Prospect Info: Nikolai Kovalenko RW (2018 171th overall)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd really like to see a player like this eventually don an Avs jersey and be a useful player, but I'm convinced he'll be trade bait in the next season or two.
I hope not. Having a bottom 6er on an ELC will be pretty useful in a couple years.

Kovid-51!:yo:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope not. Having a bottom 6er on an ELC will be pretty useful in a couple years.

Kovid-51!:yo:

Agreed, I would rather they hold onto him, especially given that they still haven't proven their talent development is on track yet, but I still think he's going to be part of a package deal, much like his old man was 20 years ago. Of course, if Nikolai also lands a generational talent in goal, I'm all for it.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Agreed, I would rather they hold onto him, especially given that they still haven't proven their talent development is on track yet, but I still think he's going to be part of a package deal, much like his old man was 20 years ago. Of course, if Nikolai also lands a generational talent in goal, I'm all for it.
I'm confused....Keane wasn't a goalie.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As always its tough to tell from just the highlights, but he does seem to forecheck well and find space in the dirty areas. For anyone that has watched a lot of him, does that generally track with his style of play? Or are the highlights exaggerating? Either way I'm pretty excited about this kid. Maybe we finally found a gem in the later rounds!
He’s so balls to the wall all the time that he toes the line. I love the tenacity and fearlessness he plays with. Sometimes he goes over the line but that’s what you have to live with. He’s relentless, like a dog on a bone with the puck. Idk how it’s really going to work out here but he’ll get his shot, he’s a legit player.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Some guy named Rah(sp?) was a throw in on that deal. Forget what happened to him. It was so long ago.
Reminds me of when I was a child and watched a game of Roy for the first time... I had the hardest time figuring out who the "Waah" guy was who the commentator kept referring to every time "Roy" (english phonetics) made a save :laugh: :huh:

Reactions: McMetal

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If his trade yields us another Patrick Roy and 2 cups. Sign me up.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'll take him at his word about the contract offers. It fits the Avs MO with European prospects to want to keep them close. I'm sure they would have liked to have him in Loveland. It also fits the trend of Russians to not want to spend significant time in the AHL, which is understandable. Given the Avs development record, it was probably wise of him to develop in the KHL for as long as possible. Hope he comes over someday.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I read it too, summer of 2021 anyway, he said he was considering the ELC before signing with Ak Bars. It was an interview, direct quote.

I always felt like he’d come over eventually because he very much wants to follow in his father’s footsteps but with the political climate that it is with Russia now I’m not sure if he has any extra pressure to stay.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

On his contact with the Avalanche:

“We are always in touch with them. They called me, but I am of the opinion that we need to get stronger and spend the season even better. Only then it will be possible to think about the NHL.

Yes (I watch them), and not only for them. I generally watch the NHL: I watched both the games and the highlights.”

So yes, he’s noncommittal on joining the Avalanche, but I would have been surprised if he said anything else.

It should also be noted that his dad, Andrei Kovalenko, spoke in a separate interview, and was asked about Nikolai’s plans…

"Yes, thanks to the trust of the coaching staff of Igor Larionov, Kovalenko succeeded in the last season in Nizhny Novgorod – both in the regular season and in the playoffs. But we spoke with Nikolai, and he agreed with me that even an average hockey player can give out one strong season.

Only stability distinguishes the middle peasant from the great master. Therefore, in the upcoming season, Nikolai is obliged to play at least as well – and take this step towards the master. He sets himself up to solve this problem.

I know that from the “Colorado” there is a steady interest. Moreover, the NHL season was not entirely successful for this club, while Nikolai, along with Torpedo, grew well.

But when to leave for the NHL is up to Nikolai to decide next summer, when his contract with Nizhny is terminated. He deliberately chose the KHL and so far proves that he is right. Although there are other examples – the same long-term partner of his son in Lokomotiv and the youth team, Grigory Denisenko, who has been making his way through the AHL to Florida for several seasons. Until everything works out."

Not terribly different from what was said months ago. They continue to point out Denisenko as an example of why they don’t have any interest in the AHL.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Basically, he wants to have a proven, solid career over there for a few seasons. We aren't going to see him anytime soon. I jokingly said he would come over in his mid 30s, but who the hell knows at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Kovalenko doesn't come over after this season, he's never coming over.

I do think he comes over and given the relationships involved, I think he comes over in March/April. This will burn his ELC and set him up to be a RFA next summer. Where the Avs likely have to give him a 1 way deal with the ability to go back to Russia if demoted (I'd bet on a formal clause in the contract).

As a side effect, this would allow him to be a UFA at 27 instead of indefinite rights. Meaning, he could come over, burn the year, head back to Russia, then come back the summer of 2027 as a UFA. I very much doubt this would happen, but possibility is there.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Basically, he wants to have a proven, solid career over there for a few seasons. We aren't going to see him anytime soon. I jokingly said he would come over in his mid 30s, but who the hell knows at this point.
I can respect it. I'm a firm believer that European leagues are better for development than the AHL. I know what everyone's gonna say, small rink american style blah blah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad