Nikolai Kulemin

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Hey everyone. I wanted to know honest opinions of some non leaf fans about one of our brightest prospects Nikolai Kulemin. He's 21 and is playing in the RSL... in the previous season, he scored more goals and got more points than Ovechkin did when he was in the RSL (and he did it in less games); his stats were also very very close to Malkins.

He said he's going to honor his contract which has 1 more year left with his team in Russia and then will play for the Leafs. If he didnt sign that 1 year contract, there is no doubt he would be on the big club thing coming season; he's physically and mentally ready to play in the bigs.

Here are 2 clips of Kulemin... note they are both pretty similar.
Also note that power foward move he does a lot and his extra gear on defensemen ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7eIRcFeD2F4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qOuMTVr77B8

What do you all think his potential is? Who does he remind you of?

EDIT: forgot to mention, he also played on the top line with Ovehckin a couple years ago.

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I am a Leafs fan, so I am prohibited to comment.

But what the heck:

Kulemin is one of our brightest prospects, along with Tlusty, Stralman, and Pogge.

Also, his potential, and he reminds me of, is Owen Nolan.

Last edited:

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto

But what the heck:

Kulemin is one of our brightest prospects, along with Tlusty, Stralman, and Pogge.

Also, his potential, and he reminds me of, is Owen Nolan with more grit and scoring ability.
Not prohibited, but I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion who doesnt praise every leaf prospect lol.

Owen Nolan is a good comparaison... I was thinking he plays a lot like Ovechkin, with the almost exact same shot...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CaptainClutch;9849034 I was thinking he plays a lot like Ovechkin said:
lol...it's good that you are looking for opinions from non Leafs fans.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Also, his potential, and he reminds me of, is Owen Nolan with more grit and scoring ability.
so owen nolan with more scoring ability and more grit.

that would pretty much make kulemin a perennial 50-goal man while hitting everything and anyone in his path.

he'd be the most feared and effective russian of all time.

yeah, that's going to happen. :shakehead

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
so owen nolan with more scoring ability and more grit.

that would pretty much make kulemin a perennial 50-goal man while hitting everything and anyone in his path.

he'd be the most feared and effective russian of all time.

yeah, that's going to happen. :shakehead

Anything can happen.

But, I get your point, and I am going to edit my post.

freshhhhhh84

Oct 27, 2006
anything can indeed happen. he could break all of gretzky's scoring records.

but every team can point to a prospect and say that. anything can happen.

i think though we're looking for some realistic achievements for these guys.

Crosby?

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Watch the montage...

But what the heck:

Also, his potential, and he reminds me of, is Owen Nolan.

The montage of his goals this year show an extra gear, a lot of muscle to break past defensemen, and the ability to shoot even when he is off balance of falling down... He has incredibly soft hands, and the ability to make quick moves in a small space... Reminds me of Bure's hands, Ovechkin's nose for the net, and Bondra's ability to get the puck in from amazing places.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Erik Cole

Exactly.

If he can carry over the same level of play on a smaller ice surface and against grittier players, he'll be a Cole clone.

IMO
Upside-> Cole with better hands, less grit.

Probably going to be a per annual 30-40 goal and 55-65 point guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->