Value of: Niklas Hjalmarsson to Toronto.

Ledge And Dairy

I would imagine the price would be similar to what Martinez got from Vegas. Due to uncertainty on staying healthy, a little less term, as well as cap constraints for Toronto I'll change up the trade a bit.

How about this.
To TOR
Nik Hjalmarsson (25% retained = 3.75M)

To ARI
Andreas Johnsson
2021 4th*
*if Hjalmarsson plays 35 games the 4th is upgraded to a 3rd, if he plays 55 games it is upgraded to a 2nd

Since Johnsson's contract was front loaded as well as this years signing bonus already being paid he is a good money saving middle 6 player for Arizona. Also Hjalmarsson is only owed 2M more for this upcoming season a 25% retention only costs the Yotes 500k.
For Toronto they move out an excess middle 6 winger and bring in a legitimate top pairing shut down guy (arguably the best shut down D in the league when healthy), while only taking on an extra 350k cap.

*Edit: just noticed the leafs dont have the available picks for my conditions due to the Clifford condition. Maybe make it 2022 picks instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
We would need to move salary. Not sure who would interest Arizona, I am guessing something like Johnsson+pick doesn't do enough.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I guess management wanted a younger player but I really wish the Canadiens went after Hjalmarsson instead of big Edmundson

Especially considering with the Seattle expansion draft we gonna expose Edmundson anyway

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I guess management wanted a younger player but I really wish the Canadiens went after Hjalmarsson instead of big Edmundson

Especially considering with the Seattle expansion draft we gonna expose Edmundson anyway

I agree I would have targeted him too

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
To Toronto
Hjalmarsson
To Arizona
Liljegren, 2nd 2020

Hjalmarsson also has a NMC he has to waive

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

One thing about that though is if we lose edmunson to the expansion draft it will have cost us a fifth round pick . That’s not a bad deal for us .

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could be wrong I would think Holl would be of interest because he is, younger, cheaper in both cap hit and cash and he is an NHL D man.

I am not saying 1 for 1 that's not happening but I'd suspect Holl would be part of it.

Ledge And Dairy

Cap hit he's cheaper but cash wise Andersen will only make 1 million
Ill clarify, if Arizona is trading Kuemper is is almost purely for futures. They will wanto to promote Hill and run him as the backup for Raanta. There is potential for a deal around Hjalmarsson to Toronto but Kuemper can probably bring in a very good haul on his own

Reactions: DarthProbert

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I like Hjalmarsson. But if Toronto is going to be paying 5 million for a defender, he had better be able to play 20+ minutes a game. Because that'll be the only blueline addition they can afford.

Hjalmmar hasn't averaged 20 minutes the last 2 years, getting under 19 on average this past season (shortened with covid and injury). That's not a good sign.

I don't think he's a guy Toronto would target. Right style, sure. But his 1 year remaining is too expensive if he can't handle top pair minutes. I'd offer the moon for Chychrun, but I bet Arizona is happy to keep him. So I don't see a deal to be made here.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like Hjalmarsson. But if Toronto is going to be paying 5 million for a defender, he had better be able to play 20+ minutes a game. Because that'll be the only blueline addition they can afford.

Hjalmmar hasn't averaged 20 minutes the last 2 years, getting under 19 on average this past season (shortened with covid and injury). That's not a good sign.

I don't think he's a guy Toronto would target. Right style, sure. But his 1 year remaining is too expensive if he can't handle top pair minutes. I'd offer the moon for Chychrun, but I bet Arizona is happy to keep him. So I don't see a deal to be made here.

They need a minimum of 2 guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad