Prospect Info: Nikolai Kovalenko RW (2018 171th overall)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
IIRC he's skilled but needs work on his skating. Worth a shot to see if he can improve that.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Really like this pick as well, there is upside here as well. All picks in those rounds are risky so I'm glad we take risk on high skill players.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's the deal here? Ranked 50th by Pronman and 66th by Hockey Prospect.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I was really hoping the Avs would take him not only because of who he is but the player as well. I think he is very underrated. Very good potential.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
What's the deal here? Ranked 50th by Pronman and 66th by Hockey Prospect.
Very underscouted because he hasn't played for the National Team or in the KHL.

Edit: Wait, that's Zhuravlyov. Meh, it works for Kovalenko as well. Also; Passport and Size Queens!

Reactions: Avs_19

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No nothing about him, but posted some ridiculous stats in a league that's very hard to score in. Late birthday though so he's one of the older kids in this draft. Perhaps we're hoping for a Ondrej Kase or Tomas Tatar type of player here?!

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well, maybe not too detailed, but what I see here is close to a full attacking package: skating, playmaking, handling the puck, overall understanding of the game, aggressiveness. The issue is the size and related stuff, also the shot is kind of mediocre. But speaking about the size, he had added 2 inches and 22 lbs during the last year, also he still looks rather young for the 18 year old, which might mean that his growth spurt isn't over yet. Worth mentioning that he recorded 4 hits on his KHL debut, as he isn't shy of physical stuff.

No idea, I don't think he has been ranked in most of the rankings. To me, he looks like someone, who can easily fall to the 5th round and at this point you take him and run.

I like it!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Saw some highlights yesterday, he's very dynamic with the puck while being shifty and crafty. Tends to make plays out of nothing which is something you like to see. Crazy, I swear I thought this name sounded familiar when we picked him yesterday, like father like son I guess!

His draft thread on the main board has a million highlights from the good work that @Caser does.

Reactions: Caser

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If he has his father's genes size should not be an issue. His dad wasn't nicked "Tank" for nothing. Good value on a late pick. Could be a real late bloomer taking some steps forward in the next couple of years.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams passed on him because his dad is the head of the KHL PA.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Only stat watching here but seems kinda weird that Grigori Denisenko went 15 and Kovalenko 171, despite Kovalenko clearly outscoring Denisenko both in the regular season and in the playoffs on the same team.

He's something like 9 months older than Denisenko, a little smaller, not as smooth or explosive, and he's less of a puck hound / less-tenacious. Plus, even though the kid is crafty in his own right, Denisenko's hands are just stupid. He can do things with the puck that I dunno if anyone on our team other than MacK can. Kovalenko, though a skilled SOB, doesn't have world class hands like that. Denisenko's basically just a supe'd up version with more ferocity against the puck.

At least from my limited viewings. As I really didn't watch much youth hockey this year at all...world cup year...

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This is my second favorite pick this year after Kaut. He could really be a steal. From what Hepple said in his interview it looks like he will be at rookie camp as he is already in NA.

Reactions: Cullen Bohannon

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What are the chances this kid comes to North America. I would have thought him being at the draft would be a good indicator of his desire to play in the NHL but maybe I'm wrong?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What are the chances this kid comes to North America. I would have thought him being at the draft would be a good indicator of his desire to play in the NHL but maybe I'm wrong?
You have to think that's a massive piece of good news, especially because his dad played in the NHL for a good while in the 90s. I don't see why he wouldn't after making the investment to come over for the draft, not many Russians do, it's halfway around the world by plane.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Oh c'mon, he was even born in US, why shouldn't he come to NA? :sarcasm: I think it depends on how good are Sakic's relationships with papa Kovalenko. But I'd say you don't want him to cross the pond too early, as, imo, despite being 1999 born, he looks like a late-blooming kid: for example, if you look at his measurement over the years, you can find that he just added 2 inches and 22 lbs. So I'd say he finishes his remaining year of the current contract and signs a 2 year extension and then he should be ready to cross the pond, as I think 3 years are definitely required for him to mature and, since he isn't in a Shvyryov situation, I think he doesn't need a change of environment for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad