no matter how good he looked in camp

That's completely mad/poor execution on management if that were the case. Glad management has slowly changed/evolved.

I understand that certain people have to go through the AHL for training and development. But then again im no professional scout so im just talking from my POV.

But watching Kempe in the IIHL, seems like he's playing 3C (I think) and is doing quite well. Still not as efficient in faceoffs but hes had some solid passes and shots. Then again it was against Norway and Italy lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Dammit!! Even the damn Lakers got a better pick than we did !!! If I ever run into Gary Bettman, I’m punching that midget in the mouth...

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Expecting say 20 or so games with 5 goals and 8 points getting limited ice time with a few games riding the pine and then abruptly leaves team to go back to the KHL. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vino

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wait, we're now miffed that Porkins didn't make the team in 2013? Spot was his for the taking, he couldn't beat out some other youngsters--Toffoli, Pearson, et. al.--that you might remember as kind of important. Seriously guys, that's a year sandwiched between two Cups, if he was good enough, he could have taken a spot, but that was a team that he couldn't crack because he wasn't good enough for the top six and certainly wasn't going to outgrit Stoll and co.

And dumping Brown to the third line? Come on. Good veteran leader example that's actually still productive. Wait for him to actually slowly fall off while someone slowly takes his spot instead of unceremoniously dumping him just because of shiny new toys that have proven nothing.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

And that is where most scouts see him too. A very good NHL 3rd line player on the LW. Or a potential 2nd line player down the line or right now for the Kings due to our lack of top six. But he is not an AHL player. He plays the game with NHL structure, nothing for him to do in the AHL, which is why he won't go back down. Luff and Wagner are very rough around the edges in this area (structure) which is why they may bounce from time to time.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
And that is where most scouts see him too. A very good NHL 3rd line player on the LW. Or a potential 2nd line player down the line or right now for the Kings due to our lack of top six. But he is not an AHL player. He plays the game with NHL structure, nothing for him to do in the AHL, which is why he won't go back down. Luff and Wagner are very rough around the edges in this area (structure) which is why they may bounce from time to time.

Playing in the AHL wouldnt harm his development one bit. If he has potential to become a top 6 player then let him play those minute in Onatrio, last season was his 1st in the AHL and he didnt exactly set the world on fire.. Wagner and Luff might be rough around the edges but they showed me much more than what Grundstrom did... I look at Luff and Grundstrom and I come away with the impression that Luff plays faster, more physical and his equal if not better as a scorer... Not knocking the kid but if hes starting it needs to be on teh 3rd or 4th line along with those guys and Amadio... with Lewsi and Clifford having been moved because those kids need to play! no more BS like the last few seasons of dicking the kids around ...

Iafallo - Kempe - Luff
Grundstrom - Amadio - Wagner

To me at least look pretty damn dynamic as 3rd and 4th lines... certainly much better than the crap
we've had the last few seasons

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Brown isn't expensive at all considering where contracts are going out nowadays

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playing in the AHL wouldnt harm his development one bit. If he has potential to become a top 6 player then let him play those minute in Onatrio, last season was his 1st in the AHL and he didnt exactly set the world on fire.. Wagner and Luff might be rough around the edges but they showed me much more than what Grundstrom did... I look at Luff and Grundstrom and I come away with the impression that Luff plays faster, more physical and his equal if not better as a scorer... Not knocking the kid but if hes starting it needs to be on teh 3rd or 4th line along with those guys and Amadio... with Lewsi and Clifford having been moved because those kids need to play! no more BS like the last few seasons of dicking the kids around ...

Iafallo - Kempe - Luff
Grundstrom - Amadio - Wagner

To me at least look pretty damn dynamic as 3rd and 4th lines... certainly much better than the crap
we've had the last few seasons

NHL goal scoring pace over a full season in 2018-2019

Grundstrom 27 goals
Luff 20 goals
Wagner 16 goals

I'll take Grundstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad